Could Comodo damage a HDD?

Hi. Is it possible that Comodo Time Machine (or other comodo software) in ANY way could damage a hard drive?

CTM could possibly damage your file system, but I don’t see how it could cause physical damage.

Sorry if the question sounds silly, but just i had second time problem with hdd (after few months bad sectors - around 2000). At home have 2 laptops, and only this one has one of main software CTM).
Have no idea way it happen again, so I thought that some software could damage the hdd.
Is it possible that some software could do that? (excluding viruses)

Hi MartiX,

CTM or any other software should not be able to ‘physically’ damage your Hard Drive.

How old is the Laptop / Hard Drive ?

It sounds more like it is failing. As such I would recommend that you back-up all your Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music and anything else immediately in case it totally fails.

Once you have backed everything up go to this website:-

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-hd-health-monitoring-and-diagnostic-programs.htm

and use one of the programs listed ( or if you know the manufacturer of your Hard Disc, go to their website to see if they have a program ) and check your drive for any errors.

Let us know how you get on :slight_smile:

Thanks.
My story is :slight_smile: : 6 months after I bought laptop (Toshiba Satellite C660D) my hdd fails (reallocated sectors - value around 2000) - at this time was under warranty, so service changed hdd.
7 months after that (which is this days) hdd again this same problem, but unfortunately laptop is no any more under warranty, and for hdd was warranty onlu 3 months (services told this).
At the moment I’m installing OS and other stuff.
And I’m just wondering if it’s was only bad luck, or I installed some software which did with my hdd this thinks. I don’t wont to change hdd third time.

Slightly !ot!

Hi MartiX,

That would be very bad luck to have two go in such a short space of time :frowning:

Firstly, have a read here to see if this is what you are experiencing:- http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB1103360000R01.htm

Secondly, as it is a Laptop if it is being moved around or knocked whilst it is in use / powered up, this can cause the arms to touch the physical discs which can cause the problem?

I know that, but from smart table of hdd i see that this drive had G-sense error only 14, and on another laptop at my house G-sens is ower 300 and has non of bad sectors. As for me it is a little bit weird.
Thank you for the link, but it was story. As I said, I checked the values on smart table.

And sorry for the missing off topic :slight_smile:

Hi MartiX,

That’s O.K, sometimes it gets off topic when trying to help with a problem or question :slight_smile:

Hope you get to the bottom of the problem and sorry couldn’t be of anymore help :slight_smile:

Bob

Be sure and keep your HDD away from Magnetic fields like old fashioned tape recorder answering machines. Also if your place get’s steamy from a shower it is better to leave you laptop hot and running to protect from humidity.

Hello Martix. There is nothing wrong with your HD.

My intention is not to stir up a massive argument but simply to save you alot of grief. The issue you are describing was a common problem with very early versions of Rollback v8. Since CTM’s core is based on this early code of Rollback (there’s huge denial about this but the truth is the truth) then of coarse this issue also occurs in CTM.

My advise to you would be to uninstall CTM and wait for CTM v3 which to my understanding will be Comodo’s own code and i think would be interesting to see what they’ve done. If your system is too damaged you may have to reinstall a Clean OS then try CTM 3 when it is released.

Rollback has since moved on to v9 and an imminent v10 is to be released. Needless to say this issue has been resolved.

Goodluck

Hi carfal. Thank you for response.

Could you explain me a little bit more how CTM could damage a hdd? On both my disks the problem was “reallocated sectors”. Is it possible that for example CTM didn’t allow to park a heads, or something like that?

After my last exchange of HDD just in case I didn’t install CTM. So, last 2 weeks I spend looking for some other solution how to protect (by backups) my system.

It was never denied it was based on Rollback. It was never stolen from Rollback as has been suggested.

My advise to you would be to uninstall CTM and wait for CTM v3 which to my understanding will be Comodo's own code and i think would be interesting to see what they've done. If your system is too damaged you may have to reinstall a Clean OS then try CTM 3 when it is released.

