Comodo Internet Security 2024 v12.3.2.8124 BETA

Oddly fast to drop 7 compared to XP. 12.0.0.6818 was the last for XP, or at least the last to install and work.

I mostly want this because some people mention TAP VPN drivers in the thread and I wanted to check it out. IKEv2 is a bit slow and unreliable.

TAP VPN drivers are working with this build. I am using Proton VPN with TAP adapter.

All I really would need is the firewall component of any version updated to work with TAP drivers. If I can just put together some weird old version with modern inspect(?) driver, that would like just work. I notice 8124 still ships with drivers for XP-8.1 extracting the installer.

@EricCryptid @Varan-de-C0m0d0

From what I see the malware file only sits on the hard disk, There are no auto start entries neither is it running in memory. So it is not an active malware and not a danger.

You can have hundreds of malware sitting on your hard drive without a problem as long you don’t execute them of course.

With AV signatures there is always a time period where a virus will go undetected. We are likely witnessing just that.

2 Likes

How does it apply to TAP drivers now? I assume it would be something in the inf, but comparing between the older version I’m running on main to latest 8124 I see nothing. There are some minor differences in naming, but I see nothing that would make it apply to TAP drivers. I tried manually doing have disk for a TAP driver, but nothing shows. How does this work?

You want to install a TAP driver manually? I don’t know how to do that. :face_with_diagonal_mouth: It gets installed with Proton VPN. CIS will pick up the TAP driver and will filter its traffic.

Gloups… :no_mouth:

I am speechless

Conversely, with up-to-date virus signatures, there might not be hundreds of viruses lying around on the disk :wink:

I don’t understand why Comodo doesn’t take advantage of its pro-active technology to increase its antivirus base as and when it discovers harmful behavior (which it blocks and isolates) on the various machines where it’s installed?

It has everything you need for the best antivirus base on the market.

If one day there’s a breakdown of any kind, all these viruses could be activated. What’s more, if someone leaves Comodo for another brand, or lends their download disk, or scans with another antivirus (cloud, for example) the reaction is very bad: it gives the impression that the product is no good. It’s not enough to be technically sound, you also have to be commercially viable.

It’s also important to win over a large number of customers. Because this argument alone can give the impression that in a while the antivirus base will be useless, and that it’s good to have hundreds of viruses slipping through Comodo CIS detection… (If you keep repeating this over and over again, you’ll kill the product commercially!)

People aren’t ready.

1 Like

Xcitium’s products look really excellent! :+1: :+1:

Can’t we ask Xcitium’s developers for some temporary help in finishing the Comodo CIS 2024 version?

Or is Xcitium now a different legal entity?

2 Likes

You are missing the point in the hypothetical. A malware file just sitting on disk is just that.

If you had been paying attention watching videos by malware testers like cruelsister you would have noticed they have tens if not more malware files sitting on their disks without infection. It is mind boggling you missed that and it shows how strongly you are fear driven.

Let’s clean up the language here. Proactive security does not depend on signatures. It relies on techniques like HIPS and sandboxes to mitigate potentially malicious executables.

With detection based solutions there is always a window period where a malware is not detected and executing it will infect the system where a proactive approach would most likely contain the threat.

I assume you refer to OpenEDR when you use the word proactive but that is improper use of the phrase proactive. It may help to make the window period shorter but it still is signature based with a window period of vulnerability as described.

We use the phrase Proactive Security for non signature based solutions (typically using HIPS and sandbox often in combination with white listing) and the phrase detection based security for solutions that rely on signatures of known malwares.

Please use the definitions properly. Improper use of language easily causes confusion.

2 Likes

Xcitium is alredy working for CIS 2024

Saying this & that is easy but in practical world you don’t know what kind of damage a malware or any threat can cause silently to your system or system files or data so it’s always better to have any malwares getting detected and removed via realtime protection feature only, that’s the only area Comodo really needs a huge amount of improvement still but hope they are going to make significant improvements in the final stable release of the product.

1 Like

Well said exactly Comodo needs to work together with them to improve the antivirus engine & it’s realtime threat detections & removal capabilities to a much much better extent in the final stable release version.

1 Like

hmmmm…do you know how Comodo works?

Hello Sir, I am a very long Comodo user and fan, what I am saying is based on experience not just today but observation since a long time that’s that.

1 Like

I appreciate that, thank you.
Comodo works by virtualizing any unknown executables https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frx52YMHZ24&t=4s

So no detection, no problem.

This is why I was wondering what problem you see when there is no detection?

5 Likes

And then the file is sent to Valkyrie for static and behaviour testing

2 Likes

While the unknown file is contained VirusScope will do the static and behavioral analysis of the file and the report is sent to Valkyrie Static and Dynamic Analysis

Melih, you’re very nice and we owe you a lot. A lot, in fact. So, thank you very much. I really do.

The problem I see is that Comodo is losing customers as a result.

There’s a kind of technical ostracism at Comodo. Repeating over and over that you don’t need a good antivirus base won’t give you a good antivirus base.

You may think like an avangardist engineer at the cutting edge of tech, and that’s true, but I have to convince you that your customers think like henhouse keepers. They don’t want foxes around their hens!

Even if you say they’ll never get in.

One day, a hacker will find a flaw in your system, or Silverlight’s, or whatever, and the hundreds of viruses left on the disk on purpose will wake up.

Bad guys are better off in jail, and computer viruses in quarantine.

People sleep better with that in mind :wink:

1 Like

Every day there’s more bad news about IT security.

You also have to go with the customer’s flow to win them over.

If the customer feels more secure with a more complete antivirus base and more effective real-time scanning, you’ll keep them with that idea longer.

You’re too far ahead of the market.

2 Likes