Copy and Paste IP Addresses

Hello everybody

It would be very handy if one could copy and paste IP addresses to various forms of the user GUI.

So, happy voting :-TU

PS: I’m new here so please excuse and inform me if I violated some good practices.
I searched for a similar feature wish in the forum, but found it only in replays to other posts and without voting.

A similar request has been posted in the usability forum (which is accessable only to members with special privileges). The pic below is from the usability forum, and is a sample suggestion that incorporates your request.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks for the info.
Just judging from the screenshot I would say, not exactly the same:
actually I was thinking more about pasting IP addresses to the GUI (e.g. in firewall rules, network zones, etc.).

With the right-click menu I proposed (shown in my previous post), I was trying to eliminate the cumbersome need to copy and paste the IP, so that a single click would open the relevant settings and automatically paste in the IP.

“add to blocked network zones” = paste IP address into blocked zones
“edit defense+ policy” = paste into defense+
“edit firewall policy” = paste into firewall

Are there any other options we should add to the right-click menu to help minimize the need to cut and paste?

Nonetheless, it seems like adding the ability to paste the IP into the CIS GUI would be easy to implement and could certainly be useful.

Thanks for the explanation.
Very useful features :-TU

I was thinking of something much less sophisticated: just the possibility of pasting IP addresses from the clipboard. I’m not sure why it’s not working, because typing it with the ‘.’ characters is not a problem. Maybe preventing pasting is a security feature.

As to your question:
“add to my network zone…” = ask which and paste IP address to one of ‘my network zones’
would be useful.

Strongly agree. When entering an IP (in a rule, a zone, etc.) the fields work well, eg. after three digits cursor automatically advances to next octet, can be advanced by typing ‘.’ or pressing right arrow.

But, it would be very useful (at least to me) to be able to simply highlight the entire IP (not just a single octet) with the mouse, and click Ctl-C to copy, or click anywhere in the IP and click Ctl-V to paste the entire IP.

Actually I think one should be able to mouse-highlight and Ctl-C to copy anything from anywhere, whether it be in a rule definition, in the logs, etc.

In addition to my above comments regarding copy/paste, I was going to make the feature suggestion that after highlighting an IP (anywhere in Comodo), the user could invoke (by keyboard, mouse click, whatever) actions such as Whois, Traceroute, etc. My thought was that Comodo could allow the user to configure Helper Applications which would perform these actions.

But I see from the screenshot you posted earlier in this thread, that you already have something similar in mind, as the context menu contains entries to trace source/destination IP. If you simply expanded that a bit, and made it available in other areas of the firewall as well, it would be extremely useful!

Was it your intent that these capabilities would be built into the firewall? Or that they would be in a separate, linked module (much like ‘Helper Applications’). Either way, given the Comodo developer’s network experience, I think this would be great feature addition for the team to take on.

To be able to copy and paste addresses from the log would be useful too !?

+1

+1

+1

I wanted COPY IP’s from logs etc so as to paste into whois type programs,
but build in whois would be good IN ADDITION to being able to copy & paste
so as to use eg Gibson Research’s IDServe which is an Internet Server ID utility,
tells what is running on at a particular address or URL.

isnt it strange, that for a long time there was no posts here?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hmmm… being able to paste stuff is actually something I was working on a while back. I called it “adaptive address fields.” The thread is pretty old now so I’ll just repost it here. The system itself addresses more than just your request, but in part, it was designed so that you could paste all manner of IP addresses into a field rather effortlessly.

ADAPTIVE ADDRESS FIELDS & IPv6 SUPPORT

/ This system would be better for CIS even if IPv6 is not implemented with it.
/ There are no IPv6 toggles or switches.
/ CIS now allows the user to type their own periods/ colons/ hyphens.
/ CIS determines whether an address is IPv6, IPv4, or Mac by what is entered into the field by the user.

• Four sets (up to 3 digits), separated by three periods, constitutes an IPv4 address.
  • Eight hex sets (up to 4 digits), separated by seven colons, constitutes an IPv6 address.
  • An IPv6 address may have less than seven colons (and less than eight sets) as long as there is a pair of colons, or an Ipv4 address included.
  • If an Ipv4 address is included, there must be at most six sets and six colons preceding it (less if a pair of colons is present).
  • Six pairs of hex, separated by five colons, constitutes a mac address.
  • Six pairs of hex, separated by five hyphens, also constitutes a mac address.
  • There is no mac address drop down.

/ This makes for more fluid IP entry (no more digit lurching).
/ This accommodates the fact that most IPv6 addresses are abbreviated.
/ Punctuation is still auto-formatted to the extent that CIS adds a space on either side when a period or colon are inputed (for clearer readability).

• Consecutive colons are given no extra space between.
  • Hyphens are given no extra space, as they inherently provide strong visual separation.

/ Drop-downs options for address “type” include:

• “Any Address”
  • “Single Address”
  • “Address Range”
  • “IPv4 Mask”
  • “Host Name”
  • “Zone”

/ “Zone” is not present in the Edit Address (Network Address) window.
/ Only “Single Address” accepts mac addresses and hyphens.
/ “IPv4 Mask” does not accept colons or hyphens.
/ IPv6 addresses inherently contain a subnet mask, and so can be inputted in “Single Address.”

/ As the user types in the address a small marker displays on the right end of the field to give live feedback.

• “v4” shows: if the address is recognized as a complete IPv4 address.
  • “v6” shows: if the address is recognized as a complete IPv6 address.
  • “Mac” shows: if the address is recognized as a complete MAC address.
  • “?” shows: if the address is not recognized as a complete address.
  • “?” shows: in blank fields that need yet to be completed.
  • “!” shows: if dependent fields (Start:End) do not match IP type.
  • Mousing over the marker should launch a tool-tip that describes what it means.

/ Changes cannot be applied if fields are incomplete or incorrect.
/ Attempting to apply changes with incomplete or incorrect fields will trigger an error message.

+1

add to the blocked zones option is the most important ,and its really useful :wink:

+1