Comodo free ssl offer a scam

I’m quite frustrated because this company offers a free SSL for starters but the website that signs you up for the “free SSL” doesn’t work. (The ssl signup starts here- https://secure.instantssl.com/products/SSLIdASignup1a.) When I asked for live TECHNICAL SUPPORT, I was first sent to a sales person who tried to sell me a product; only after justifying my need for a short free SSL, did I get transferred to a technical support person. Once in the tech support department, I was constantly questioned, put on hold, asked to send a picture of the problem, and in the end asked to open a TROUBLE TICKET. In my thread, it was obvious that the technical support person had no idea about what was going on. I, the customer, am not here to troubleshoot your problems. To me, the whole free SSL is just a scam to get you in their door so they can sell you something else.

I thought after a 5 hour break I’d forget about you. Unfortunately for you, I’m still fuming. Below my name is the thread of my conversation.

Rob Stokes

March 18, 2010 @ about 5:30 pm CST-
Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with ‘Bob’

Bob: Hi
Bob: Welcome to Live Chat Assistance. How may i help you today more on SSL ?
you: I am trying to get a free SSL Cert for the first time. Going through your cert process, it wants fields in RED to be completed. However, the field for Company does not allow anything to be placed into it; all the other RED fields do allow data. Once I submit my data, I get a kick back that all fields in RED must be completed. How do I get past this problem? Rob
Bob: Do you have an ecommerce in your site ?
Bob: Free SSL
you: Depends on what you mean by “ecommerce.” Yes, we sell stuff. No in that all transactions are done by a 3rd party. Rob
Bob: In case of Ecommerce sites. I suggest you to go for a real paid certs. Also we do have 30 days full refunds policy for our paid certs
Bob: Would you like to go for our Paid certs now ?
you: I guess… Technically, the answer is no since we don’t pass money through our servers; just around our servers. And, why does an “ecommerce” site status depend on whether the Company field on your SSL web page will work, or not? Rob
Bob: Instant SSL is a fully business validated certificate and it comes with a free corner of trust logo worth $119. It mainly carries a warranty of $10,000…And you can have Email & web support
you: I see what you mean and why you asked. I am just playing with certs for the first time. Maybe later we will pass money over our site but your 90 day free cert offer looked good for learning. (And, I am learning just by talking to you!)
you: So how do I get past this Company field issue? Rob
Bob: Yes, You need to sign up and fill all those details
you: Isn’t that what I am doing by going though Step 3: Your Corporate Details?
you: That’s where I am getting stuck at.
Bob: Just a moment
Bob: Please hold on. Let me transfer you to Support Dept. They may assist you better.
Please wait while I transfer the chat to ‘Jonathon’.

You are now chatting with ‘Jonathon’

Jonathon: Hi
you: Jonathon, Can you read the thread thus far or do I have to copy and paste it back into this send window?
Jonathon: Fill your company details there
you: It won’t let me… I’ll go copy and paste the problem here again. One moment.
Jonathon: ok
you: I am trying to get a free SSL Cert for the first time. Going through your cert process, it wants fields in RED to be completed. However, the field for Company does not allow anything to be placed into it; all the other RED fields do allow data. Once I submit my data, I get a kick back that all fields in RED must be completed. How do I get past this problem? Rob
Jonathon: Can’t you type the data on this column?
you: No. Not for the Company field. For all other fields in grey and red, yes, including the first field labeled Website/Server Name.
Jonathon: Please send the error screenshot to support@comodo.com that will help us to serve you better.
you: Actually no, I can’t type into the first field labeled Website/Server Name.
you: It’s not really an error. The server responds with “Required field(s) missing!” and then gives me the page again. Is that what you want sent to the support address?
Jonathon: what is your domain name?
you: Just sent you the email. The subject is “Can’t get past Step 3 - Your Corporate Details.”
you: My machine name that I am trying to get a cert for is www11.idigmedia.com. I’m not going for a domain cert just yet.
Jonathon: Leave the grayed out columns
Jonathon: Fill the other columns
you: The only gray field that I filled in was Company Number. I’ll remove the number and try again.
you: Same message. “Required field(s) missing!”
Jonathon: Company Number???
you: I assume Company Number mean company phone number.
Jonathon: Fill the DUNS number
you: Same reply message: “Required field(s) missing!”
you: Tried FireFox, some problem.
Jonathon: what is your ticket#?
you: Where do I find a ticket number? There is no mention of a “ticket” anywhere on the page.
Jonathon: You have sent the error screenshot to us
Jonathon: If you sent the mail, you received the ticket#
you: I told my email to Get Mail from Server. No ticket has been returned nor has it been routed to my Junk Mail. Please verify the address I sent to: support@comodo.com.
Jonathon: let me check
you: I’ve tried it now on 3 web browsers. IE 8.0.7600.16385, FireFox 3.0.5, and Safari 4.0.4. It’s obviously a problem with the web page. Because this is such a obvious error, anyone trying for a free cert can’t get one.
Jonathon: Not yet receive your mail.
Jonathon: submit the ticket here with error screenshot
Jonathon: https://support.comodo.com/index.php?_m=tickets&_a=submit
you: I’ve troubleshooted your web site enough for the day. Because the error is so obvious and your support link sent me to a sales person initially, I assume that your company never intended to provide free certs. The “free cert page” is just a scam to get people to pay or have some kind of “branding experience” with you that they’ll remember. Yes… I’ll remember your site. So will the other people when I post this thread on a scam website. Bye.

I will forward a link to this topic to someone who should be able to get to the bottom of it.

Ewen :slight_smile:

Rob,

I am very sorry about your troubles. I am a Senior Digital Certificate Technical Support agent here at Comodo. I do forums, email (tickets) and phone support.

I know how to easily correct your problem. You did lay it out quite clear and I’m sorry it wasn’t noticed sooner. I understand how frustrated you must feel especially over something so simple as this.

Those RED fields come from the CSR. I found your stagnant order which didn’t make it all the way to our system. It’s still in limbo. We require 3 fields on all CSRs submitted to us. CN, C and O fields. (Common Name, 2 Letter Country Code and Organization/Company)

Your CSR decoded to the following:

CN=www11.idigmedia.com
C=US

As seen here: http://secure.comodo.net/utilities/decodeCSR.html

Simply regenerate the CSR with that O field in the CSR and you’ll be able to move on. Again, I am very sorry your issue was not resolved in a satisfactory manner. Normally we do not offer phone support for our free certificates, but as our apology to you, you may call in via 1-888-Comodo1 between 9a and 5p M-F for phone support. Please ask for me by name (Sal). You also need to mention you posted to the Comodo forums when you call in as well.

Once again I am sorry for your troubles. Please let me know if there’s anything else we can do for you.

–Sal