Complete Program Exclusion in any AV

How to completely exclude any program in any AV? i.e apps files, processes & everything excluded in any AV?

If the folder of the app in program files is excluded in any AV, does this mean the app is completely excluded & absolutely nothing of the app will be scanned? Exclude here I mean both On-Demand & RealTime scanners exclusion.

This is a bit of an unanswerable question, because every AV is a bit different in how they operate.

If you have questions about a particular AV, there may be users here that may be able to answer specifics pertaining to that product, but there is no blanket statement to answer how to exclude files from any AV.

I use 2 AV’s, Comodo & Avast, what about these?

I don’t use Avast, but with CAV, you can go to Antivirus → Scanner Settings → Exclusions.

If you add a folder here, it will automatically wildcard it, so any files/folders contained within will be excluded from scanning from the real time and on-demand scanning engines.

I do not use CAV (& I’m not going to ever), but compare to your correct answers above this one is rather confusing respond

… because …

even if any executables “contained within” are excluded that does not mean that all processes started are excluded - and that was the main question by naren

In the past there were many similar question asked (for many reasons)

The best answer I’ve got (~2 years ago) was from Avira developers (if you want me to find the thread I will).

So … at that time they claimed that only about 20 processes started by any “excluded file/folder” will not be monitored … fair enough … but you have to keep in mind that it does not mean all possible ones despite theoretically & practically :wink: all tree can be handled … but who cares hehehe!
and finally knowing CAV a bit - there is no no way! or is it ??? :o please enlighten me - I’ll switch from EAM in that case ;D

Cheers!

I’m really not sure why my response would be confusing, but your reply has definitely confused me.

I have not heard anything about there being a process cap (limited number of processes that will be monitored) on the processes spawned from within excluded folders. If this is what you’re asking, I have no idea if there is such a limit in CAV.

If you’re referring to and excluded application spawning child processes external to the excluded folder, then yes, these processes I would expect to be subject to scanning by their own rules.

Am I even in the ballpark in regards to your response/question? ???

OK.

So,

Comodo AV - Under exclusion, folder of any apps in C - Program Files excludes it totally i.e files, active processes, etc, right?

Similarly for Avast AV but Avast has seperate settings for RealTime & OnDemand exclusion, right?

Hi HeffeD,
My apology if the word “confusing” sounded too strong, at least you do understand that there were no intention to be hostile. Probably “not very clear” would be more appropriate ;),
but anyway the rest of your response definitely shows that we are on the same page, since you’ve got what I meant.

Precisely!.. & that’s what has 2 b answered by the vendor, otherwise it is confusing (oh boy! - same ugly term again ;D )

Therefore, let’s return to the initial question:
https://forums.comodo.com/general-discussion-off-topic-anything-and-everything/complete-program-exclusion-in-any-av-t83729.0.html;msg597892#msg597892

That was my point, naren – the App may not be necessarily completely self-contained within excluded folder(s) re: processes being created. That is why if the security cannot (or doesn’t want for some reason) find a Parent process (could be quite a chain… see 20 in Avast mentioned - that did not mean processes fired up from within excluded folder) monitoring of child processes will be in place – and actually it can badly break whole App eventually despite the main one & some “within the folder” were excluded.
As an example that is main/major concern of gamers & one of the points to create Game Mode (none of I know currently works perfectly yet)
, but sure - games are just a small part of this world

What do you want to achieve in the 1st place?
&
as you can see (I hope) from both replies (by me & by HeffeD), as far as I can understand investigating the issue in the past - the answer currently is - no
unless you are concerned about excluding just a whole folder (i hope you’ve got the difference)

Cheers!