Comodo won't shut down

I totally agree … why don’t they fix the conflict … perhaps it’s because it’s the free version? ??? :o 88)

Edit by EricJH: no need to shout; we hear you

Well, it sure doesn’t make me want to run out and look at their other products.

I totally agree … comodo is really screwing up … right now the private network detection box won’t close >:( I tried to get the task manager to close it and it still won’t close 88) I’m going to have to reboot the machine and see if it clears up … but if this keeps up comodo will have to go :-TD and I will go with zone alarm … :-*

Edit by EricJH: no need to shout; we hear you

Please start your own topic for your problem with the private network detection box. That way this topic will not diverge and your problem will get the deserved attention.

Hiya all,
i have 3 PC’s running XP pro with AVG2011 and Comodo, all had the intermittant problem of not closing.
i tried all the fixes list here and nothing worked, so ive gone back to the previous version of Comodo with auto update turned off and everything is working fine.

I cant afford to crash a PC cause it wouldnt shut down so until this new version is fixed im happy sitting on the old version :smiley:

When you ever feel like trying try uninstalling AVG 2011 and installing CIS v5 again (don’t forget to export your active v4 configuration before trying of course) and see what happens.

The reason for asking is that there seem to be compatibility issues between AVG 2011 and CIS v5 and I am wondering to what extend they are.

I can add that this works for me every time. (I run Windows XP SP3 with AVG 2011 and Comodo 5.0.)
I just have a little more to add to that (scroll down to the paragraph below the next one if you don’t want to read my little story):

Basically, when I first noticed Comodo not working correctly (which is about ever since I installed it), I searched for a way to terminate cfp.exe (because at that time, that’s what I assumed was freezing up). I ended up finding this thread, which tells how to get Comodo to allow Task Manager to terminate it. (It turns out that it’s cmdagent.exe, not cfp.exe, that needs to be terminated.)

But anyways, this is what I found works for me every time Comodo stops responding:

1. Open up Task Manager and terminate cmdagent.exe (assuming Task Manager is allowed to do so–that would mean that you have to set the permissions for it before Comodo stops functioning correctly). (after terminating cmdagent.exe, hopefully Comodo appears to spring to life again.)
  2. Now we need to restart cmdagent.exe, otherwise you won’t be fully protected (even though Comodo still shows alerts when cmdagent is terminated?). Manually opening cmdagent.exe isn’t going to work; it’ll just close again after a few seconds. So: Go to Start->Run->type “services.msc” (or go to the control panel and click on “Services” in Administrative Tools (which should be under “Performance and Maintenance” if you’re in Category View)).
  3. When you have the services window open, find the “COMODO Internet Security Helper Service”, right-click it, and click “Start”. That will get cmdagent.exe started up again, and everything should be working now.

Unfortunately, you’ll still have to make sure Comodo isn’t unresponsive before every time you shut down your computer. Otherwise, you’ll might still get the shutdown issue described in this thread (hurry up Comodo, we need you to fix this issue!). If you don’t want to have to bother with all of this, you’ll probably just have to go back to an older version of Comodo or use a different antivirus…

Hope this helps!

Hello I have the same problem of losing Comodo UI and Comodo not responding on shut down. Using AVG2011 Paid ver. with it.

I’ve been in another thread where I have posted some screenshots of what I have observed.

https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help-cis/comodo-firewall-running-but-not-opening-t64848.0.html;msg466709#msg466709

One thing I have seen, upon startup, if AVG loads first, then Comodo, as seen in the task bar icons, Comodo UI works fine, no problems, UI opens, and Comodo shuts down fine no hangs. BUT if AVG loads first, then Comodo, I lose the Comodo UI and Comodo hangs at shutdown, not responding. Seems to me the order which they load has something to do with it.

Being as I have “AVG2011 paid” version, I get their email “tech support”. Back and forth with them for a week now. Now they say they are not responsible for other vendor’s programs and offer no further assistance. AVG of course says there are no other reports of this issue! They are not looking very hard.

And did you try Startup Delayer?

No, not yet. I strongly feel whichever program, either AVG or Comodo is causing this, should be fixed rather than relying on a patch. I WILL try it though if there is no real fix soon.

Seems AVG and Comodo are pointing to each other as the culprit. But when I read others in this thread having UI and shutdown problems with Avast, and Avira, and even the Comodo suite, perhaps it is with Comodo.

