Comodo SecureEmail Beta 1.0 mini-FAQ

Comodo SecureEmail Beta mini-FAQ
Q. What operating systems does SecureEmail Beta support?
A. SecureEmail Beta supports Windows 2000, XP and Vista.

Q. Which e-mail clients are supported for the Beta?
SecureEmail should work with the majority of POP/IMAP/SMTP e-mail clients. Please report any issues back here and we’ll fix them as soon as possible.

Q. Does SecureEmail work with POP3/IMAP/SMTP mail clients other than Outlook, Outlook Express and Thunderbird?
SecureEmail in theory should work with other mail clients but comprehensive testing has not been completed and you may experience unexpected behaviour. The “Email folders scanning” will not work with e-mail clients other than Outlook, Outlook Express or Thunderbird.

Q. Is IMAP supported for the Beta?
A. Yes.

Q. I already have an e-mail certificate from a vendor other than Comodo CA. Will SecureEmail work with my certificate?
A. No. SecureEmail is restricted to work with Comodo e-mail certificates only.

Q. How do I get a Comodo certificate?
A. You can use the Sign-Up Wizard from the Certificates tab of the SecureEmail main window. Alternatively you can choose sign-up for an e-mail certificate via Comodo’s website at the following link: http://www.comodo.com/products/certificate_services/email_certificate.html.

Q. I’ve downloaded an encrypted e-mail before I installed SecureEmail and before I had installed my Comodo CA certificate. How do I decrypt a SecureEmail e-mail that I’ve already received?
There are three choices open to you.

For Outlook, Outlook Express and Thunderbird (Windows only) users:
Go to the SecureEmail options “E-mail folders scanning” and enable scanning for your e-mail client.

Other Windows based e-mail client users:
Forward the e-mail back to the receiving e-mail address to enable SecureEmail to intercept it and decrypt the contents.

For all other users including Linux and web based e-mail client users:
To decrypt this e-mail you will need to use the Comodo SecureEmail WebReader service by forwarding the e-mail to secure-read [ at ] secure-email.comodo.com. You will then receive an e-mail with full instructions of how to proceed.

Q. Do I have to disable encryption and signing (S/MIME) in my e-mail client?
A. Yes. For smooth operations of SecureEmail it is strongly recommended that you turn off encryption and signing in your e-mail client as both of these duties will be performed by SecureEmail.

Q. Why are some mails not signed?
A. This could be because your e-mail client has encrypted an e-mail before SecureEmail intercepted it. Please ensure that you have turned off encryption and signing in you e-mail client.

Q. Why isn’t the SecureEmail auto decryption footer added to some e-mails?
A. This is probably because the e-mail was also signed. Adding extra data to a signed e-mail would destroy the integrity of the e-mail’s signature, making the signature invalid.

Q. Where does SecureEmail store my certificate and my contacts’ certificates?
A. SecureEmail uses the standard Microsoft Windows certificate store on your computer to store certificates. You can view these from the Certificates tab in the SecureEmail main window.

Q. What are single-use certificates?
A. SecureEmail can generate a single-use certificate for a contact that you don’t already have an e-mail certificate for and encrypt an e-mail using it. The encrypted e-mail is then sent to the contact and the single-use certificate is uploaded to the SecureEmail server ready for your contact to download.

Q. How can I stop SecureEmail encrypting e-mails with single-use certificates?
A. You can stop SecureEmail encrypting with single user certificates by selecting “Only encrypt for contacts where a certificate is already installed on the system” in the Encryption tab of the SecureEmail main window. Please note that if your turn off this feature e-mails sent to contacts where a certificate is not installed will not be encrypted and will be sent in clear text.