Comodo Dragon ver 21.1 is now available for download

Again did not auto-update and won’t update through the “about” function.

Hi Cyberfox007,
I noticed that you have had this issue for quite a few previous updates, this could be location orientated maybe (Not sure). :-\

What message do you get through About?

Offline from the visible thread, someone suggested SRWare Iron to me. Please note that I do not at all recommend that and think it is not a product any of us should consider.

Whatever the reason for recent branding-in-your-face issues with Dragon (CD 17 theme disable, CD 21.1 startup-with-new-tab-page-hijack to comodo.com), bug or business-policy-feature, I would rather see Comodo address that and continue development of Dragon. I’d also prefer to resume my extensive social media support and recommendation of Comodo Dragon to my 2000+ followers.

Dragon has real value-add compared to Chromium baseline or Chrome itself. Iron has been repeatedly exposed to have no meaningful code changes (do the search yourself). Unlike Dragon, it does not have value-add such as the Site Inspector, additional cert security, Sharer tool, proxy-via-extension, Comodo DNS-in-browser-only, and referrer header suppression option. None of which are in baseline Chromium nor Google Chrome either.

So if I can trust Comodo’s software quality process and their business integrity again, I can resume recommending it. And using it.

No, I’m not doing a full backup, uninstall, new profile, reinstall, even though I absolutely know how to. Why? Because I’m not wearing my 25-years-enterprise-software-engineer-security-qa hat here. I’m wearing my long-time loyal Comodo products USER hat, and I shouldn’t have to jump through hoops. Chrome autoupdated without breaking the “use new tab page at startup” setting, and on all prior releases, Chrome, and Dragon, whether synched or not synched together via Google Sync, never changed this.

I just received a PM from Melih saying he appreciated the feedback and they are looking into the issue. As such, I have kept CD on this particular PC from which I have posted. Not to mention the metric c**pload of other Comodo products which are on it :slight_smile:

Quick-fix workaround to the “Use New Tab Page” startup bug/hijack/whatever it is:

Select the “Open a specific page or set of pages” setting, and enter (without the quotes):

“about:newtab” as your desired URI. Nothing else. Delete any other pages that might be listed there.

Dragon will remap that to be “dragon://newtab/” but it will work.

Close browser, re-open. Will open up with only the New Tab page.

Shouldn’t have to do this, but it’s a whole lot easier than nuking your entire installation and user profile and re-enabling. Basically you are explicitly specifying “no page” as the “start page” by the newtab URI.

So far, so good…

============

I did disable the “settings” subopton of what to sync via Google Sync. From release 11-something when I started with Dragon up through 20.x, I just let Google Sync sync settings as well as the other options, with no regard between Chrome, Chromium, or Dragon installs, and it always worked flawlessly in all three instances of Chromium-based browsers across 5 PCs with 6 different OSs (one of the a dual-boot Linux Mint / Windows XP with Dragon on the WinXP side and both Chrome and Chromium on the Linux side.)

But I suspect that whatever is causing Dragon to ignore the “use new tab page” setting for so many of us in 21.1 has something to do with sync with real-Chrome or generic-Chromium. Note that Dragon rewrites all "about: " URIs as "dragon: ", while Chrome/Chromium and other Chromium-based browsers rewrite them as "chrome: "

It’s possible that with changes in how Google Sync worked back around release 20 (if you didn’t upgrade all instances, attempts to sync a downlevel version crashed the browser whether Dragon or Chrome or Chromium, once release 21 was on any of your systems on that sync account), something is messing up the Dragon instance of the setting. For example, it may be (pure supposition on my part) coming across as "chrome: " or as "dragon: " and being rejected by the “other” browser, and then getting dropped from sync, with Dragon reverting to its default 1st-time homepage behavior.

At least if I was going to read the code and look for where this is happening, that sync settings code is where I’d start…

Here is the screenshot of the setting in question. Also at this link from the upload by the Chrome Lightshot screencap extension I have in Dragon: Screenshot by Lightshot

[attachment deleted by admin]

And here we are at “des Pudels Kern”: a not so big change of functionality of which we don’t know the exact deliberations about.

One could call it a bug or a strategic change of functionality; regardless of one’s interpretation and appreciation of the change it is worth noticing. I also notice with you that it can be easily worked around for the moment.

So far so good. However,you have turned this into a power struggle. First by taking a polarizing swing at Captainsticks who you accuse of being on a power trip; then you turn against Comodo in total black and white fashion calling Comodo evil. You questioned Comodo’s ethics in general over a change we don’t know the whereabouts of.

Melih saw your concern, ordered an investigation and send you a courteous pm telling you Comodo is looking into this.

You are starting to loose credibility when referencing an earlier change where using custom themes got disabled because that got reverted after popular demand. You seem to forget that Comodo listens to its end users. That is not the first time Comodo listened and since you claim to be a long term user that is another minus 50 points for Griffindor.

50 points are also taken of for not even taking the effort to acquire support among the other forum members.

500 points are taken of for coercing Comodo with a veiled threat of having a blog with followers.

Another 500 points taken of for not having the courtesy to await Melih’s findings and giving the followers of your blog a workaround for the changed setting pending further investigation.

In short. Polarizing and blowing things out of proportion to extreme black and white positions using the veiled threat of having a blog with followers as leverage is firing back and about to ■■■■ in your face…

Stroke my statement about not providing the solution to the readers of Mark’s blog because it was provided before I wrote this post. Eric

Usually just keeps trying to update ie says is updating but hangs. I have to download from site. I think this only happens on my desktop and not my laptop so maybe it was a security issue as I had Kaspersky but have now switched back to MSE. I will let you know if it continues to happen with the next release.

Not sure if this will be any value. But check services.msc to ensure that Dragon is Started and set to Automatic. Then do a complete uninstall cleaning left over registry keys etc reboot, and then do a new install.

I know once to save memory I turned Auto and Start Off and had Dragon set for manual mode which stopped updates.

UncleDoug

This works fine.

I have Comodo Dragon on Desktop & Pinned to Taskbar.

If you open CD from Taskbar & leave it open & then open CD from the Desktop it opens with comodo.com

OK thank you. :slight_smile:

You should still get notified of any available updates (With the download/relaunch to install options), it just won’t update silently with it disabled. :slight_smile:

And if you miss the relaunch & install bar i.e after sometime it disappears if you dont click relaunch, dont close CD then you will have to download the updates again, instead check in the about screen there you will find relaunch & install.

Good point Naren, thanks. :-TU