Rollback has since moved on to v9 and an imminent v10 is to be released. Needless to say this issue has been resolved.

Goodluck

CTM is Comodo’s reworking of Rollback code so CTM cannot be reduced to being an older version of Rollback.

Reallocated sector count tracks the number of bad sectors that reallocated after the HD found it these sectors were broken. This is not the result of malfunctioning software but of the hardware its self. If the count keeps on going up the next couple of months your hd is likely failing and you may want to call in the warranty on it.

Ok. But how is possible that during 10 months 2 hdd had over 2000 reallocated sectors (each)? ??? The laptop is usually on my desk, when I moving it I’m doing this carefully.
And about warranty - the first change was free (under warranty), but second time I needed to pay myself, because for exchanged part, warranty was only for three months :frowning:

how is possible that during 10 months 2 hdd had over 2000 reallocated sectors (each)?

Good question ! But that’s a question that should be raised to your laptop seller ! ( maybe they repaired your 1st hdd and told you they had replaced it )

Suggest you take it back to them and file an official complain !

Apple is currently calling back certain series of their iMac’s because they have a certain serie of a hard drive that may cause problems.

Analogous to this may be you have drives from a faulty batch. As far as I understand hard drives this type of error is related to the hardware its self and not to software installed on a computer.

Could be. I don’t know what to think about it.

The two damaged hdd which I had were Toshiba. (now I bought Hitachi).
But the funny things is that I have also an external (usb) drive, also Toshiba which one time during the work it fell, hung on the cable and hit the desk !!
But nothing happen, non bad sectors, non relocated sectors.

The external drive may be a different series?

I hope things will go well with the Hitachi.

CTM does not physically damage the HD.

I found the post where HDS identified the bug and explains the issue.

Rollback uses device drivers to virtualize the Windows pagefiles for faster system bootup and system performance.

The pagefile virtualization has three modules:
The filter and redirect disk IOs to the pagefile
Be able to hook the pagfile on system bootup.
Be able to close the pagefile virtualization when system shuts down.

The bug is with the third module C… When shutting down a PC, supposedly Windows should wait for all processes and threads to exit and complete before shutting down the PC.

But we found out on some cases, the Windows system just shuts down regardless if there are still running processes or threads. In this case it’s Rollback’s module to close the pagefile virtualization.

In the case when the system shuts down before Rollback Rx closes the pagefile virtulization, there could be data in the pagefile that’s not committed to the hard disk.

Therefore the data on the hard disk could become inconsistent – missing the pieces from the pagefile.

And because the data on the hard disk are inconsistent, the Windows chkdsk will appear on reboots….

So the chkdisk is really not the problem, it’s just a symptom of the problem.

This bug is quite nasty, it’s certainly a level one bug. Because it could make files become corrupted over time – without obvious reasons.

This is an important fix and we have been instructed to update the build as soon as possible.

@EricJH

Thankyou for your reply and like i said I dont want a stone throwing contest to start so i’ll accept your replies for the sake of peace.

So getting back to Martix’s issue. We have a differing opinion where you think its a hardware issue and i believe its software, specifically CTM.

Martix, my advice is still the same. Format your drive and start again with a clean OS. Once your OS is installed run chkdsk using the following method

1. Open Windows Explorer
  2. right click drive C:
  3. select “properties”
  4. click on “tools” tab
  5. In the “error-checking” section select “check now”
  6. In the new window, make sure BOTH options are ticked
  7. If windows says something about forcing a dismount, select “cancel”
  8. then select the “schedule” button
  9. Now reboot

chkdsk will perform its normal check plus a detailed sector by sector read and write test. This will take a while but it should tell you if you really do have bad sectors or not. If it comes back clean then i submit that there really is nothing wrong with your HD. If it returns bad sectors then either you really are unlucky to have 2 HD fail on you or like james321888 suggest they tried repairing the original HD and never replaced it.

Either way you should get your answer.

Thx