Comodo Icedragon - Secure DNS Servers - Starting up

I am quite new to Icedragon, so I’m unfamiliar with certain things.

Before I install it, out of the above options,

Option 1: When it says “with all applications”, what are the other applications this refers to?

Option 2: When DNS servers are used in Icedragon only, does this make customers’ standard ISP server totally redundant? If not, what is left unchanged after choosing this option?

Option 3: If choosing this option, whereby the standard ISP server is used, does this mean that customers’ computers could be infected if accidentally visiting infected sites, due to the Comodo DNS servers not being installed?

For options 1 and 2, if either of these options are chosen, does Comodo automatically switch to its own IP addresses? or would I need to change this manually?

If I choose option 1 or 2, can I swap around another time? or would I need to uninstall then reinstall Icedragon to make the change?

I would like to use COMODO SecureDNS Servers (with all applications).

I would like to use COMODO SecureDNS Servers (in IceDragon only).

I do not want to use COMODO SecureDNS servers

Anything that connects to the internet.

No, your ISP’s DNS service is still used for any other application that accesses the internet. Only your web browsing through the Comodo browser is utilizing SecureDNS.

Well, that depends on many factors. I think the biggest factor being, how new is the site in question? Since the internet is a huge place, and malicious sites come an go, often within hours, the act of trying to blacklist all harmful sites is a huge undertaking. I’m not sure what the turnaround time is for malicious sites being reported and added to the SecureDNS database is, but the chances are pretty good that you may hit a site that hasn’t been added to the database yet.

That brings me to the next factor. How good is the software you’re using to protect your PC? Your security software should be able to deal with any web based infection vectors.

And the final factor I’ll mention, just visiting a malicious site will usually not infect you.

The addresses will be changed for you by the installer.

No, you don’t need to uninstall anything. You can manually change back to your ISP’s servers at any time. (Not a difficult thing to do)

Thanks for clarifying the issue regarding customers’ standard ISP uses.

I’ll think it through, but I might pick the maximum protection offer of allowing Comodo to cover anything connected to the Internet including e-mails. I’m trying to balance how much resources are used with security and speed, as some other products heavily slow down users’ computers.

If I were to choose option 1 (with all applications), but then wanted to change to option 2 (in Icedragon only), would that require uninstalling then reinstalling? and

As I share a router with another person (she doesn’t yet have Comodo Icedragon), would the router be able to work with two different sets of IP addresses?, even if I changed the settings on just my computer or would the router only work on one browser’s IP address, eg Comodo?

I’ve copied the details of how to switch from Comodo’s DNS server to my ISP server, just in case I decided to switch back. It’s useful to have the different options.

From personal experiences, in my cases, malware has infected my computer in the past. It must depend on how severe the infection is (pop-up diallers, automatic but phoney anti-virus products scanning my computer after visiting certain sites caused a few problems before I invested in AVG).

It’s thanks to AVG that, upon me visiting certain family friendly web sites, some malware has been blocked, so an infection must have been placed on the sites without the owners’ knowledge. Originally, AVG would display a warning about web sites being dangerous, but now it does this but also automatically deletes the web page to prevent the malware from going anywhere, no longer enabling the option for users to enter at their own risk. This is fine provided the information isn’t a false positive. I think AVG’s accuracy is very high, as it lists a few different types of malware affecting parts of a web site I originally visited when all sections were accessible and safe to visit.

All sections of this web site then became inaccessible, but hoping the malware had since been removed, I tried again to visit the web site, finding that almost all pages are now accessible, but AVG blocked two sections including page 1 of a list of music information I can’t access:

http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/sitereports/domain/rare-tv-archive.webuda.com/

http://rare-tv-archive.webuda.com/ttp7.htm

http://rare-tv-archive.webuda.com/ttb.htm

I don’t know when this web site service began but I first found it sometime last year. Going by the type of information it displays, it very likely began within the past few years.

With AVG anti-virus, I also use Microsoft’s firewall Windows Defender on a Windows Vista platform, but according to reviews, it’s said that Defender is much less secure than Comodo’s own firewall.

I look forward to installing Icedragon soon.

No, you shouldn’t need to uninstall. You can just manually change your DNS settings back to your ISP, then there should be an option in Ice Dragon to enable DNS for Ice Dragon. (I’m unsure where this option may be, as I don’t use Ice Dragon.

The settings on your computer will override the DNS addresses that your router is set to. So you could make the changes on your computer, and your friends connection will remain unaffected.

If you wanted to use SecureDNS on multiple computers sharing the same router, you’d need to change the DNS addresses manually on your router as the software isn’t able to make changes to an external device.

Thanks for your updates.

I’ll keep a note of your information for future reference.

If I do decide to change to another option, I’ll have a search around within the Icedragon program. If I have no luck, I’ll ask on the forum, but it will be good to use Icedragon for the first time.

You’re welcome.

By all means, ask if you have any further questions. Somebody is bound to have the answers. :slight_smile: