confessions of an old amiga user.

hi,i just wonder if any fellow forum users were previously owners and users of the commodore amiga computer.? i would like to confess to actually still owning this wonderful computer from the 80s and 90s.i myself sometimes like to take a trip down memory lane and use the amiga several times…I know the amiga may be sadly buried now but i would like to take this opportunity to celebrate this computer that brought so much pleasure and delight to mine and im in no doubt to millions of other users…i would like to see comments from other forum members on this superb old computer…and on a sad note i would like to say a very big thank you to the late great jay miner for bringing the amiga into the world…R.I.P jay and may god bless you. (:CLP)

I used the Commodore 64, not the Amiga.

My parents bought a Commodore 64 for me, my brother, and my sister when I was pretty young, but I bought an Amiga 500 for myself when I was in high school. Saved up the money from my summer job to pay for it. It got me through college and many years after. I didn’t get my first IBM until I was about 26 or 27 I think.

It was a good one, wasn’t it?

The OS was delightful.
The hardware was YEARS ahead of its time.
The applications for it (considering when they were released) were remarkable.

Shortsightedness more than anything else killed it. If they had made the Sidecar (PC compatible add-on) a standard part of the hardware base, they would have had nothing to fear from the emergence of the PC.

Q. How do you get Jack Tramiel set up in a nice little business?
A. Give him a big business and he’ll take it from there. :wink: :smiley:

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

P.S. Still got an Amiga 500 and a C-64. They still see use every now and again, if only for sentimental reasons.

I still have my Atari 800 computer (released around the same time as the Commodore 64).
I use it every now and then.
Honestly, when I have to do a simulation with a lot of number crunching, it is often easier to create a little assembly language program on the old Atari than it is to learn how to do it on these newfangled computers.

I used the Amiga during a research project, it was a great system. I never programmed on it, but it was advanced for its time.

There are simulators that allow you to run a virtual version of some old computers on your windows system. I found an Atari simulator with a huge compilation of games. Maybe there is an Amiga simulator?

hi.its good to see that people still own the amiga.even if the technology may seem prehistoric these days.i would certainly like to know about any virtual amiga simulators out there that would be great. :BNC

it certainly was a brekthrough computer.the workbench operating system with icons and mouse were a total revelation to me personally.i had owned a 8-bit computer beforehand and the amiga was a breath of fresh air.i still have thousands of software for it. (:WAV)

There are - UAE is the best by a country mile.

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/amiga/winuae.html

Only hiccup is you have to “find” a set of kickstart roms and the disk images for workbench.

Ewen :slight_smile:

I still have a few Amiga parts. What a wonderfully thought out machina!