Comodo sandbox and junction points?

Hello,

I’ve never before used the sandbox coz I am a HIPS user but today I decided to give it a try and it seems that COMODO have a problem with junction points.
I bought a new SSD disk a few months ago and moved my Mozilla firefox profile folder and SKYPE profile folder to another disk:

Directory of C:\Users\FFreestyleRR\AppData\Local

12.01.2015 Ј. 17:33 Mozilla [E:\Mozilla\AppData\Local\Mozilla]

Directory of C:\Users\FFreestyleRR\AppData\Roaming

12.01.2015 Ј. 17:33 Mozilla [E:\Mozilla\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla]
12.01.2015 Ј. 17:34 Skype [E:\Skype]

And now when I try to run Mozilla Firefox in the Comodo Sandbox I received the following message:

Can you fix that in some of the next releases?

Also can you give us an option in the sandbox settings to move this folder C:\VTRoot\HarddiskVolume3 to another location? I guess that it will not work if I move the folder with a junction?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Regards,
G.

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback and please note that we are now checking yoru problem. By the way, could you please fill in the bug report via below link:

Thank you very much
Kind Regards
Buket

Re: Comodo sandbox and junction points?

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Here we go:

A. THE BUG/ISSUE Comodo Internet Security 8 do not support junction points. If I try to start Mozilla Firefox in Comodo’s Sandbox while the Mozilla profile is moved to another location with a junction point then I receive an error message saying that Mozilla Firefox profile is missing or unavailable.

Can you reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
Yes, every time. For reference I am able to run Internet Explorer inside the sandbox.

If you can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what you did & what happened:

I created a junction points of the following folders: (using Directory Linker) but the effect is the same if I create the junctions manually with the command prompt.

C:\Users\FFreestyleRR\AppData\Local\Mozilla
C:\Users\FFreestyleRR\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla

One or two sentences explaining what actually happened:

If I try to run Mozilla Firefox using the panel “Run Virtually” and then I receive the message saying that Mozilla profile is missing and unavailable.

One or two sentences explaining what you expected to happen:

I expect to see it working out the way Internet Explorer does nevertheless of the junction points.

If a software compatibility problem have you tried the advice to make programs work with CIS?:

I don’t think that this is the issue here.

Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:

No. Even Windows Defender is disabled.

Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how you tried to fix it etc:

No. I didn’t try to see if Mozilla will work without the junction points but I guess so.

Exact CIS version & configuration:

Comodo Internet Security 8.1.0.4426 using a custom settings profile based on the proactive profile.

Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:

All modules are enabled except the Autosandbox. I leaved it enabled coz when disabled Windows Security Center says that D+ is disabled as well but I turned off the rules (so in fact it is disabled).

Have you made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):

Yes, I did a lot of changes since the default config is weak. I can share my profile if needed.

Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 5, 6 or 7?:

No. I did a clean install of Comodo.

Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS:

Yes, but I tweaked it to remove the invalid rules and settings and make it compatible with Comodo 8.

if so, have you tried a standard config - if not please do:

No, since I don’t think this is the issue here and have something to do with the sandbox.

OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:

Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise, admin account with UAC and SmartScreen turned on.

Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS, including initial trial security software included with system:
Currently I don’t have other security software and the system is malware free (I know that since I am a malware removal expert). :slight_smile:

Regards,
Georgi

Forgot to mention that I didn’t mess with Environment Variables. :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for the details and it is confirmed that the bug will be processed and solved with the next releases for your kind information.

Best Regards
Buket

Thank you. I appreciate your hard work! :slight_smile:

Regards,
Georgi

Since a comodo staff has verified that this bug will be fixed in the next version im going to move this to resolved. If you find later that the new version does not fix this bug feel free to respond in this topic and i will move it to the appropriate section

Thanks

hello ,
I want to know how much space this folder of Mozilla Firefox profile ,we need the news to fix the issue.

Thank you very much
Kind Regards
FlyKite