Comodo's Update function

Hi all!

As a measure against malware and exploits I have disabled Internet Explorer according to the following scheme:

1. Click on the Tools menu option in Internet Explorer, followed by the Internet Options... option. 2. Choose the Connections tab from the Internet Options window. 3. Click on the "LAN Settings" button. The Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window will appear. 4. In the Proxy server section, check the box next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN" (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections). 5. In the Address: text box, enter 0.0.0.0. 6. In the Port: text box, enter 80. 7. Click OK and then click OK again in the Internet Options window. 8. Close all Internet Explorer windows. 9. If you wish to undo these changes in the future, simply follow the steps listed above again, only this time uncheck the box next to Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections) in step 4.
Everything is fine: IE can no longer go on line, and can no longer be abused by Trojans and stuff.

BUT… The Comodo Update function seems to work on IE’s properties, which means that it is not working now. I find that very disappointing for a firewall that is said to be the best in the world. Did I miss something or can Comodo’s update functions be tweaked through the registry? I was not able to find any settings in the program interface itself.

PlW

Hello,

I’m sorry you feel that way however at the moment that is the only way the update function works, Comodo may change it in version 3 when it is released however I cannot confirm that at this time. Myself along with many others would like to see the update feature changed this way in the next version but at this time we don’t know if it will happen yet.

Justin

I’d like to see this changed too. I’d like control over as much of the update process as possible, including connection settings and frequency of the automatic updates.

I’d also like the automatic updates (which seem to run about twice an hour, at the moment) to not steal focus from Media Player Classic when it’s fullscreened, although I don’t know if that’s a Comodo issue or a MPC one…

I found this to be annoying too, and I’m pretty sure it’s a Comodo issue, as MPC is just doing what it was instructed to do (close fullscreen when another application steals focus). I’d like it if Comodo updater didn’t do that.