COMODO Time Machine Wishlist

I have found Comodo Time Machine one of the finest free tools to secure my PC. (for this quality, I would easily pay something, no doubt).

One thing is still missing or I just can’t find it:

Time Machine should have ability to put snapshots to network drive and somewhere in the future, over some secure connection (FTP over SSH etc) to another machine on the internet.

That feature would make this even more useful. I hope this kind of features are somewhere in the roadmap of this excellent software.

Program should be bootable from DVD/CD in case of MBR modification and should be able to restore the MBR code of CTM and also be able to restore the baseline+ snapshots present in hard disk.

Hi Dch48,

Let’s leave alone the Defragmentation “issue”.
That was discussed several times in the forum & probably there is a problem when one is using real-time defrag(s), which I prefer not to use
I am not running that often, and I’m using the off-line defrag only, when nothing else is alive … but that’s is just me…forget about it it.

… but Chkdsk ??? Can you be more specific?

What is the actual problem. I mean, why and how you may demand flawless work of that Tool in conjunction with any other background processes and especially regarding CTM.
I hope that you are not going to make system snapshots and/or “going “back in time” when using Chkdsk … seriously …

The said utility must be run exclusively after rebooting into the Admin account or running as member of the Administrators group… basically - no background processes are allowed.
That is written in any documentation regarding the utility.

Disconnect. Shut down all existing backgrounds – security in particular – Reboot as Admin and run
otherwise you will have a nightmare of a constant reminders to reboot in order to continue due to files being locked / other processes running and interfering etc. The result of such work is unpredictable and you will not be able to fix disk problems if required for sure

That was very surprising request in conjunction with CTM … unless I am really missing something

My regards

I have never heard of or read anything about having to disconnect and shut things down in order to run Chkdsk. I always run as an administrator anyway. Alll I do is tell it to automatically fix errors and it asks if I want to schedule the check to be done at the next restart. I say yes and reboot.

I read several posts saying that running chkdsk in the way you normally would (setting it to automatically fix errors and then rebooting so it can run before Windows loads) will corrupt the CTM snapshots and make them unusable. It was also stated that other more serious issues could arise from chkdsk fixing “problems” while CTM is installed. Problems that might make a reinstall of the OS necessary. That and the problems with using Defrag tools are enough to make me stay far away from CTM.

Thanks for reply Dch48 ,

As I pointed the defrag problem was discussed and probably needs special attention for those who is using real-time defragging.

But basically “nothing” has to be active in order to run Chkdsk properly.
The disconnecting was mentioned just because it is advisable to shut down spare background processes, so the security amongst them. Disconnecting prior to that is just a safety measure

What you mentioned about CTM just confirming that it is better to disable its activity during the execution of Chkdsk irrespectively including the fact that even in the situation when Chkdsk running comfortably alone users may be prompted for rebooting few times anyway

I am not going to use CTM at all too. Having disk imaging Software and my data backed up I don’t see any reason for having CTM.
So, my comments were mainly about the conditions for running Chkdsk.

Cheers!

Is it possible to skin the CTM UI? It would be nice if there was a choice of colors. Thanks!

+1 Support for Linux
+1 Support for TrueCrypt
+1 Support for external defragmenters

Is there a way to protect another partition that wasn’t checked during installation of CTM?

A right-click context menu consisting of the 3 main options to the system tray icon would be a big time saver :slight_smile:

1. Restore System
  2. Take Snapshot
  3. Advanced

This is pretty much the norm with most of the system tray icons.

To make Comodo Time Machine the ultimate backup system it should have the option to make snapshots onto a CD/DVD drive or an external hard drive.
In the event your hard drive crashes you would install windows on a new drive, then install Comodo Time Machine and then retrieve the snapshot from the CD/DVD drive or external hard drive and be back to the same configuration of your operating system that you had before the hard drive crash.

Hi DoctorJellybean.
Thanks for your suggestion.
We will consider to implement this in future versions.

Thanks,
Doskey.

YES
YES
YES

External hard drive storage of snapshots is, IMHO, a must. Mind you, we would still be up that well know creek without a means of propulsion if the external drive died. :wink:

Ewen :slight_smile:

Hi, simakuutio

We will consider to implement this feature in future versions.

Best regards.

Waiting to Support for COMODO Disk Encryption.

I’ve just installed COMODO Disk Encryption over CTM 2.4 without any WARNING!! :frowning:
After restart… all my snapshots were corrupted & when I checked my current Snapshots ,windows went to 3 weeks ago. :-[
I had to reinstall Windows 7 x86 and reinstall CTM. but without CDE!
Is it possible that CTM & CDE can work together at next Releases? :slight_smile:
Thank You!

Since version 157(the newest version), It became mandatory to input the password when creating user account in CTM. (As you can see the pic above)

I think it’s a side effect of fixing the privilege problem.
but i want to make a Guest account. it’s secure and convenient to other people who uses my PC.
Could you guys please recover us this feature?
anyway ctm is the best sandbox software ever ;D ;D

!ot! virtualization program ranking

1. COMODO TIME MACHINE ;D ;D ;D
  2. Windows Steadystate (not only it can keep the sandboxed data after reboot, but it automatically recovers system when a computer brakes down with bluescreen etc.)
  3. Norton Ghost, shadow defender, deepfreeze, etc…

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi, dax123

We will consider to implement this in future versions.

Best regards.

A FAQ about what not to do when CTM is installed.

From reading the forums I understand that using external defragmenting and encrypting programs is a bad idea. Is Winsows’ native encryption system (EFS - Encrypting File System) supported or should I decrypt all folders before installing CTM? What other actions can damage MBR (Master Boot Record) or snapshots when CTM is installed? Does anyone use it on production machine? I’m not fond of the whole system backup applications, so I don’t do that but I wouldn’t like to lose all my data, especially when normally I format my PC like once in a few years.

Would like to see this myself. I would prefer the option of no skin an allow it to more match Win 7 msstyle

Ditto. I’d like it to be done.