Configuration WIZARD [M681]

Hi,

1. What actually happened or you saw:
Nothing

2. What you wanted to happen or see:
Nothing

3. Why you think it is desirable:
A Configuration Wizard after the Install which can also be executed manually…

4. Any other information:
The CIS default settings are useless (especially the Firewall settings), most tests that CIS fails are due to default settings. Make a configuration Wizard after Install (or even during install) so that also a “newbie” can configure CIS properly without going to the settings menu. A good explained configuration Wizard would solve the problems(no way to skip it and if he “clicks it through” stuck him on “paranoid settings”)

EDIT:

What I would like to add to my suggestion, the Wizard should have a option on the first page to import your “previous” settings for those of us which have they “prefered” settings and exported them.

It would maybe also be a good idea to have “two buttons” on the first page of the Wizard “New User” and “Returning user”(or something like that).

The “New User” Button runs the Wizard which is made simple and everything is explaind.
The “Returning User” Button gives you the option to Import settings and gives you all the Options in one Interface so you can set everything up really fast, as you know what you are doing, you clicked the “Returning User” Button…

While generally a good idea I would personally say that it’d need to have an “Express” option which sets up the current default (or similar)

The people skipping the wizard would probably be those who either intend to set it up manually themselves after the fact or those that just wants to get it installed without having to do anything themselves, for the former setting it to “paranoid” wouldn’t do much since they’d set it to such themselves and for the latter it would create so many alerts for someone who is otherwise new to Comodo that they would just uninstall it.

So as this wish specifically suggests no way to skip it and just clicking through would be paranoid, I can’t vote yes for it. (although there’s no poll right now anyway so can’t really vote)

Hi,

I woudl say I agree with you but the problem is some of the “newbies” just click through the Wizard and then have the default settings and they are just not enough. You would have to stuck them with something more secure, genereting more “Dialog boxes” which would force them to run the Wizard again and configure it proparly.
In my opinion it is better to explain to someone he have to use the Wizard then to fail at Tests because the default settings are to “simple”.

What I would like to add to my suggestion, the Wizard should have a option on the first page to import your “previous” settings for those of us which have they “prefered” settings and exported them.

It would maybe also be a good idea to have “two buttons” on the first page of the Wizard “New User” and “Returning user”(or something like that).

The “New User” Button runs the Wizard which is made simple and everything is explaind.
The “Returning User” Button gives you the option to Import settings and gives you all the Options in one Interface so you can set everything up really fast, as you know what you are doing, you clicked the “Returning User” Button…

Just my two cents…

Thanks

LordRayden

The problem here however is that a new user is probably more likely to uninstall rather than running the wizard again, which is why I still think an Express setting is required, however I can agree that the defaults need to be improved somewhat however that would be a wish in and of itself.

I like your addition of “new user” and “returning user” with the ability to directly import a config, that’s one thing I’m annoyed with whenever I set up CFW, that I have to then go into the settings and import then activate my config, would be easier to just import it during install / wizard. :-TU

The new additions should be added to the first post to reflect the current state of the wish. :wink:

In the tracker moving to Verified.