Comodo not blocking uTorrent from accessing internet

Hi,

I’m trying to setup Comodo such that it prevents uTorrent from accessing the internet other than through my air VPN connection, as described here: Win - Mac - BSD Block traffic when VPN disconnects - How-To - AirVPN.
I can’t get it to work though. uTorrent happily keeps on downloading if I disconnect from the VPN. What’s more, if I set a single rule blocking ALL internet access for utorrent.exe, it STILL keeps on downloading.
My system is Win7 x64. I’m using Avira simultaneously; could that be it?

cheers,
Breakgate

Your rules for utorrent will need allow access to the IP address range used by the VPN adapter and then block access to anything else. In essence it would look something like:

If you create a new network zone for your vpn adapter it will make life easier

Allow IP In/Out From In [VPN] To MAC Any Where Source Port Is Any And Destination Port Is Any
Block and Log IP In/Out From [Not in VPN] To MAC Any Where Source Port Is Any And Destination Port Is Any

Hi
I use this guide to block non-VPN connections in individual apps
It was written for V.5 but still works in V.6 :-TU

Utorrent has IPv6 disabled by default but I also disable it just in case :wink:
For Windows Vista and above:
Open cmd prompt and type:
netsh interface teredo set state disabled

Thanks treefrog, that was it! I was wondering why peer list in uTorrent showed only IPv6 addresses…

The strange thing is that IPv6 was disabled in uTorrent before (at least the button “Install IPv6/Teredo” was not grayed out), but it was still downloading. Only after I manually disabled it, as you suggested, did it stop.
Since I’d rather not take any chances, I will also disable IPv6 in Windows, as described in the link that was in your post before you edited it (why did you remove it?), which works too. For reference: Configure IPv6 for advanced users - Windows Server | Microsoft Learn. Setting the registry key to “1” did the trick for me. Not sure if that’s the best option though…

What I find surprising is that uTorrent kept downloading even after I added it to the list of blocked applications in Comodo. This shows that Comodo does not block IPv6 traffic. Seems like a major security risk to me.
<EDIT: OK I see now this is simply a matter of adjusting the Comodo firewall settings. Would be better if filtering IPv6 is the default, though>

Another thing. On the AirVPN forum it is suggested to make a rule to block everything except what is in the VPN IP range. This doesn’t seem to work. Instead one has to make a rule that blocks everything, plus a superseding (higher) rule that allows traffic in the VPN IP range.

Happy new year!

Hey that’s great, glad I could help :slight_smile:

In my experience IPv6 does tend to leak through Utorrent, maybe someone more knowledgeable than I knows why ?

Disabling IPv6 via the registry is IMO the best option as all aspects of IPv6 can be stopped, the command prompt is probably easier for most users, this is why I edited my post. :a0

Without visiting the AirVPN forum and looking at these rules I wouldn’t like to comment why one works and the other doesn’t… anyone else know ?

Happy 2013

EDIT - just spotted this over on wilders http://testmyipv6.com/

The easiest way to disable the ipv6 tunnelling options is by using the following, simply copy and paste in an Administrative command prompt:

netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disable
netsh interface ipv6 6to4 set state state=disabled
netsh interface ipv6 isatap set state state=disabled
netsh interface ipv6 set teredo disabled

Depending on your environment, you may not have all or the adapters listed above. In addition, if you have ‘native’ IPv6, you’ll want to disable on the network adapter in Network and Sharing centre.

As far as ‘leakage’ if you’re running Vista or above, utorrent will simply make use of the underlying TCP stack, which supplies IPv6, there’s no need to enable it specifically in the application. It may also be worth establishing whether your ISP provides ‘native’ IPv6.

As far as 'leakage' if you're running Vista or above, utorrent will simply make use of the underlying TCP stack, which supplies IPv6, there's no need to enable it specifically in the application. It may also be worth establishing whether your ISP provides 'native' IPv6.

:-TU
Thanks Radaghast