Comodo Dragon Phones Home to Google?

As I mentioned earlier, what about CD being able to send, at the very least, “bogus” information to Google, when it is necessary, BUT identifying EVERY connection and the REASON for the connection?

Technically speaking, that should not be too difficult to do. So why not implement it - or at least provide the OPTION to do it?

This is not a problem, but normal TCP communications. If you close the website tab or browser, TCP connections remain open and they will eventually be closed. :slight_smile:

I think the technical challenge with controlling connections to *.1e100.net is only Google knows how they provision their services behind the domain and can probably change at any time.

Personally, I am not concerned with those connections upon casual web surfing with an anti-tracking add-on enabled. You can also enable blocking third-party cookies and/or clear cookies upon browser exit. (Settings → Privacy → Content Settings → Cookies → Keep local data only until I quit my browser) This should prevent services from building an anonymous profile of you, if you are not signed-in to a Google account that is… :wink:

I whole heartly agree with you. If I remembered correctly I believe there looking into that issue. Also I decided to look a little deeper and apperently , firefox has the same issue too.
I’m using this as a reference point, there’s others but its to keep this post from becoming too big
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/942491

If I could recommend something (it’s better then duckduckgo as there’s some discrepancy issues with them)
I would recommend use https://startpage.com/ as the homepage, it uses google, but in quote

Startpage offers you Web search results from Google in complete privacy!

When you search with Startpage, we remove all identifying information from your query and submit it anonymously to Google ourselves. We get the results and return them to you in total privacy.

Your IP address is never recorded, your visit is not logged, and no tracking cookies are placed on your browser. When it comes to protecting your privacy, Startpage runs the tightest ship on the Internet. Our outstanding privacy policy and thoughtful engineering give you great search results in total anonymity. Here are some of our key features:

Free proxy surfing available.
Praised by privacy experts worldwide.
Fourteen-year company track record.
Third-party certified.

No IP address recorded.
No record is made of your searches.
No identifying or tracking cookies used.
Connection using powerful SSL encryption.

To learn more, check out our privacy page and read our privacy policy. We’re confident you’ll like what you see.

Also here’s the link to there policy page

Just an idea for what its worth. Its hard to 100% completely invisible when using google and/or it’s services like youtube and gmail, but its a good start. Unless of course your using TOR or a VPN :wink:

Hope this might help.

I’ve been trying out DDG, but haven’t been as impressed with the search results as I had hoped. Will give SP a try.

Thanks!

StartPage.com allows you to filter by date on the left side as well as switch to images and videos easily. Their sister search IXQUICK allows the same functionality, but does not use Google search results.

What do you guys think of startpage?
To me, I did a little digging for a couple of hours. I couldn’t find any privacy issues using dragon and startpage.
Do you guys feel that this is a good combo (dragon and startpage.cpom) The search results are decent
Just wanted a few opinions :slight_smile:

+1 for CD + StartPage (or Ixquick)

Good extensions:
MaskMe Abine Blur: passwords, payments, & privacy
Disconnect https://disconnect.me/
PasswordMaker PasswordMaker - Chrome Web Store
Mailvelope http://www.mailvelope.com/
HTTPS Everywhere HTTPS Everywhere | Electronic Frontier Foundation
etc…

I’ve been using Startpage for months now and I think it’s pretty good, never had any issues finding anything except those times I couldn’t find it on any search engine. The only ‘meh’ thing is their images, I don’t know why but Google images and Startpage images show me different things and Google Images are generally more related to the search term not to mention that browsing the images is ‘easier’, I thought that Startpage took results from google, does that not apply for the images? =S

I agree with you SanyaIV Images are shown different from Google to startpage.

For Instant I typed the word Football in Images in Google and I seen Images of Footballs

Then I typed the same for startpage and I seen different Images than google.

So then I opened my search engine I use called ixquick.com and I typed the same there. But I seen the same as Startpage but on some images of footballs it showed them in different places on ixquick than startpage.

So its a bit strange.

But out of both (Startpage and ixquick) I’d use ixquick.

Reason: Startpage is run via New York and other Location

And ixquick is run from Europe. Plus one think I like about ixquick I can change into 4 different screen of choice and startpage cannot change.

(I know Startpage and ixquick are the same but ixquick is older)

Regards

Nigel

I agree with you Paul over the Extensions.

I have used Disconnect for a long while that I can’t do without it.

One thing I like I can run Disconnect and Privdog at the same time, and they seem to work in harmony together.

I have not really used Mask Me, I have got it, but it’s disabled, I just want to know what you make of it, and how it benefits you and how easy it is to use etc.

HTTPS Everywhere is great I run that with Disconnect and Privdog and I see no slowdown.

I have not used PasswordMaker so I don’t know about it.

I have just Previewed Mailvelope and it looks good but as the same for Maskme how to you find running and using Mailvelope

So Paul when your ready can you let me and other know on those 2 Questions.

Thanks in advance

Nigel

Thanks for your input :wink:

Hi Nigel,

MaskMe generates strong passwords, allows me to store my online logins encrypted on the client side and synced with other installs of the extension. It can create disposable forwarding email addresses. I use it to mask my real email address with sites and services to avoid any spam or keep my identity private. It also keeps a history of password usage, which has saved my a$$ a few times. Check out their website. :slight_smile:

Mailvelope is for folks who want to use PGP encrypted email messages. It works well for web-based email clients. I do not use it, but it’s an honorable mention. http://www.mailvelope.com/

PasswordMaker is an implementation of http://passwordmaker.org/. Very cool.

Maybe we should start a new topic for further discussion?

HTH!

Thanks Paul on your feedback.

And yes it would be a good idea to start a new Thread for further discussion.

Regards

Nigel

Your Welcome jay20076tech

To what ever you found useful :wink:

Regards

Nige

MaskMe generates strong passwords
try this one out https://www.grc.com/otg/uheprng.htm Click on "Freeze the Current Key" Pick any length password you like :) Dont bother with the random number generator part

Definitely worth checking out !

btw: i dropped use of CD. Even tough i selected to clear all history and rest (everything under “clear at exit”) i still found that in “AppData\Local\Comodo\Dragon\User Data\Default” you can still found files like: Archived History, Archived History-journal, Current Session, History Index, History journal etc etc, that stores data you can read in common text editor (ie: notepad).
Also in JonDonym browser privacy test FF with few tweaks destroys CD !
http://ip-check.info/?lang=en
7 greens in FF vs 3 in CD

I’m shocked to what I found on those tests.

I’m going to try out JonDoFox on my test Machine and see is it worth using.

Thanks for the Freedback Mark1

I downloaded JonDoFox with Firefox inside Virtual Kiosk and it runs well

But I have to say that its a whole new ball game using JonDoFox than what I have been used to.

So I’m going to keep it short since this should be in a Topic of it’s Own.

I was merely Providing Feedback

Regards

Nige

P.S. I was using free User account part of JonDoFox

Startpage uses Google but is from Europe. Google will serve different for different parts of the world. May be that’s where the differences come from?