COMODO System Cleaner 2.0.111095.7 Public Release BUG REPORTS

I’m not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but here it goes…

• Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit); Windows XP SP2 32Bit
  • Security Software Installed; CSC - McAfee Enterprise 8.5.0i
  • How you produced the problem; Runing CSC on Virutal Desktop (Sysinternal’s Desktops)
  • How you tried to resolve the problem; n/a
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any); Attached
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any; n/a
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled; n/a
  • Any other Additional Information; n/a

I’m using SysInternal’s Desktops application (Desktops - Sysinternals | Microsoft Learn) and If I try to open CSC on a “virtual desktop” the error message attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi,

We ran some tests and found out that launching CSC from one of the desktops from Sysinternals encounters a crash. The “issue” here is that the crash we encountered doesn’t seem to be like the one in your screenshot. It is possible that the source of the defect is the same. That being said, we will run some analyses on this matter and we will get back to you.

Thank you for your report.

- Your Operating System: Windows Vista X64
- Security Software Installed: CSC - CIS
- How you produced the problem:

1. I had a working vista x64 system with Eset Nod32 4
  2. Downloaded CSC yesterday from the comodo website. After installing it I checked for updates and it updated itself to the latest version.
  3. Uninstalled Nod32.
  4. Installed CIS.
  5. Rebooted everything as required. System was back on fine.
  6. After the reboot, I worked on the desktop for maybe 5 minutes when the system froze. Checking my CPU/RAM sidebar applet I saw that the 4GB ram was used up to 100%.
  7. reboot again.
  8. Same problem of memory leak again. This time I see the RAM go up quickly; task manager is showing “services.exe” using 2Gb and then 3Gb RAM until it freezes again.
  9. → I can’t use the system anymore as this happens everytime after about 5 minutes after I start the PC.

- How you tried to resolve the problem:

Fortunately I found this forum (otherwise I would have removed all of Comodo from my PC altogether).

And as suggested by some people here I uninstalled System Cleaner (CSC) and now the problem is gone.

Please fix this CSC bug, I will certainly install it again when it works.

Thanks.

PS: I had CSC version 1 installed and working before without any problems on the same PC. This problem only happened with CSC 2, as I said above. (I uninstalled CSC 1 before installing CSC 2).

PS 2: The services.exe memory leak happened even without CSC running… But strangely, uninstalling CSC fixed the problem.

• Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit);
  • Security Software Installed;
  • How you produced the problem;
  • How you tried to resolve the problem;
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any);
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any;
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled;
  • Any other Additional Information;

Security Software Installed: ESET NOD32, Sandboxie; On-Demand: Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware & SUPERAntiSpyware

CSC crashed during a registry scan. I had just uninstalled 7-Zip, and wanted to clean my computer of it’s traces, so I ran a scan with CSC. I selected ‘HKEY_CURRENT_USER’ and ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE’ as the registry paths, and inserted ‘7-Zip’ and ‘Sourceforge’ as the keywords for both the paths.

When the scan reaches the ‘software’ section, for which it finds about 2000 entries, I get a pop-up from Windows 7 saying that CSC has stopped responding, and the OS shuts it down. The next three scans had the same problem - CSC finds 2000-odd ‘software’ entries and hangs.

Only when I discarded ‘software’ from the scan did it complete without a problem.

Hello,

Thank you for your report. As you can see this problem is well known and has been in our attention this whole time. It will be fixed for the next release.

Thank you for your support.

Hi,

Indeed CSC crashes when scanning with filters. The development team will fix this issue within the next release.

2 months ago my System Cleaner stopped working. It terminates unexpectedly with an error. I have tried to install the latest version from the forum (CSC_SETUP_2.0.111095.7_xp_vista_server2003_win7) as instructed per this thread, but the problem remains. The OS is Vista Ultimate SP2. The security software is COMODO Internet Security ver. 3.12.111745.560. I have tried to remove then reinstall and to repair multiple times with no luck.

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 10/19/2009 8:52:07 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Fearsome
Description:
Faulting application CSC.exe, version 2.0.9999.7, time stamp 0x4ab239c7, faulting module CSC.exe, version 2.0.9999.7, time stamp 0x4ab239c7, exception code 0x40000015, fault offset 0x000cc873, process id 0xbdc, application start time 0x01ca5127ea03cf72.
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
Fearsome

CSC.exe
4ab239c7
CSC.exe
4ab239c7
000cc873
bdc
01ca5127ea03cf72

Hello,

In order to fix this issue we need to know more details about it. Please provide us with a scenario in which the error appeared (scanning/cleaning/just launching CSC/etc). And also tell us if you have uninstalled the old version before clean installing version .7.

The program updates progress indicator is rendered off-screen in WinXP classic display and you have to move the box back on screen to see the progress.

A picture paints a thousand words as they say:

[attachment deleted by admin]

XP Home with SP3 32 bit - Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit);
CIS 3.11.108364.552, Proactive, Virus signature 2717 - Security Software Installed;
Launched System Cleaner and performed SCAN ( error before chance to CLEAN) - How you produced the problem;

CCleaner found only 3 registry errors, they were all Unused File extensions.
I let those errors remain and I closed CCleaner.

System Cleaner did very much better - it found those same 3 errors plus another 37 registry errors

System Cleaner did very much worse.

After counting those 40 errors it gave a pop-up
“An error occured during the registry scan process”
It was still at stage 2. I clicked OK and it moved onto stage 3,
without spending more than 2 seconds ignoring all the COM ActiveX and everything that followed.
I cancelled instead of cleaning.
The above was repeatable.

I cancelled detection of File extensions and those 40 errors were not detected and the error pop-up never appeared,
Instead it continued the scan and found 150 COM ActiveX errors.
This shows that a scan malfunction during File Extensions will prevent detection in subsequent categories.

I rechecked File extensions and again had 40 off file extension errors and nothing else.

I then proceeded to CLEAN and it looked like it did - but really it failed.
I scanned again and those errors were not detected, but the error pop-up aborted the scan as it moved onto the COM ActiveX errors.
Only by again unchecking the File Extensions could I Scan and have the opportunity to see and remove 150 off COM ActiveX errors

I closed System Cleaner and launched CCleaner, and the 3 File Extensions were still detected, even though System Cleaner had deleted them and could no longer see them.
After a reboot then CCleaner could no longer see them.

I think this is an anomaly due to CCleaner processing HKCU, e.g.
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts.idx
Whilst System Cleaner processes HKLM, e.g.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes.wpg]

I am not too troubled by anomalies/discrepancies between the results of different registry cleaners,
BUT am very concerned that System Cleaner can abort scanning without saying the scan is aborted,
and if all file extension errors have previously been resolved then when it scans and finds zero such errors,
it aborts scan and after cancelling the error pop-up System Cleaner announces
“Your registry appears to be clean as no errors were found”,
even though there are another 150 off if only it continued to scan.

I had very similar issues with both the Installed version installed on my Flash drive, and also with the Portable version on my Flash Drive.
The only difference I noticed was that with the installed version, when File extensions were unchecked and the the scan continued, I could STOP and it would freeze until I allowed it to proceed, so by waiting until it was scanning the final “Software” group I could see and write onto paper the actual quantities of errors in each group before I allowed it to proceed.
With the Portable version as soon as I clicked STOP the scan aborted and it proceeded on to the end.

Regards
Alan

Comodo System Cleaner and AltDrag doesn’t work together.
When clicking in the center of the CSC window and trying to move it around with pressed Alt-key, only the “inner” windows moves.
Here is a video so its better understandable.
It happens on WinXP and Win7.