But if you were able to get consistent results, that would be a good troubleshooting aid…

Hopefully by mentioning that possible fix in this thread, others may try it before I get a chance to, since obviously I am not the only one. My computer is used in my daily home business and I have a lot to do before I have time to experiment with it again.

Please anyone else having this issue give the delay program a go and report the results.

Another thing to try is to let Internet Security Helper Service restart its self after it crashed. You can do that in the properties dialogue of the service under Services. See attached image.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I freed up one of the PC’s , removed AVG and then installed CISv5 and rebooted several times without any problems, and now i can click on the icon in the tray and it does something :|. So there is a conflict issue with Comodo and, by the sounds of it, several other applications including AVG.

Hello,

I have found a temporary fix for the CIS firewall

• Icon in the taskbar not reacting
  • Cfp.exe not closing

The fix which works for me:

1. Reinstall CIS (reboot when asked)
  2. Update CIS firewall
  3. Use a tool to remove Cfp.exe from the start up & Reboot (HijackThis for example)
  4. After the reboot try to manually launch the COMODO Firewall shourtcut on your desktop (but only after when all of your apps have loaded up in the taskbar)
  5. Optionally you can try to use StartUp Delayer !! make sure, that cfp.exe starts after all of your applications are loaded in the task bar
  • Do not kill off cmdagent.exe (CIS Helper)

I’m a enthusiastic user of SpyBot, AVG with past experience & now also COMODO Firewall.

For the additional information:
Its still possible to run cfp.exe even if it freezes by

1. right clicking on the shortcut
  2. run as
  3. Current user & protect my computer

The 2nd window opens but the firewalls 2nd window doesn’t function properly, (neither does the first)
its changes being made do hoverer effect the 1st cfp.exe which is not responding.

I think that’s right. There are reports of issues with AVG but also reports of same problem with Avast, Avira and even the Comodo AV.

Hopefully there will be a permanant fix for this.

The following is likely just a coincidence but since I turned off the AVG Tool Bar, I have not had any loss of control of Comodo Firewall. Original reason I turned off AVG Tool Bar, I noticed text being automatically copied into the AVG-Google search box when I would drag the mouse pointer across text to highlight it. Seems like a handy feature if you are searching those words. But after a while doing things like highlighting, cutting, copying, pasting within forums etc. tasks would get slower and slower. Turned off the AVG Tool Bar and that gradual slowdown to a crawl seems to to be fixed.

Restarting service cmdagent.exe helps me also, when the icon menu doesn’t show up etc,…

Ive compiled a batch file for myself, might help you to.

1. Copy&Paste the code to
2. CISrestart.txt rename to
3. CISrestart.bat or .cmd

Code:

@echo off
echo ........Restarting COMODOs Firewall and cmdagent.exe........
taskkill /F /IM cmdagent.exe
echo ........cmdagent.exe stoped........
echo ........cmdagent.exe starting........
echo ........4 seconds remaning........
ping 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 4000>nul
sc start cmdAgent
echo ........cmdagent.exe started........
ping 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 1000>nul
echo ................................
echo .........................................
sc start cmdAgent
echo ........Succes (If above says that its already running)........
pause

Hiya all,
I have an interesting situation, as i have said i had the “shutdown” etc problems, i removed AVG, installed CISv5 and all was fine. Then i decided to reinstall the latest version of free AVG and its all working fine O.O

Ive been testing it for a few days and no problems at all.

seek.

I’m also having this problem (Comodo Firewall, XP, AVG). Just tried updating to AVG 2011 and it wouldn’t let me due to a conflict with Comodo.

As far as I’m concerned, Comodo or AVG need to sort this problem out else I will ditch Comodo and try another free firewall. The crashing on shut down is a priority as my computer doesn’t shut down once the program is ended and requires a ‘hard’ shutdown with the power button to shut down once the crash occurs.

I don’t know if this’ll work for everyone, but for me, after adding Comodo’s folder (as well as cfp.exe and cmdagent.exe, just to be safe) to AVG’s Resident Shield’s “Excluded items” list, everything appears to work fine now. (I haven’t had a problem with an unresponsive Comodo for days now ever since I did that, and I use my computer a LOT.)

It’s something worth trying (if you haven’t already done so, that is)…