COMODO Firewall Pro Files Submission Module has encountered a problem

Is there a way to purge the queue of submitted files?

I attempted to submit a file from my Pending Files list. cfpsbmit.exe failed, and periodically retries and fails again. At this point if its not going to work, I would like to delete the files and stop the getting the failure messages.

Secondary question, What blocks file submission?

Comodo 3.0.14.276
Windows Pro XP SP2
Broadband connection, running as Computer Administrator

Error message:
COMODO Firewall Pro Files Submission Module has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 12/16/2007
Time: 10:49:08 PM
User: N/A
Computer: N/A
Description:
Faulting application cfpsbmit.exe, version 1.0.0.1, faulting module , version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

Had the same problem.
When you get that error, there is some way (can’t remember exactly) to click on it for a data execution prevention exception.
When you do this check the box next to Comodo Firewall Pro Files Submission Module.
After you will be able to submit the files, even when running from a limited account.

Regards,
Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion. I found “My Computer/Properties/Advanced/Performance Options/Data Execution Prevention” allowed me to grant an exception by adding a specific program path. It didn’t resolve the cfpsbmit.exe issue, and disabled Outlook extension (SpamBayes). But maybe that wasn’t what you suggested.

iefbr14

Undo what you did.

What you want to do is to log in as administrator (this will not work from a limited account).
Submit your files.
This should generate your

Error message:
COMODO Firewall Pro Files Submission Module has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you look on that box there should be somewhere to click for the data execution prevention (DEP) exception.
Clicking should bring up another box which contains Comodo Firewall Pro Files Submission Module as the DEP exception to allow.
Checking this box will allow the DEP exception and will allow the files submission module to function.

Regards,
Mike

Mike,

I really appreciate you patience, as I am a total Comodo newbie. I have undone what i did, and I am already logged in as Administrator. I get two pop-up windows, as follows:

COMODO Firewall Pro Files Submission Module
COMODO Firewall Pro Files Submission has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.
[Close]

Submitting the file(s) for analysis… [X]
Files are being submitted to COMODO. Please wait…
[] Show Progress Window [Abort]

The only option on the first is [Close].
The options on the second are [X] to close, or [Abort] to abort, and a check box to Show Progress. I have tried all combinations, and don’t get any check box about Data Execution Prevention exceptions.

thanks again
iefbr14

Let’s make sure the install was good.
Double click the firewall icon.
Click the Miscellaneous tab.
Click Diagnostics.
What does it say?

Regards,
Mike

“The diagnostic utility did not find any problem with your installation.”

System:
CPU –32 bit
Windows XP Pro SP2
Comodo 3.0.14.276
Avast! 4.7.1098
Firewall Train with Safe Mode
Defense+ Clean PC Mode

If i click [Abort] on the previous window, i do get to a Files Submission window, but everything except [Cancel] and [Help] is grayed out.

If i try to [Add] another module on that window, i get the error message:
Previous Process not yet completed.
Please try after some time.
[OK]

iefbr14

Good.
Installation is ok.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the firewall so that I could reproduce the problem and write down exactly what happens.
The old memory is not what it used to be.
See my next post.

Regards,
Mike

I get the above message when logged into a limited account.
I believe that you are mistaken when you say you were logged in as Administrator.

Interfacing the internet while logged into an administrator account is not a good idea.
Why?
If someone hacks into your account while you are logged as administrator, they also have administrator rights and can do anything they want to your computer.

Thus it is good practice to surf the internet from a limited account.
Why?
If someone hacks into your account while you are logged as a limited user, they only have limited user rights and consequently cannot do as much damage.

That being said I am going to ask you to log into an administrator account and then try to submit your files to Comodo for analysis.
Why?
Because when I did this I got a popup window from Microsoft entitled:

Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows
To help protect your computer, windows has closed this program.
Name: Comodo Firewall Pro Files Submission Module
Publisher: Comodo

Hit the Change Settings Buttom

Select the radio button for:
Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select

Check the box next to Comodo Firewall Pro Files Submission Module

Hit OK

At this point it would probably be a good idea to reboot you computer (minimize the amount of time interfacing the Internet as Administrator), and then log into a limited account to do what you want.

Now you will be able to submit you files to Comodo from a limited account.

Regards,
Mike

Mike,
I really appreciate all the time spent trying to help me.

There is something about my installation that seems messed up. I can never get to the Windows pop up you describe. I believe the submit process never gets far enough to be stopped on the Data Execution Prevention. The pop ups I get are from Comodo, saying the File Submission Module encountered a problem.

When I use “Miscellaneous/Submit Suspicious Files” to try and add to the file submission queue, I get the error “Previous Process not yet completed. / Please try after some time.” But every 20 minutes like clockwork there is an application error in the event log. So I can’t submit new files until the previous submission succeeds, or I somehow purge the queue.

There are also simultaneous events in the Defense+ Events log, flagging Dr. Watson for “Access Memory” of cmdagent.exe and cfpsbmit.exe. Do I need to grant access to dwwin.exe and drwtsn32.exe? Microsoft Corporation is on the list of My Trusted Software Vendors, so I haven’t done anything to change permissions there.

I can see there is an “Application Data\comodo\common\File Submission\CFPFSQueueFile.que” but I can’t decode what it contains. The “Remove” and “Remove All” buttons are grayed out on the file submission window, so i don’t see a programmatic way purge the queue. Other than reinstalling.

Thanks.
iefbr14

You are only going to get the pop ups saying the File Submission Module encountered a problem if you are connected as a limited user.
You HAVE to have administrator rights in order to get to the Data Execution Prevention screen.
The Data Execution Prevention screen is NOT available to limited users.
This is why you HAVE to log in as administrator and then submit your files to Comodo.
Doing so will cause Windows to issue the Data Execution Prevention screen.

Regards,
Mike

Mike,

I am getting the File Submission error while logged in as Administrator.

The default setting of Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is turned on for essential Windows programs and services only. So that is not throwing an error.

As you suggested, I tried “Turning DEP on for all programs and services except those I select.” I added exceptions for cfp.exe, cfpsbmit.exe, and cmdagent.exe.

The results are the same. I still get errors every 20 minutes when cfpsbmit.exe runs again. But they are still COMODO pop ups, not DEP exceptions.

iefbr14

That was going to be the next thing that I suggest you do.
Since you have done this and are still getting the error, I don’t know what is going on.

Regards,
Mike

No, you do not want to do this.
I mistakenly assumed that you had DEP enabled for all programs.
It appears that you did not.
I had DEP enabled for all programs.
I received the same error as you and the insrtructions that I gave you were based on having DEP enabled for all programs.
Since you did not have DEP enabled for all programs what I told you does not apply.
Changing the DEP settings will not help in your case.
My solution only applies only if you previously had DEP enabled for all programs.
I am sorry that I did not verify your DEP status earlier.
I don’t have any idea as to what is going on in your case.
Perhaps someone with the same problem will chime in.

Regards,
Mike

Mike,

Thank you for all your efforts trying to in help me.

At least i have learned a lot more about COMODO, DEP, and Administrator privileges.

I will try reinstalling, and avoid submitting any files until I learn more.

thanks again.
iefbr14