Comodo freezes Windows due to HIPS/Firewall popup during fullscreen app launch

Hello,
This is a problem that exists quite a long time now:
When starting a fullscreen app that takes control of the screen and hips is on hips will ask about granting the permission to the app. However the app will block the screen input so the screen will be black and you cannot answer the request and essentially the os is dead since it cannot be minimized.

My suggestion is to solve it with some kind of layer that will make sure the os never gets blocked by an app.

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)
Can you reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
Quote from maftul: This issue has existed in every version of Comodo since v6.0 (I am 100% positive v5 was fine) and can be very easily reproduced by launching full screen games. In such cases, certain alerts do manage to get on top of the game screen, allowing the user to answer them and continue, but alerts related to “interprocess memory access” fail to do so and appear under the full-screen game, resulting in a hard lock since neither the game can be minimized/closed to reply to the alert, nor the alert will ever unlock the game, and the only solution in this case is to do a hard reboot.

I have specifically made a ruleset for games with “interprocess memory access” set to allow, which I apply to game executables before launching them for the first time, to avoid this issue.
If you can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what you did & what happened:
above
One or two sentences explaining what actually happened:
black screen on fullscreen games
One or two sentences explaining what you expected to happen:
normal start of them
If a software compatibility problem have you tried the advice to make programs work with CIS?:
What advice?
Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:
Any fullscreen game example: Civilization beyond the sword.
Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how you tried to fix it etc:
see above

B. YOUR SETUP
Exact CIS version & configuration:
Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:
HIPS is safe mode
Have you made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):
Quite a load but this is irrelevant for this issue.
Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 5, 6 or 7?:
no
if so, have you tried a a a clean reinstall - if not please do?:
?
Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
no
if so, have you tried a standard config - if not please do:
?
OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:
Windows 10 64 bit
Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS, including initial trial security software included with system:
nay

C. ATTACH REQUIRED FILES (delete this section (section C) after attaching required files)

like this??? :cry:
I see this for the last 3 days

The problem i mean is a program in full screen that was interrupted its completely black nothing to see.

Please edit your post to be in the required bug reporting format so it can be forwarded to Comodo thanks.

This issue has existed in every version of Comodo since v6.0 (I am 100% positive v5 was fine) and can be very easily reproduced by launching full screen games. In such cases, certain alerts do manage to get on top of the game screen, allowing the user to answer them and continue, but alerts related to “interprocess memory access” fail to do so and appear under the full-screen game, resulting in a hard lock since neither the game can be minimized/closed to reply to the alert, nor the alert will ever unlock the game, and the only solution in this case is to do a hard reboot.

I have specifically made a ruleset for games with “interprocess memory access” set to allow, which I apply to game executables before launching them for the first time, to avoid this issue.

i think it has the right format.

I suppose this “Incomplete Issue Reports” section is where you stash all your glaring problems, inaccessible via Google search unless you log in. This problem is glaringly obvious to anyone who has ever used Comodo, and it’s even been submitted in proper format. Not to mention the fact that it has been reported for years and years with no fix in sight. And it’s not even a minor bug to be dismissed so casually - it makes you have to reset your computer, which is completely unacceptable - at least if other programs crash, they don’t take down the entire OS with them. Do you really expect us to believe that it hasn’t been fixed simply because no one has submitted a bug report in “proper” format?

Interesting that another bug report contradicts this issue, in regards to alerts stealing focus, which I have experienced before with video games being alt-tabbed or minimized to the desktop to answer an alert or in some cases when full scree application is running in a lower resolution, the alert is shown on top of the application and the alert is stretched out.

You also have the fact that comodo implemented game mode now renamed to silent mode for such cases when running full screen applications. Or you can also switch to training mode for the firewall and HIPS. I know in your other post you want to know of hotkeys which is available by hold the ALT key and selecting a letter. e.g. ALT + a is to allow.

Or you can also switch to training mode for the firewall and HIPS.

