Confused

I have been looking at a lot (but by no means all) of the entries in this forum, and I get a very different impression from these than I got in my first trip through the User Guide.

These are some of the things I think I have learned, but which might be misunderstandings.

1. CTM works on entire disks, not on partitions. If your boot drive is partitioned and all you wish to protect is the system partition you are out of luck.

2. CTM will not install if a system has software, like TrueCrypt, installed that CAN do full disk encryption, even if that software is used only to encrypt volumes that are in file containers. If you tricked CTM by, say, installing the encryption software afterward, the very existence of file containers on the protected disk would ■■■■■ things up for some obscure (to me) reason.

3. Image backup software that runs under the OS, like Macrium Reflect, is not compatible with CTM, so if you want to make full backups you have to use software that runs from an external medium and makes sector by sector backups of the entire drive, including free space.

4. It is not a very good idea to defrag a partition on a CTM protected disk if the defrag program runs under the OS.

Have I got it right, or have I misunderstood some or all of the threads I have read? ???

You can choose which partition to protect in CTM.
2-4 are right

CTM works on protected partitions. And the system partitions are default protected.

2. CTM will not install if a system has software, like TrueCrypt, installed that CAN do full disk encryption, even if that software is used only to encrypt volumes that are in file containers. If you tricked CTM by, say, installing the encryption software afterward, the very existence of file containers on the protected disk would ■■■■■ things up for some obscure (to me) reason.
[b]CTM is not compatible with same type of softwares and full disk encription softwares.[/b]
3. Image backup software that runs under the OS, like Macrium Reflect, is not compatible with CTM, so if you want to make full backups you have to use software that runs from an external medium and makes sector by sector backups of the entire drive, including free space.
4. It is not a very good idea to defrag a partition on a CTM protected disk if the defrag program runs under the OS.
[b]CTM works fine with defrag programs. However, we suggest users to defrag the protected partitions with CTM.[/b]

Hopefully it is helpful.
Best regards.

That helps a bit. But I’m still trying to see if I can preserve the use of TrueCrypt, as well as a way to to protect myself against drive failure, which CTM apparently won’t do.

If I have a drive with a system partition and a data partition, protect only the system partition, and I put TrueCrypt in traveller mode on the data partiton and keep my TrueCrypt file container on data partition as well, will that cause a problem? TrueCrypt would not be touching the system partition in any way.

Also, if I use a product like Macrium reflect to make a backup image of the system partition to another drive or to DVE, and only restore from that backup image if the system partition gets totally hosed, and if I then immediately uninstall CTM from the restored image, and then reinstall CTM to create a new baseline, what kind of grief might I expect? I know that making a backup using a Linux or BartPE would be better, but I also know that I’m much less likely to to that.

I’m not ignoring you answers to my previous question, just trying to see if there is some way I can work around those limitations.

Sorry for the bump.

What defrag programs are compatible with CTM?