Comodo Dragon Phones Home to Google?

Hello,
I have noticed Comodo Dragon phones home to Google (*.1e100.net) no matter how I set my preferences. For example, in settings, I have disabled the following features:

• Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar
  • Predict network actions to improve page load performance
  • Enable phishing and malware protection
  • No sign-in configured for sync

I also noticed Comodo Dragon phones home when starting in Incognito mode.

Please advise me how I can eliminate Comodo Dragon from phoning home to Google (*.1e100.net). It is the primary reason I want to dump Google Chrome, but I like the way Chromium works.

Thank you!

Topic locked, nothing is removed or deleted just wanted to add this for the other readers to be aware******

I'm locking this topic with permission from the topic starter :)

Our discussions is continued (at below)
Here it is
https://forums.comodo.com/general-security-questions-and-comments/securing-our-web-browser-and-online-privacy-t98009.0.html

If the link doesn’t work for you or stops working for whatever reason you can find it here manually

• Welcome to the Comodo Forum
    |-+ Learn about Computer Security and Interact with Security Experts
    | |-+ General Security Questions and Comments
    | | |-+ Securing our web browser and online privacy

Hi pauls,

Thank you very much. We work on this and will fix it asap.

Best Regards,
Sergey.

Indeed!

I think this should be of the utmost concern and priority!

I’m quite shocked too… people use CD mainly because of its privacy features and now we discover there’s no privacy at all with it…
Maybe it’s time to use SRWare Iron instead… :-TD

I would like to see a screenshot. (Please)
You saw it in KillSwitch?
Thanks.
P.S.
If it that I think?,(screenshot), during the work with other browser too most.
Edit: Or it ?.
Screenshot. (CID,СD)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hello, pauls
I have disabled all the items cited and deactivated these two services:

Comodo Dragon Icon> Settings

1º Languages > ‘Languages and input settings…’
disable spell checking

2º Disable this “Offer to translate pages that aren’t in a language I read”

After making these adjustments did not notice any more connection (*.1e100.net) in KillSwitch.

:slight_smile:

Are there extensions available which will do the same things as effectively?

Thanks!

Hello JWfox

I disabled those settings and Dragon is still connecting to (*.1e100.net), Killswitch still shows dragon connecting. thanks for the tip anyway.

Wow… That’s one serious flaw in CD… :frowning:

Hi Sergey - Any official update from Comodo to share with us?

So, I just re-downloaded Comodo Dragon today - version 28.1.0.0. I’ve been using it for a few hours now. I can confirm opening CD incognito mode does not contact *.1e100.net. I have also surfed a few sites paying attention to connections to *.1e100.net and I’ve found only legitimate connections called by the particular website. Otherwise, I can no longer re-produce the original post concerns.

I’ve got the following settings enabled:

• Do not allow websites to know where you came from (suppress HTTP Referrer header)
  • Enable malware domain filtering (Comodo Secure DNS)
  • Send a ‘Do Not Track’ request with your browsing traffic

Other privacy-aware features are unchecked (disabled):

• Sync sign-in
  • Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar
  • Predict network actions to improve page load performance
  • Enable phishing and malware protection
  • Offer to translate pages that aren’t in a language I read

Can anyone else confirm, plz?

Cheers!

1e100.net <—I tried putting this in the address bar and nothing came up, so I googled it.

What is 1e100.net?

1e100.net is a Google-owned domain name used to identify the servers in our network.

Following standard industry practice, we make sure each IP address has a corresponding hostname. In October 2009, we started using a single domain name to identify our servers across all Google products, rather than use different product domains such as youtube.com, blogger.com, and google.com. We did this for two reasons: first, to keep things simpler, and second, to proactively improve security by protecting against potential threats such as cross-site scripting attacks.

Yes, that’s correct. It is Google’s telemetry and tracking system domain used by most all of its services. The concern here is Comodo Dragon was connecting with servers hosted at 1e100.net without any user interaction or visitation of websites.

This causes privacy concerns for folks who choose not to be a part of Google’s tracking, graphing, marketing and surveillance products, but want to enjoy using a Chromium-based web browser.

Furthermore, enabling (checking) some of the features of a Chromium browser (such as those already listed above) phone home to Google services.

Agreed. There are some features that I would like to be able to utilize, such as the auto-translation, but without having any of my specific data transmitted to (or stored by) Google.

We need 100% transparency in the browser - we need to be able to know exactly what every option will do, and what the alternatives are.

Not sure I see why CD can’t obfuscate any info transmitted for options like the auto-translate.

Please excuse my ignorance on this matter,but i was under the belief that CD is in fact a derivative of google chrome so would it not be natural that it connects with google in some way.?

CD uses the chrome extension store etc so links with google are inevitible.
Whether we like it or not google is wrapped up in most things on the internet. :slight_smile:

Google chrome is not open source. Chrome, dragon and all the others (ironware, opera etc) are based on chromium

Exactly. I really like the Chromium experience. But, I don’t want Google spyware. I and other folks choose to dance around the Google telemetry as much as possible. There is no way I want any single company to know so much about me. I choose digital diversification and encryption. I choose not to get into Tor kind of things… yet.

I think it would be in Comodo’s best interest to at least be transparent about which CD features phone home to wherever, so the user has the ability to opt out if they so choose. Not a lot of folks dive this deeply, but they may understand the importance of online privacy. Therefore, marketing a secure, private web browser based on open source Chromium to the least common denominator benefits all.

It would also behoove Comodo to publish their Dragon source code to the public, like they do with Ice Dragon (which is based on Firefox).

This is turning into a great discussion, actually. :slight_smile:

Cheers

Hi guys, I researched about this issue.
Actually, even if you just type www.google.com and you go to that address, you can see a connection to 1e100.net. The same if you go to www.youtube.com.
The real problem is that, once you close that website, the connection to 1e100.net is still there…
I tried to follow this How To Block 99% Of Google (And Why You Shouldn’t Do It) and I was able to block 1e100.net. But doing so, I could not load google or youtube any more…
So, I think we should deal with this…

Indeed. If you visit Google websites or websites with Google service content (Google+, Analytics, Ads, YouTube, etc.) there will be connections to *.1e100.net.

If you block *.1e100.net, you will loose access to most Google services. You can certainly do that, but these are legitimate connections in most cases.

The original post concerned the connections made to *.1e100.net upon launch of the browser with no websites loaded and certain (optional) features enabled.

There are add-ons such as https://disconnect.me/ to block tracking and analytics for a large number of services including Google.

Cheers