So you suggest to disable security to avoid cis bugs? I don’t think its a good policy from comodos side to handle bugs…

For me this does not happen with every fullscreen game, i think it happens with games that write directly to the screen one example is master of orion 2.

Do you really expect us to believe that it hasn't been fixed simply because no one has submitted a bug report in "proper" format?

There are some bug reports i reported which i could not reproduce or as example lacking the exact versions info which unless someone else reports the will be forgotten… It just very worrisome that bugs that are so serious exist so long.

I am afraid this says it all, you want them to fix a bug for your specific settings which you will not supply.

Have you made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.): Quite a load but this is irrelevant for this issue.
Sorry but you have zero chance without full details.

Implying that these setting changes do not affect the outcome is not a option.

Any bugs that occur outside default settings are not serious in any way.

Thank you

Dennis

It seems the bug report in question is in regards to the restart prompt, which is different from a security prompt, and not in regards to fullscreen applications. Also note that Comodo does not freeze if you set the application to use fake fullscreen (borderless window). I will try to use Alt+A next time I happen upon the bug and see what happens.

Update: I just tested it again, Alt+A was unresponsive. I also set the fullscreen application’s resolution lower than my desktop resolution, there was no distorted alert popping up in front of the fullscreen application.

You know the thing with such a bug is that I really don’t want to have to test it repeatedly, seeing as how I have to hard reset my computer each time it occurs. If you want to reproduce it, here is how:

1. Have HIPS activated and set to the default Safe Mode (I haven’t tried it in other modes).
  2. Choose any fullscreen (game) application that runs in true fullscreen mode (not borderless window), and make sure that Comodo HIPS does not have a ruleset for it, so that it will give you security prompts when the application runs.
  3. Don’t turn on silent mode for Comodo.
  4. Run the fullscreen application.
    (Also, this is on Windows 10 64 bit, although I don’t think it should matter, since I’ve had the same problem on at least two previous computers with different Windows OS’s.)
Have you made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.): Quite a load but this is irrelevant for this issue.

Sorry but you have zero chance without full details.

Implying that these setting changes do not affect the outcome is not a option.

Any bugs that occur outside default settings are not serious in any way.

It is irrelevant because it happens with default settings too and is easy to reproduce!
So i guess you now misinterpret what i did write and set it to not serious?

Well the question is why produce a bug report not with default settings 88)

It makes it much easier for devs. to fix it.

Thank you

Dennis

Well the question is why produce a bug report not with default settings 88)

It makes it much easier for devs. to fix it.

The reason might be because i am not a full time full payed comodo employee who get money to spend the time to reset cis to standard setting the test it out with 10 games i buy extra for this and then discuss several days if this is really a issue that should be handled in some way at all…

Actually i feel more and more like if you don’t want to have feedback, wishes and bug reports maybe i waste my time to write them at all…

It is a 30second job to load the default configuration.

If you do not want to do that, please provide full details in your bug report.

Please note CIS is free so they have no incentive to try to fix something other than default setting unless you provide full details.

Please note all Bug board Moderators are not paid in any way or form all is done for free.

Thank you

Dennis

I’ve recently tried playing two games that cause my computer to freeze up and force me to reset it.

7 Days to Die
Far Cry 5

Both games use EAC - Easy Anti Cheat.

The only way I’ve been able to get Far Cry 5 to boot at all is by completely uninstalled CIS, which I don’t find to be a reasonable solution.
I already added the FC5 game folder as an exception to both the general exceptions and the shellcode exceptions.

I’ve tried searching the forums here for other posts about this but found nothing.
Any suggestions ? Thanks.

I suppose I should add that I’m on Windows 7, and I believe last installed CIS 10 and was up-to-date with whatever version auto-update has pushed to me.

Just wondering if u added the EAC folder as well.I’m running win 7 and have had no issues with EAC.

If you had a look in the Comodo Logs, was there anything that was shown as blocking EAC or the game?