Comodo Internet Security 2024 v12.3.2.8124 BETA

What would be the point…they wouldn’t win any new customers by doing that…

With automatic containment, there’s no need for real-time protection!

Proactive URL apprehension too…
So no bad downloads …

(Yes… yes… I know… they’ll be blocked afterwards anyway)…
(But my doctor always tells me that it’s better to stay in shape than to wait until you’re sick…)

1 Like

I tried installing this on a virtual machine running Windows 7. I almost immediately get error 1603 trying to install it. The percentage continues to increase until 32 or 33% before freezing. Clicking OK on the message immediately closes the installer. I looked up the issue and found it may be a result of an older Comodo install, however this virtual machine has never seen Comodo, so I have no idea what the cause is.

From memory, you need to have both Win7 SP1 & SP2 installed for it to work. It might be worth trying the offline installer.

The installer I have seems to be offline, it’s 83MB. There is no SP2 for Windows 7, but the VM should have SP1 and updates to EOS.

Yes, the disappearing HIPS rules bug is listed as bug number 20 on this List of current bugs and it has been a bug for almost 20 years…

V12.3.2.8124 BETA does not install on Windows 7.
You need at least Windows 10.

Ok CISfan, going to ignore the actual moderator that seems to imply otherwise.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to .8012 which was the last build to support Win7. Verfsion .8012 is still very secure and what I usually use on my Win 11 machine while I wait for the next stable release.

Oddly fast to drop 7 compared to XP. 12.0.0.6818 was the last for XP, or at least the last to install and work.

I mostly want this because some people mention TAP VPN drivers in the thread and I wanted to check it out. IKEv2 is a bit slow and unreliable.

TAP VPN drivers are working with this build. I am using Proton VPN with TAP adapter.

All I really would need is the firewall component of any version updated to work with TAP drivers. If I can just put together some weird old version with modern inspect(?) driver, that would like just work. I notice 8124 still ships with drivers for XP-8.1 extracting the installer.

@EricCryptid @Varan-de-C0m0d0

From what I see the malware file only sits on the hard disk, There are no auto start entries neither is it running in memory. So it is not an active malware and not a danger.

You can have hundreds of malware sitting on your hard drive without a problem as long you don’t execute them of course.

With AV signatures there is always a time period where a virus will go undetected. We are likely witnessing just that.

2 Likes

How does it apply to TAP drivers now? I assume it would be something in the inf, but comparing between the older version I’m running on main to latest 8124 I see nothing. There are some minor differences in naming, but I see nothing that would make it apply to TAP drivers. I tried manually doing have disk for a TAP driver, but nothing shows. How does this work?

You want to install a TAP driver manually? I don’t know how to do that. :face_with_diagonal_mouth: It gets installed with Proton VPN. CIS will pick up the TAP driver and will filter its traffic.

Gloups… :no_mouth:

I am speechless

Conversely, with up-to-date virus signatures, there might not be hundreds of viruses lying around on the disk :wink:

I don’t understand why Comodo doesn’t take advantage of its pro-active technology to increase its antivirus base as and when it discovers harmful behavior (which it blocks and isolates) on the various machines where it’s installed?

It has everything you need for the best antivirus base on the market.

If one day there’s a breakdown of any kind, all these viruses could be activated. What’s more, if someone leaves Comodo for another brand, or lends their download disk, or scans with another antivirus (cloud, for example) the reaction is very bad: it gives the impression that the product is no good. It’s not enough to be technically sound, you also have to be commercially viable.

It’s also important to win over a large number of customers. Because this argument alone can give the impression that in a while the antivirus base will be useless, and that it’s good to have hundreds of viruses slipping through Comodo CIS detection… (If you keep repeating this over and over again, you’ll kill the product commercially!)

People aren’t ready.

1 Like

Xcitium’s products look really excellent! :+1: :+1:

Can’t we ask Xcitium’s developers for some temporary help in finishing the Comodo CIS 2024 version?

Or is Xcitium now a different legal entity?

2 Likes

You are missing the point in the hypothetical. A malware file just sitting on disk is just that.

If you had been paying attention watching videos by malware testers like cruelsister you would have noticed they have tens if not more malware files sitting on their disks without infection. It is mind boggling you missed that and it shows how strongly you are fear driven.

Let’s clean up the language here. Proactive security does not depend on signatures. It relies on techniques like HIPS and sandboxes to mitigate potentially malicious executables.

With detection based solutions there is always a window period where a malware is not detected and executing it will infect the system where a proactive approach would most likely contain the threat.

I assume you refer to OpenEDR when you use the word proactive but that is improper use of the phrase proactive. It may help to make the window period shorter but it still is signature based with a window period of vulnerability as described.

We use the phrase Proactive Security for non signature based solutions (typically using HIPS and sandbox often in combination with white listing) and the phrase detection based security for solutions that rely on signatures of known malwares.

Please use the definitions properly. Improper use of language easily causes confusion.

2 Likes

Xcitium is alredy working for CIS 2024