Comodo is blocking OpenOffice "Check for updates"

Comodo is blocking OpenOffice “Check for updates”, but I cannot see how to correct this.

I get this message from OpenOffice:
“The host name update.services.openoffice.org could not be resolved.”

When I “Allow all” in Comodo, the problem disappears.

Looking in Comodo Application Monitor and Component Monitor, I cannot see anything blocked.

I have not set up any fancy rules - I am a Comodo newbie.

hi,

i have personally disabled windows Service DNS.

you might instead try in advanced setting skip recursive DNS.

Mike

PS: its reported to have svchost have always asking … but i think its a dns problem

Welcome to the forums, johni ~

Will you try this:

Open Activity/Logs (in CFP). Right-click any entry and select “Clear all logs.”

Then try to update OO again, with CFP set to Custom. When it fails, reopen the Logs and see what is blocked. Report back on that. You can export the logs and post here using this method:

Right-click an entry and select “Export HTML”
Save the file and reopen it (it will open in your browser)
Starting at the bottom (oldest entry) highlight and Copy approximately 5 entries.
Paste into your next post here. If your external IP address shows (it will match up roughly with the IP in the lower-right corner of your posts), you may edit/mask it with “x” for privacy.

Then we’ll see what is being blocked and walk you through any necessary rules.

LM

Thanks Little Mac.

There are only the following two entires to report:

Date/Time :2007-10-04 20:41:17
Severity :Medium
Reporter :Application Monitor
Description: Application Access Denied (soffice.bin:208.67.220.220: :dns(53))
Application: C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.2\program\soffice.bin
Parent: C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.2\program\soffice.exe
Protocol: UDP Out
Destination: 208.67.220.220::dns(53)

Date/Time :2007-10-04 20:41:16
Severity :Medium
Reporter :Application Monitor
Description: Application Access Denied (soffice.bin:208.67.222.222: :dns(53))
Application: C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.2\program\soffice.bin
Parent: C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.2\program\soffice.exe
Protocol: UDP Out
Destination: 208.67.222.222::dns(53)

Okay, so your application rule for soffice.bin with parent application of soffice.exe is being denied UDP Out to Destination Port 53.

You have stated that nothing is blocked in AppMon (which you’d know, as there would be a red “x” next to it). However, you should have seen a popup for this unless you’ve accidentally blocked without Remember and haven’t rebooted. Or, if you’ve set access to specific ports, and this one is not included; you should still see a popup, though.

First thing I would suggest, is to reboot your computer. Then see if it works.

If not, then remove all your Application Monitor rules for OO, and reboot. Then run the updater again, and be sure to select “Remember” and click Allow on each alert that you are given.

LM

Thanks.

Did a reboot and it worked OK.

I suppose I must have blocked it at some point and forgot. Could I have found this in the log?

Not sure what’s going on here…

• If I block it once and don’t check the “remember” box, shouldn’t I get another popup the next time I try it?

• If I block it once and I DO check the remember box, shouldn’t I be able to see it somewhere in Comodo?

Otherwise, I am pleased with Comodo, and thankful not to endure all the nagging to buy stuff you get with other firewalls.

If you block w/out Remember, there is no permanent rule; it’s only blocked for the session. Typically, restarting the application, or exiting/restarting the firewall will clear it out and allow you to start over. Seems to vary from one system to another, though. Reboot will definitely do it.

If you block w/Remember, yes there will be a rule in Application Monitor (or Component Monitor, if it was component-related).

Unfortunately, the log entries (which did show it was blocked), don’t give some of what I would personally consider handy info - like what action caused it to be blocked (a rule, a user action, etc), when that block was instigated, probably some other stuff as well. But that little line “application denied access” means “Blocked.” “Application Monitor” tells you the source to check.

If you see one of these, but there are not any Blocking rules in AppMon, then it’s probably a “block w/o remember” scenario, as we had here.

LM