Comodo Endpoint Security Manager - Enterprise Edition 1.0.2 (Beta) RELEASED!

Folks,

Be on the look out for an e-mail instructions on how to download the latest BETA version of Endpoint Security Manager - Enterprise Edition. If you are a registered beta tester (through the sign up links) you should be receiving a notice shortly.

New features:

Workgroup mode (Active Directory is not required!)

If you have any questions, problems or feedback, please let us know!

Hint: Registered beta testers can use the same links in the welcome e-mail to download the latest software.

Cheers! (L)

At first glance, it still appears to rely on having a central controller. Do you think this will affect its appeal, since it imposes a condition on the normal, transient nature of workgroups? This isn’t necessarily a criticism, just an observation based on my experience on the nature of workgroups LANs and the nature of the people who use them.

Cheers and congrats to the dev team

Ewen :slight_smile:

At second glance, you still need to have a Server 2003 install somewhere on the LAN for this to work.

In summary, the added workgroup functionality is simply workgroup discovery along side its AD discovery.

Are there plans for a version that does not require a dedicated Windows 200X server and will work on a pure peer-to peer workgroup LAN?

Hello Ewen,

First of all thank you for your attention to our yesterday’s release!

We refer to your posts of yesterday:

There must be some misunderstanding with Server 2003 matter: in fact CESM Solution does not specially require Server 2003 to be installed on any of the computers.
As product Release Notes say CESM Central Service module could be installed on a PC with any OS (namely Server 2003 , XP SP2 or Vista).
In order to work with workgroups no such thing as ‘Central Server’ is required - as you correctly mentioned added workgroup functionality is only instrument of discovery (import) of computer structures along with AD option: our Central Service ‘applies’ to automatically ‘elected’ Master Browser in order to discover and import current workgroup(s), and as you know one cannot avoid Master Browser as even in a peer-to-peer LAN it is needed to keep list of PCs in a workgroup.

Best Regards.

Thanks Slava. I’ll get back onto it.

Cheers,

So the name has changed & this is the 2nd beta?

Exactly! The major addition with the release is the fact that it can, due to popular request, manage CFP in a workgroup environment.

Thanks.

Indeed it’s a nice feature, I have 2 Laptops & 1 Computer in the same workgroup/network- This is an excellent feature, Cangrats to you and team :slight_smile:

One thing that I brought up (and was answered) previously was the idea of security - an encrypted channel by which machines in a distributed network across the internet would poll another machine to recieve thier configuration settings.

However, one other thing springs to mind - the use or access lists. Recently, another system know to us using just channel encryption and passwords, was compromised. Ideally we would like to be able to tie down any machine that listens for poll requests to only allow set machines access, probably via IP address or range. OK, IP can be spoofed, but in combination with secure channels it provide another level of security.

Chris

Good day Chris,

Re Access List

My opinion is that the method you described is exactly what firewall is supposed to do
i.e. to assign IP addresses (or range) to be allowed on the server PC.

Pleased to hear from you.

Best regards.

Hello.

Where can I register as a beta tester to help test this product.
I hope it has a web interface - I have several admin consoles already and they are becoming tiresome.

Regards,
Alex.

Hi Alex,

You can sign up on the following site:

can you please send a link for me (:KWL)