Comodo Online Backup [Beta] Wishlist

Comodo Online Back-Up {Beta 4} Wishlist.

(Since there isn’t one, I’ll start it ;D)

I wish there was more online space. :smiley: At least 5GB free. Skydrive offers 25GB free. 88)

Thank you :-TU
This idea certainly requires attention :slight_smile:

Please make the software independent of .NET Framework. That’s one of the best thing about all other Comodo software, it has no dependencies. :-TU

Thanks. :a0

LA

Currently I am using Mozy. I know that Comodo has to make $$ on its software. But Mozy Home is annoying because it won’t upload faster then 40-50 kb/s… And sometimes I need to backup hundreds og mbs as I edit movies in school. And everytime I make the smallest change, it has to upload all the file again.

Mozy is quite unstable. It works, it dosn’t work etc.
Comodo need a stable solution with a lot of configuration (maybe easy/expert mode?).
Don’t throttel bandwitch on the serverside (or at least not to 512 kbit, 2-3 mbit is fine).
The .Net thing dosn’t hurt me. It comes bundled with Windows Vista and many people says that the future will be .Net.
2 GB - If you would attract constumers you need to maybe give 5 GB away for free. Make Comodo different. Give the costumer more than it expects.

I think this will be a great idea. I will have a look at it when it comes out in final release and if it works I will uninstall Mozy.

I want the version for Mono(cross platform, open source .NET development framework). At home PC I have OpenSuse.
http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

Maybe link more PC’s to the same account so you can manage all backed up data one central place from 3-4 machines which all contains important data etc.

This is already implemented: you can register several PCs to use with same account.

1. I would like the software to work! I know that may sound odd, but the scheduled jobs seldom function correctly, and I have to watch it perform a backup to make sure it actually runs.

2. More descriptive error messages… I guess this goes off item number 1, since I get error messages every day that just say “Error”. Very informative and helpful.

3. The ability to submit support requests from the applications, with a support ticket tracking system. I honestly have no idea if my support requests have fallen into the “Black Hole” of Comodo, since they are seldom replied too. If I operated my company’s support desk like that, I’d be looking for a new job.

4. The ability to download backed up files via the web. This is something that Iron Mountain had that was REALLY nice. A Web interface to download single files (NO APP NEEDED except a web browser).

Sorry, wrong section :wink:

Support for FTPS. Comodo stands for secure connection, but FTP alone is 100% not secured at all.

I would like to be able to sync insted of uploading the whole backup. I am only able to get on my network once or twice a week so I dont do the sync backup I have to do a manaul backup.

Hi, I just experimented with COB, and did some test backups and restores.

Relatively Easy Fixes:
Restore Drive Capacity Vs Source Drive Capacity
I backed up a newly built 25 GB install of Windows 7 and application software on a 500GB disk. Backup worked well; tried to restore to a 60GB drive - wouldn’t present the drive as a restore option. I read somewhere here that COB will only restore to a drive of the same or greater capacity than the backup source drive. This seems like a crazy restriction, and more like a bug than anything. COB should check if the drive is big enough to restore to before starting, but unused source capacity is irrelevant.

Restore Drive Selection Dialog (Restore Step 3)

The “What do you want to restore” panel shows Options for Disk0, Disk1 and so on, without any descriptive information (such as drive capacity). Given that a clean restore will overwrite the contents, it is important that the selection is correct. It would be very helpful to present any known information about each possible restore drive.

Steps Indicator Enhancement
The Steps indicator could be simply enhanced with a mnemonic descriptor above each step, so that an unfamiliar user can understand where each step is in context to the overall process. Step 4 should be “Status” to show that step 3 is the last entry panel before the process starts (and the target drive is overwritten).
In particular, Step 4 should be a confirmation step, with a button to proceed. Alternatively, the “Next” button on Step 3 should be relabled “Restore Now”. I would prefer a confirmation step, but there is less work with the above. I normally hate confirmation steps, having suffered Microsoft’s Vista confirm everything twice approach, but I think it is important for something such as a system restore.

More difficult fixes:
Features Needed for Internet Backup

Backup software for internet subscription needs to be super smart: backup size reduction needs to be much more sophisticated than mere compression; duplicate files should be reduced to a file handle only - optimised over a significant storage base. i.e.Transmit and Store Once only - not once for each user, but across the storage base. Otherwise, the storage needed blows out quickly, and the internet bandwidth consumed blows itself apart.

Base plus log of changes. This is probably how you have built Comodo Time Machine. It is similar to a database recovery log with checkpoints. There are a number of ways to implement this, including running an agent on the client machine to intercept all disk writes, thereby maintaining a running log of changes tracked by file identifier, to crude versions that only backup files that have changed since the last backup.

Retail clients (home users) have bandwidth usage limits that preclude restoring online (except limited volumes). You should have the option to build and ship physical media (hard drives; dvds; USB Memory) - with gold / silver / bronze guaranteed response times (fee for service).

I hope this helps…

Sorry, I meant to add:

File selection for backup should have an option to select files that have been added or changed since a given date/time.

A fantastic addition in any future release would be an easy way to create a repair disc - it sounds very complicated to create a disc from scratch - Nic