COMODO requesting to make changes to my hard drive

Hi,

I have the most current version of COMODO Free Firewall ONLY (no antivirus) installed on my Windows 8.1 computer.

Yesterday evening and tonight, I’ve received a User Account Control pop-up box, while simply surfing online (Chrome), asking me if I wanted to allow COMODO to make changes to my hard drive. I said “no” yesterday evening as I didn’t know what changes COMODO wanted to make. I checked for updates to the program, and there were none. Tonight, I again said “no” as there are no changes to the program.

Has any one else had this situation happen to them over the past couple of days? Does any one know what changes COMODO was trying to make? I’m not willing to blindly let COMODO make changes to my hard drive without knowing what the changes are.

Thank you very much for any information you can provide.

Best regards,

mybuddy1998

Can you check with the Comodo Firewall logs what it was doing around the time you got the alerts? Make sure to check under Tasks and AV. I am thinking it could be program updater, cache cleaner/cache builder or the AV updating.

Hi EricJH.

Thank you so very much for the reply.

Unfortunately, all of my logs have been overwritten for the applicable days. I did open a ticket with COMODO Technical Support a couple of days after I posted the message in the forum when there were no replies posted, and I just heard back from them. They told me it was because I had the “Automatically Download the Program updates” option selected in the General - Advanced options.

I unchecked this option and will see if the problem stops. Unfortunately, the problem with keeping this option unchecked is that, according to the Technical Support representative who handled my ticket, I will not be notified when there is an update to the program. I have to check for updates manually.

When I installed COMODO Free Firewall last year, I went through all the settings, and my basic practice with software is to NOT allow the software to automatically download and install updates (This includes Microsoft updates.). Consequently, I don’t think I would have checked this option when I configured the program. I don’t know if the setting could have been changed during one of the recent updates.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks so very much for any information and guidance you can provide.

Best regards,

mybuddy1998

Hi EricJH,

I just got the User Account Control pop-up again, so apparently the “Automatically Download the Program updates” setting is not the problem.

I clicked “no” to the pop-up box prompt.

I checked all the logs as you suggested (and thank you so very much for the suggestion), and the only entry at the time of the pop-up box was in the Configuration Changes log as follows:

Date: 5/27/2016 10:31:44 PM
Action: Object Changed
Modifier: Administrator
Object: Rating Info
Name: C:\Windows\Temp\chromodo_setup.exe
Old Value:
New Value:

So, it doesn’t look like anything was changed which I’m assuming is because I clicked “no” to the pop-up box option.

However, I don’t understand what change CIS was trying to make and why. Do you have any insights as to what is happening and why?

Please note that I use CHROME not CHROMODO when on the Internet.

Thank you so very much for all of your help.

Best regards,

mybuddy1998

With default installer settings CPF will also install Chromodo browser. In case it got installed it will automatically update its self.

I don’t use UAC, it’s one of the first things I disable after I installed CIS, so I don’t know how detailed the alerts are. I assumed the alert would be for Comodo Firewall but now I am no longer certain. Can you check if Chromodo browser got installed with you and post a screenshot of the UAC alert you are getting? If the alert has to option to show more details please post a screenshot of that alert.

Hi EricJH,

Thank you so very much for the information.

The Chromodo browser is installed on my computer. I was using it when I first installed the COMODO Free Firewall, but I stopped using it when I started having problems viewing web sites.

I will definitely post a screenshot of the alert with as much detail asap the next time I get it.

Thank you so very much again for all of your help and your patience.

Best regards,

mybuddy1998

All I can find for Chromodo browser is this one but for a older version, though there are a few others none recent, with no real explanation for.

https://forums.comodo.com/help-cd/new-setup-window-prompt-for-comodo-secure-browser-end-user-license-agreement-t111429.0.html;msg809762#msg809762

Dennis

Hi Dennis2 and EricJH,

Thank you so very much Dennis2 for the very helpful information. Although the information is for an older version of Chromodo, it matches what I found out tonight when I got the pop-up box again. I tried to take a screenshot of the pop-up box but was unable to because the pop-up box replaces the entire desktop with a blue screen and the Print Screen button and screen capture programs won’t work.

However, I did expand the details of message (and my sincere apologies for not doing this initially - so emabarrased :wink: ) and the the specific information is:

Program location: "C:\WINDOWS\temp\chromodo.setup.exe" --cmd-show-eula

So, it does have to do with the Chromodo browser as ErichJh first indicated and also deals with the EULA as Dennis2 found.

It seems that based on what Dennis2 found, it would be safe for me to click “yes” since it’s only the eula that’s being affected, the EULA is updated at times, and it’s in the temp directory. However, I’m not completely certain of this, so if either/both of you could please confirm if would be safe (or not) for me to click “yes”, I’d sincerely appreciate it.

Thank so very much for you continued help with this issue!

Best regards,

mybuddy1998

Go to the Windows Temp folder and check if chromodo.setup.exe is digitally signed and if the signature is valid and from Comodo. You can read here how to check that: GRC | PatchWork -- Windows NT Security Checker   .

Or you could download and install the latest version of Chromod or choose to uninstall Chromodo. You can find the download link in Chromodo 49 is now available for download .

Hi EricJH,

Thank you so very much for the very helpful information.

I checked the web site you recommended, and I don’t have the patchwrk.exe file on my computer. So, for now, I’ve decided to uninstall Chromodo as I’ve never been able to use it to consistently connect to web sites. I may reinstall it at a later date. I would prefer to do so clean install given this problem I’m experiencing.

Best regards,

mybuddy1998

Hi EricJH,

An update to my plan of action in my last post - I did uninstall Chromodo, but when I tried to open a virtual desktop shortly afterwards, I received the message that the virtual desktop doesn’t run properly without Chromodo installed. So, I installed the latest version.

Hopefully, the problem will not resurface.

Again, thank you so very much for all of your help.

Best regards,

mybuddy1998

Glad you got it solved.

The GRC website I linked to was an example of how to check for a signature. They used as example patchwrk.exe.

Hi EricJH,

Thank you so very much for your continued support and the explanation of your example of how to check for a signature. I’m very sorry I misunderstood your initial post.

Best regards,

mybuddy1998

You’re welcome, we’re here to help. :slight_smile: