Comodo not loading at Windows startup[RESOLVED]

You know, I just had to ask, when the msconfig pops up, is it the msconfig box itself or is it simply asking about startup like, selective startup? If you open msconfig, what is the setting? It should be set to NORMAL on the first box you see. If you are in diagnostic\selective, it will keep asking you until you check it to not to or set it back to normal. If it’s not loading everything this could be a good reason why CFP isn’t loading , as well, are you doing all this diagnostic stuff in admin mode not limited user? Thanks…

Paul

It is telling me it is in selective startup mode, I check the box and press OK and it asks me if I want to restart now or later. Sometimes I just click the cross button and Msconfig opens and it always says it is in Normal startup mode. It doesn’t matter what I do the System Configuration utility always comes up.

When I have done Virus checks and other stuff lately I go into safe mode and select Administrator at login.

Ok, in Msconfig, make sure in your boot.ini tab , all boxes are NOT checked. also look under services and start up and make sure they ARE all checked.

Paul

Just checked

-Boot.ini tab has no boxes checked.
-Services tab all boxes are checked (There is Comodo Application Agent in there).
-Startup tab all boxes are checked (Comodo Firewall not listed).

I hope this is not taking time away from people who need your help more than myself but I do appreciate it.

This probably doesn’t help but when I was checking Msconfig I did absolutely no changes yet when I pressed OK to exit out of it told me I must restart for the changes to take effect.

Not at all ! I will keep working on it until resolved or you decide to re-install, not a problem !

Here is something I want you to do. I don’t know if we covered it or not or if this will help the msconfig problem but go to C:\Documents and settings\ your name\start menu\programs folder and see if CFP is listed at all. If not, create a shortcut from the cfp.exe and the program folder for the firewall into the above mentioned folder. Do a restart and see how it goes.

Paul

AH, I remember when I had Spy bot a while back, it has a startup option! Have you made sure this didn’t block CPF? It WILL delete the registry startup key from MSconfig . It’s in advanced options in S&D.

Paul

EDIT: I just downloaded and installed S&D, unchecked mhotkey.exe from the list and it’s gone from Msconfig. Open S&D, click mode on top, advanced mode, tools, system startup and look for Comodo entries.

Do you have Ad-Watch running from Ad-Aware ?
This program can also block registry changes, and possibly blocked CPF pro.

The pop-up with the: “CPF is turned off” text. I had it too, but nothing to worry about. CPF loads a little later, and the balloon was gone.

Thank you for that you maniac, lol. I had no idea about ad aware having this as I haven’t used that software for quite some time. I use Spyware terminator now and have for a while. It does a heck of a job, even removes occasional trojans if found. They are legit now and sell software etc…instead of spyware. They must have realized they had an excellent program. I think someone bought them out as well and they started new. It even has a good HIPS protection and the scan is much better than ad aware. I used ad aware for years but it got slow, not finding what it should, etc…went to spybot, finally the above. So there are a couple of options then and once again, thanks for that input.

Sorry about the rant…4:30 am here an pouring coffee directly into my eyes.
Paul

Here is a screenshot of Spybot S&D.
Yes I have Ad-Watch running.

Do you suggest dumping Ad-Aware for something else, I’ll take your recommendations as gold.

Now goto bed (I’m in Australia and its just gone 8:35pm).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thank you for that. You are in fact missing C:\program files, yadda yadda …CPF.exe

You can insert that in the same window you just screen shot with the insert tab and path. However, I suggest doing this. Uninstall both Adaware AND SPybot AND CPF and clean up loose ends. Then install CPF FIRST, Spybot and then Adaware. I’ll bet as maniac mentioned Adaware may be the culprit. Or there is a conflict here. Please do the above, i’ll bet my cup of coffee it works. One thing though, when EXACTLY “if possible” did this msconfig issue start? Was it in fact around the time of Adaware or spybot?

Paul

NP: I am up late due to health issues with my kids so I have to be up. Besides, Ewen “Panic” Is aussie as well and I have been up late chatting with him many times. I am off work so no problem. I may be a local there soon, lol. Wife needs warmer weather.

I will do the suggestions you made soon, the Msconfig time frame I am not totally sure of but I did a clean install of Windows late November.

Alright, sounds good. I am going to bed soon so if not here , just leave a post and I will get back to you .

I hope this works out for you.

Paul

Good news it is fixed. ;D

I followed your instructions and next startup Comodo loaded straight away.

Thank you very much its very helpful to have people with your expertise to ask questions of.

Just checked by rebooting and the system configuration utility is no longer popping up at startup.
I checked CCleaner and It has gone from the Startup.
Very Happy :BNC

Alright! (:CLP) Great to hear and glad to help!

I will mark this resolved and lock so others may get use from this as well.

Glad to hear it’s all well,

Paul