Comodo standalone firewall help [RESOLVED]

Hello,
Comodo has a free standalone firewall,right? Where can I get support for it?
And also please link me to any tutorials of the comodo standalone firewall if present.
Thank you.

Welcome.

Unfotunataly, Comodo no longer make a ‘pure’ stand-alone firewall. The nearest you can get is to download this, which will install both the firewall and Defence+. Whilst the latter can be disabled, it’s still plays a part in the product.

For support, you can use Geekbudy, which can be installed alongside the firewall, or you can ask for help in these forums. With regard to tutorials, your best bet is to take a look through the Introduction To Comodo Internet Security and these Guides

Hi Radaghast,
Yeah thats what I wanted to ask about(COMODO FIREWALL + DEFENSE plus). Where can I get a manual for it?
Please let me know.
Thank you.

Here you go Comodo Manuals

How to Install Comodo Firewall

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks.

Hi ,
Thank you for the replies everyone.
Ok I have some doubts now.

Generally most firewalls ask me to allow or block programs.
Now what I want to ask is if it asks me to allow or block programs then what is the need to configure rules again manually(as specified here: https://forums.comodo.com/frequently-asked-questions-faq-for-comodo-firewall/how-to-understanding-creating-network-control-rules-properly-t1125.0.html) ?
Anyone please clarify.

And I have heard that comodo firewall causes problems if not installed in the right way. I mean you need to uncheck something like use the comodo server option etc. Can anyone please tell me what other options I shall uncheck(during installation of CPF) in order to make the comodo firewall and my PC function properly.

Thank you.

I believe this is only if you want to make custom settings. The settings I recommend in my article should work for most users. Trusted programs will be allowed, for the most part, and unknown programs will ask you to allow or block them.

For more information on this please read through my article. I posted a link to it above.

Hi Chiron,
Thanks for that article!!!
But I got some more doubts now.

Actually how shall I know whether I am in a network or not? I have broadband connection.

And secondly will comodo firewall recognise my internet connection or shall I configure it in my firewall manually?

And is defense+ a HIPS? If so what does being sandboxed mean(generally sandboxed means preventing access to other files on the system,does that mean the same here)? I have heard that a HIPS generally blocks unauthorised programs access to files on the system. Is the built-in sandbox meant for this purpose?

And also please define ipv6 filtering.

Thanks for spending your precious time in helping me.

Are you using a router? If so then you’re part of a network.

It should do it automatically. The only question you will be asked is, if you’re in a network, what level of trust you want to give.

Yes.

Comodo’s Sandbox is like an automatic HIPS. Without asking you it automatically prevents certain types of access depending on the level you set it to.

It’s just filtering for the IVP6 protocol. It automatically filters for IVP4. For more information please read this page.

Hi Chiron,
Thank you for your reply.
But I still cant understand one thing. Actually I have an adsl+2 router and I only have one computer in my house. So now please tell me if I am in a network or not?

Every internet user has a modem/router,does that mean every internet user is in a network?

Thank you.

In information technology, a network is a series of points or nodes interconnected by communication paths. Networks can interconnect with other networks.

So yes you are on a network. Your computer and the router should be connected via ethernet or USB or wifi other comms path and would be your local network. Your router is the device that interconnects with the internet.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
Can you please give me one example where I have an internet connection but I’m not in a network?
Thank you in advance.

Your adsl2+router is actually a computer.

Think of it as having two network interfaces. One interface is facing “inwards” and your computer connects to this interface. The routers second network interface is “outwards” facing, towards the internet. When your computers sends the command “www.google.com”, it is received on the routers inwards facing interface, it then fiddles and fudges the IP address and sends it out on the outwards facing interface. When a response is received, the sequence is reversed.

Every internet user has a modem/router,does that mean every internet user is in a network?

Exactly!. When Blugroz, in an earlier post, said

In information technology, a network is a series of points or nodes interconnected by communication paths.
the "points" or "nodes" he refers to can be devices other than computers - routers, modems, phones, storage arrays, tape units, printers etc.

On these boards, there’s a simple LAN terminology bit written a few years back that may be of interest to you.

https://forums.comodo.com/frequently-asked-questions-faq-for-comodo-firewall/internet-and-networking-terminology-for-beginners-t1126.0.html;msg7211#msg7211

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

Can you please give me one example where I have an internet connection but I'm not in a network?
But this question still remains unanswered.

1)According to panic and blugroz every internet user is in a network.
2)But Chiron said that I am in a network if i am using a router.(This statement means that If I have an internet connection without a router then I am not in a network.)
The above 2 statements conflict. So anyone please try to clarify.

Thank you.

You can see the router as the main place where people gather, like in a coffee.

Lets says you’re in a big big company that has a huge network. you compare to a huge caffe where many people are that can you see

In your house a router is what allows two or more computers to connect to the internet. Without it only one computer would be able to connect. Thus we call these computers part of a network. This is a network similar to the one you’re in.

If instead your computer was connected directly to the modem, without a router, then you would not be part of a network. You would be the only computer using the internet connection in your house.

Essentially the important thing is that normally if two computers are sharing the same internet connection then you may want to share information between them, or share printers, etc… Therefore you may want to lower your security.

That’s what the other settings are for in CIS.

I hope that helps.

The internet is a network, of connected networks.

If you can get to the internet then you’re part of a network.

Technically, if a PC is connected to the internet through a modem, the PC is part of the ISP’s network (can be verified by checking the IP address before and after connecting to the internet).

If you connect via a router, then you are connected to a network that consists of your PC and the router. The router is connected to the ISPs network and the ISPs network is connected to the internet.

If you connect via a modem, then you are connected to the ISPs network and the ISPs network is connected to the internet.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Ok Thanks,
I think this topic can be closed as the problem is now resolved.