Comodo Firewall 12.2.2.7098: Windows hangs during startup

From the research I was able to do it was the January 2021 monthly update that brought Windows 10 20H2 to build 19042.746.

KB4598242 update will advance your system to Windows 10 Build 19042.746 if you’re using version 20H2.

I think here is the misunderstanding, because I can assure you I’m not participating to any Insider Program for any of my computers.
Cheers.

In the computer without the issue (the fourth machine), I can’t remember exactly now … it was so time ago.
Anyway I usually install before antivirus and then the firewall.

Instead, in the computer with the issue I described, I uninstalled both antivirus (Avast Free Antivirus) and Comodo Firewall.
Then I re-installed Avast and immediately after Comodo Firewall. After I installed Comodo Firewall the problems raised up.

The latest stable and official release is what is being used here: Win 10 releases

Agreed ! :slight_smile: 19041.746 vs 42 I stand corrected !

Thanks for the info.
I only proposed the roll back just as a check to see if the current windows version would be possibly causing the issue on that particular machine independent of whether the current windows version was official or not.

Thank you all for the contributions, clarifications and suggestions! :slight_smile:
Now, in this blessed computer I have removed Comodo Firewall and the startup loading problems seem to be gone. I will wait for the eventual release of a new version. I hope soon!

I forgot to ask but did previous CIS versions work (not having startup issues) on that particular machine with your current windows version?

A new version of CIS isn’t going to magically fix the issue with using conflicting 3rd party security software. Instead of removing CIS, you need to remove avast as it is most likely causing conflicts regardless of setting exclusions.

I can confirm that with previous versions of Comodo Firewall everything was fine.
Thanks to everyone and in any case for your attention.

I hope someone will still want to consider this discussion, although in fact now archived by the moderators.
I ran further tests, removing all third-party security programs (Avast Free Antivirus, in particular) and leaving only Comodo Firewall version 12.2.2.7098.
Well the problem reported in the thread recurs again, so I think I can conclude that “my” Comodo Firewall 12.2.2.7098 occasionally decides not to work with Windows 10 20H2 build 19042.746. I mean: all the programs provided for automatic start are not loaded, the system practically stops responding/hangs and the computer must be restarted manually.
Precise: when the problem occurs it is impossible to start the cisreporttool.exe tool as well, as already described above.
Thanks for the attention. :slight_smile:

Maybe redundant to ask but did you check each and every log (FW and HIPS logs in particular) to see if there is any application/process/service or whatever being blocked or prevented from execution or being blocked/prevented from having internet/LAN access?

First of all, thank you so much for your answer! :slight_smile:
I checked the “Unblock Applications” under “General Tasks” and unblocked all (few, to be honest) components I found there referring other third party security software.
The problem is that the issue raise up even if I uninstall, as I’ve done, all other security software.

There is a particular on this computer: I’ve the Hyper-V Microsoft module installed. This is the only difference (that now I can find …) from my other computers fine working with Comodo Firewall.

If you are eager to find the culprit then I would say find all differences and uninstall them (all or one by one) and then check again if your PC hangs.

Basically I’m trying to do something like what you suggested: go by exclusion. However, it is not easy, also because there are not a few programs and operating system modules installed and there are many variables to consider. :o
I am also trying to find a solution using the “Get Live Support” service, through a certified Comodo technician.

My bet would be on Hyper-V to try.

First of all thank you all for your attention and patience! :slight_smile:

Below you can read the answer I practically just gave to Comodo’s Internet Security Support by mail.

I waited to give an answer to verify if the last solution I adopted had produced, as it did, the desired effects.

Then, in the various attempts, I removed every third protection program, keeping only Comodo Firewall 12.2.2.7098: the issue still existed.

Subsequently I removed the Microsoft Hyper-V module, but even in this case the problem recurred.

After setting the English language of the interface (I am referring it only for completeness), at the end I decided to try excluding the various protections offered by Comodo Firewall module by module, starting with the “Auto-Containment” function, even having reinstalled software third-party protection (in the specific case Avast Free Antivirus).
Well, since I disabled the “Auto-Containment” function the problem has not occurred anymore and several days have passed!

Frankly, now, I am afraid of intervening again in the various settings since the issue has not appeared anymore.

I add that in the meantime I have received some Windows updates (in particular: optional KB4598291 and monthly KB4601319), but these have been practically after the resolution (I hope!) of the problem.

Avast AV also has a sandbox and the two sandboxes are possibly not working together nicely.

Thank you for your answer. :wink:

However, during my tests, I had completely removed Avast and only installed Comodo Firewall. Nonetheless, the problem, with only Comodo Firewall and the “Auto-Containment” module activated, returned again.

Does the problem still happen with February’s update bringing version number to 19042.804?

Since you seem an advanced user I want you to check the following when only Comodo Firewall is installed. I want you to check with Autoruns if there are services, drivers or executables of other security programs are starting with Windows. I am asking coz it sometimes happens that an uninstaller leaves a module behind.

If we established there are no executables, services or drivers of previously installed security programs running we can exclude that a trace of them plays a role.

First of all, thank you so much for still considering my problem!

I come to the various points.

I can confirm that now my system is Windows 10 20H2 build 19042.804, with the February’s update inside.
Anyway, if I remember well, the issue stopped to rise up before to arrive at build version 19042.804. I was able to isolate it simply deactivating the “Auto-Containment” module of Comodo Firewall.

During my test, at a certain time, I complete removed both Avast Free Antivirus and Comodo Firewall.
To be sure as possible to uninstall these programs, I used Revo Uninstaller.
I have to say the true: I didn’t check, after uninstalled Avast in particular, if some debris of this was still in my system, but I can say that when, later, I reinstalled Avast it was like a fresh installation. Indeed I had to set up it again from bottom to up, as a complete new installation.
Always during my checks, I had only Comodo Firewall installed and the issue still rose up. As I disabled the “Auto-Containment” module of Comodo Firewall everything went well and since that time the system didn’t hang anymore.

Now I think to maintain this setting, waiting for a new Comodo Firewall release, when I’ll re-enable the “Auto-Containment” module to verify if the issue rise up.

I hope I was able to explain despite my English! :-[