Comodo is letting ping's (Echo) trough!

At the ShieldsUp! Test I got this results (none of my ports were open, by the way).

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

I’ve tried adding a rule do discard all ICMP packets… (Block), but that didn’t work. How can I make sure I pass that test and block the ping reply?

Thanks in advance.

Xav.

Can you provide the following info :

1. CPF version number
  2. O/S and service pack level
  3. A screen shot of your current network rules.

Ewen :slight_smile:

CPS Version: 2.2.0.11
Windows XP Professional SP2, Dutch.
[url]http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=comodofirewallnetworkrulesec8.jpg[/url]

Have a look at www.embsolutions.com.au/cpf_rule

This is a flash demo on how to set up the basic rules to allow “normal” internet and LAN usage under CPF. There are quite a few differences between it and your ruleset.

Have you defined a zone for your LAN? Have you added it as a trusted zone?

P.S. Demo created using wink! and doesn’t work under FF or Opera. Use IE or IE-based browser to view it.

Hope this helps,

Ive followed the tutorial, but my PC still responds to ICMP pings…

EDIT: In the Windows Firewall config, even though I have turned it off, Echo response is ticked enabled. I can’t disable it. It say’s that it is auto enabled because port 445 is enabled. Help?

In the forum fro the latest beta (2.3.0.20), egemen has posted a couple of screen shots of the rules for this version. Try replicating these rules in your version, particularly the zone and fragmentedICMP rules.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers,

Are you using a router-modem? In this chase it’s your routers firewall that replies to pings and not CPF :wink:

Yeah, I do, good point.
Ah well, since I don’t have any open ports and am behind a router, it’s not really a security risk, and It’s nothing to do with Comodo. Thanks for the replies, anyway :slight_smile:

Xav.

Try to disable the DMZ on your router settings and probably it will be fixed

Yes. I am also sure this is the gateway problem.

Will try that, thank you.

Give yourself an uppercut, Ewen - sorry, should have thought of that first. ::slight_smile: