Comodo freezing Need for Speed

Hello all. New to the forum and ready to smash my PC if I can’t find a solution to this problem…

So, I recently installed Comodo on my Vista machine, and everything was fine until I tried launching Need for Speed today. I am able to get into the first load screen before a a message from Comodo pops up to inform me that nfs.exe is attempting to edit a registry entry (tied to punkbusterB.exe). At this point if i try to click on the dialog box it seems as though the NFS window takes the active position before the dialog box can receive my command to allow the edit. Because of the reg change Comodo has paused NFS’s program load and my computer locks up on a blank screen.

At this point I am unable to bring up Task Manager, ctl/alt/del does not work, alt F4 does nothing and the only option I am left with is to hard boot my system. I went into the Comodo control window and made nfs.exe a trusted app, but this did not fix the problem. I searched for an option to disable registry monitoring and i found nothing. I do not actually need Comodo to monitor my reg because I have Spybot Seek & Destroy monitoring it already.

My question is, can i disable reg. monitoring for this app/all apps? If Comodo does not have this option available, is there a script/hack/registry edit that can kill this function of Comodo? Thank you in advance for your help.

Welcome. :slight_smile:

This should solve your problem with Punkbuster.

Training Mode: Defense+ will monitor and learn the activity of any and all executables and create automatic 'Allow' rules until the security level is adjusted. You will not receive any Defense+ alerts in 'Training Mode'. If you choose the 'Training Mode' setting, we advise that you are 100% sure that all applications and executables installed on your computer are safe to run.

Tip: This mode can be used as the “Gaming Mode”. It is handy to use this setting temporarily when you are running an (unknown but trusted) application or Games for the first time. This will suppress all Defense+ alerts while Comodo Internet Security learns the components of the application that need to run on your machine and automatically create ‘Allow’ rules for them. Afterwards, you can switch back to ‘Train with Safe Mode’ mode).

By the way, there is an option to disable registry protection in D+ (Defense+ > Advanced > D+ Settings > Monitor Settings > Protected Registry Keys), although I would not recommend this option. You would lose a good amount of protection in D+ by doing so.

:slight_smile:

Hey .FaZio93.

Thank you for the response. I am more in favor of disabling the registry protection than adjusting the settings of the firewall. The main motive is because, as i mentioned, I have Spybot S&D monitoring any and all registry activity. However, before I do this I figured I should learn how Comodo’s protection holds up. Does anyone know if the built-in registry monitoring is better/equal/worse than Seek & Destroy’s?

Did Spybot S&D warn you about registry modification that nfs.exe wanted to make?

D+ surpassess Tea Timer. You can safely disable Tea Timer as D+ does the same thing and more.