Comodo "smart" pop-ups

Does anyone know how to turn off the Comodo “smart” pop-ups that the program displays? These display appear whenever I click on links in certain sites.
Also, the Comodo program seems to be causing problems when I am playing games on www.pogo.com. I will be playing any of the games and it will give me an ‘unable to connect’ message in the middle of the game. This happens on any of the games there, but does not occur on any other site that I visit. I have listed pogo as a trusted site, but still get that message. I can reload that site and am able to play the game again, but I just keep waiting for the ‘unable to connect’ message to happen again…and it does.
Thanks

Welcome to the forums, Waltman118 (:WAV)

Sure you can turn off the Firewall alerts, but then you won’t be notified of potential problems… This can be done in Security/Advanced/Miscellaneous/Enable Alerts.

As to the the ‘unable to connect’ message while online, there should be an entry (or entries) in Activity/Logs corresponding to the time of the disconnect, which would show the culprit (provided it is something the FW is doing).

A couple questions on that - do you lose your internet connection (can you go to another site from there, or are you blocked)? Are the games entirely online, or is there some executable/application that runs from your computer and connects?

LM

PS: I have moved this topic to the Firewall Help boards.

Hiya Little Mac, thank you for the warm welcome to the forums.
I turned off the ‘enable alerts’ in the Comodo Firewall, but that didn’t stop the in-game alerts. I then went to my XP security center and was able to add the url that the alert listed and the alerts are now gone. On pogo, I look at peoples profiles and game ranks/stats often and those alerts were driving me nuts, lol.

I looked in the Activity/Logs, but I had shut the computer down and just turned it back on, so that entry wasn’t there. I will be playing on pogo.com this evening, so I will wait for it to disconnect me and then I will check the Activity Log and post another reply.

When I get the ‘unable to connect’ (UTC) message, it knocks me out of that game room (meaning the window that was opened to play that game is closed) and the main page of the game shows the ‘unable to connect’ message. I do not lose internet connection. I am able to reload the same site, or any other, automatically. My Yahoo Messenger is always on–showing me as available, and that status doesn’t change when I receive the UTC message.

The gaming site, www.pogo.com, is entirely online. To play the games, I have to have JAVA and J2SE Runtime Environment installed on my computer. I have checked, and I do have the latest version of this. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled these programs to be sure that I have the correct programs and they weren’t corrupted. I also ran troubleshoot, but no problems were found.

I tried the Help section of the pogo site, which takes me to ElectronicArts, but I was unable to find anything to help me there. But, finding anything useful there is like finding a BigMac in a Chinese restaurant, lol.

I clean my temporary internet files daily with CCleaner, run AdAware daily, run Diskeeper Lite daily and do a daily check of my computer with Spywareblaster.

I can play the games on pogo for hours and not be disconnected. But sometimes, I can play for just a little while and get the UTC disconnect.

Thank you for your help in this mind-boggling matter.

It may be possible that a reboot is needed after turning off CFP’s alerts, for it to take effect; I’m not for sure, since I’ve never done that… Although if adding the URL in WSC stopped the alerts, it sounds like perhaps they weren’t from Comodo?

I’m interested to see what’s in your logs at the next disconnect; if these disconnects do not cause your browser to be blocked (that you can reload the page, or open another page), it doesn’t sound like a Comodo issue, but more like a site or browser issue. Reason being, if Comodo blocks something, without a popup, it’s either based on an existent application rule Blocking, or a network/traffic-related issue. In either case, you wouldn’t likely be able to immediately reload the page.

That said, stranger things have happened… so we’ll just have to look at the logs.

When the block happens, open the logs, right-click an entry and select Export to HTML. Save the file, then reopen it (it will open in your browser).

Highlight the entries surrounding the time of the disconnect (generally a half-dozen entries will have us pretty well covered). Right-click and Copy those, then Paste them into your next post here.

If your external IP address shows in the logs (which will match up with the IP address visible to you in the lower right corner of your posts here), you may mask it out with “x” or “my IP address” or something, for privacy.

LM