Comodo & counterspy

Hello:

I am having a bit of a problem and have not had much luck trying to find a solution.

Background: I have Windows XP sp2.

I recently got Comact cable internet and felt that I need a better firewall in addition to antispyware programs (Counterspy, Spybot, Superantispyware, Spywareblaster, and Spyware Guard) and my antivirus (Avira Personal), so I downloaded Comodo v3 after hearing good reviews on it.

Today, after someone messed around with my computer to configure the internet service, I ran some scans to make sure everything was okay. With the addition of two cookies, the following also came up:

[b]ABetterInternet.Transponder.Ceres Adware (General)
Details: VX2.ABetterInternet.Transponder.2 is a new transponder variant of aBetterInternet.
Files detected
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\comodo\common\DB\DDB\EXE\192_d.sld

Hacktool.Rootkit Rootkit
Files detected
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\comodo\common\DB\DDB\DLL\138_d.sld
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\comodo\common\DB\DDB\DLL\509_d.sld

Trojan.Vxgame.z Trojan
Details: Trojan.Vxgame.z is a trojan program that silently downloads additional malware from the internet and lowers the system’s security settings by disabling the Windows firewall.
Files detected
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\comodo\common\DB\DDB\EXE\245_d.sld
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\comodo\common\DB\DDB\EXE\327_d.sld
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\comodo\common\DB\DDB\EXE\34_d.sld[/b]

Has anyone heard of these being real or false positives? I have them in quarantine for now, but I am confused as to whether to delete them and uninstall Comodo (which I am considering doing anyway because although I’m fairly good with computers, internet security is new for me and I am having a lot of difficulty working Comodo) or restore them? Any help?

Thanks so much,
Nikki

Were those found using CounterSpy? The last time I used CounterSpy I had about 20 false positives and my cpu was being eatin alive. I use SAS and Spybot and never any false positives. What kind of trouble are you having with Comodo? Also does your cable modem have a hardware firewall?

Yeah, those detections were from Counterspy. Sorry, I didn’t realize I forgot to mention that.

I get non-stop pop ups from Comodo asking me what to do with practically every program I have and a majority of the time I have no idea how to answer the request.

I don’t think my modem has a hardware firewall; if it does, Comcast failed to share that with us. But then again, they do offer McAfee Security Suite as an option, which comes with a firewall, so I don’t think there is hardware firewall?

Well if you type your IP address into the address bar that should bring up your modem settings. Thats how I do it for my 2Wire Gateway DSL mode. You need to read the pop ups and apply the appropriate rule. You can also set D+ and the firewall to trainging mode for a week and let it learn all your apps. After a week or so Comodo will calm down.

I used the trial version of counterspy and gimme a lot of FP’s, my machine slow down a lot.
I don’t like counterspy.

Well, I ended up uninstalling Comodo. I thought it was slowing down my computer and causing errors, but they still continued after I uninstalled it and cleaned out my registry. I still have the downloaded file on my computer in case I want to try it again.

They probably were false positives because before I quarantined them, I scanned them with Avira, Superantispyware, Ewido, Kaspersky, and Spybot and all came up clean. I am starting to wonder if maybe Counterspy has anything to do with the slowdown, even though I don’t have it in Active Protection. I’ll see what happens after I clean it off of my computer and if that was the culprit I’ll reinstall Comodo and try to figure it out.

Thanks for your help,
Nikki

CounterSpy is junk. Plain and simple. SAS is alot better. Use 4.0