Containment - ShareX does not start in Containment at once.

V12.2.2.8012 (Firewall only) Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (clean install with all MS-updates)

ShareX-13.6.1-portable

Steps to replicate, after windows reboot and logon to desktop:

1. This step is optional, has no effect: Execute “Reset the Container”.
  2. ShareX.exe crashes each time when “Run in COMODO container” is selected.
  3. Execute “Reset the Container”.
  4. ShareX.exe now runs in the container when “Run in COMODO container” is selected and it popups an “ShareX - Hotkey registration failed” error Window.

After the next windows reboot and logon to desktop the same happens again.

Hi CISfan,

Thank you for reporting, we will check and update you.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Hi CISfan,

could you please check your inbox for private message and respond.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

The same happens also when using Virtual Desktop instead of Containment.

Hi CISfan,

We are checking on this.

Adding "C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security" to the AV Real-Time Protection exclusion doesn’t solve the issue unfortunately.

Additional information:

When I run ShareX at least one time normally (outside containment) before I start ShareX in containment then ShareX never crashes and runs in containment regardless the state of or toggling of (disable and enable again) the AV Real-Time Protection.
The Hotkey failure issue remains however.

Hi CISfan,

Thank you for the information, From your post/PM the hotkey failure issue occurs only when sharex is open in containment and no hotkey failure issue occurs while sharex runs in normal window right ?

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Hello C.O.M.O.D.O RT,

Yes correct, when I run ShareX in normal window (outside containment) than there is no Hotkey failure, all hotkeys are than correctly assigned (all green boxes are shown in ShareX Hotkey settings window). Also, toggling the AV Real-Time protection off/on has no influence on the Hotkey issue when ShareX runs in normal window, all hotkeys stay assigned correctly.

Hi CISfan,

Thank you, the hotkey issue of sharex in containment occurs when your AV(Avira protection) is disabled right ?

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Hello C.O.M.O.D.O RT,

I just checked again.
No, the ShareX hotkey issue always occurs when ShareX runs in containment whether I have Real-Time protection switched on or off, Real-Time protection on/off status does not affect the hotkey issue in containment.
Also, when I toggle Real-Time protection on-off-on (which causes ShareX to crash each time when trying to start it in containment) and then run ShareX in a normal window then after exiting ShareX and running ShareX in containment (no ShareX crash this time as explained earlier) the hotkey issue still persists.

Hi CISfan,

Thanks for the information, let me check and update you.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Hi CISfan,

Could you please check your inbox for PM and provide us the requested log.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Direct keyboard access is not allowed in containment, and the use of binding hotkeys is a form of direct keyboard access.

Ok understandable but ShareX manages to bind 4 out of 5 hotkeys successfully with 1 hotkey binding failing.
So in principle then all 5 hotkey bindings should be failing when ShareX runs in containment.

For the record, the issue as reported in OP still persists (the issue remains, no change) after restoring Windows 7 backup image.

If interested and if it helps to identify and to resolve the crash issue I can submit a code snippet in which the crash occurs.

Hi CISfan,

We have sent you a private message to collect cislog for further investigation.
So, kindly check and provide the log.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

On Windows 7 - CPFW 8026

Issue is not fixed.