Comodo compared with Symantec and McAfee

Greetings all & good morning,

Basically, Lt.ganda is right. Probably I shouldn’t have added those few “funny” words about Symantec at least here. The only intention in our posts about Symantec & those removal links was helping darkmax in case there are leftovers, which could contribute to the alleged problem.

a side note: that is not a secret that where it was (is) necessary I honestly criticized imperfections of Comodo’s uninstaller (sometimes with pictures :wink: and other evidences). And that is definitely not bashing
Perfect uninstaller is indeed extremely important component. Who has doubts about that?

Note: that was written in the side note :). I hope we will not digress and as the man wearing military helmet & smoking cigar said:

I am using Comodo Firewall only with Defense+, Proactive. I may say that there is no really noticeable difference in Applications start-ups. Regarding web pages load that is for sure not the case. The only very slight delays regarding Applications can be contributed by BOClean I may say (some call it heavy – I would not).

Well, recently I had a good chance to test performance as a whole and what we are discussing here now.
As you know from the other thread (do you?) I was compelled to uninstall CIS 3.5 and clean my system/registry manually which I successfully did. The point is. For about 2 weeks I worked without practically any security. None of Comodo’s products were installed. In many cases I was even switching Off what was left from security (AVG and that hopeless Windows not-a-Firewall).
100% no differences in web browsing/pages loading were noticed. As for Applications - that was usual story:
Within new Windows session the very first start-ups of some Applications are always longer no matter what. All other subsequent launches are instant. Most heavy “on very 1st” here – Firefox, any Adobe SC3 prog., MS Office, Open Office. There are several applications I can name, which always have start-up delay like 3-4 sec irrespectively no matter whether they were fired 1st or any other time.

Then after ~2 weeks of PC’s virginity, I reinstalled 3.5 and worked with it like ~10 days. Then I auto-updated to 3.8 (as mentioned here ). I cannot report any differences.

Another thing I had opportunity to test was Prfetching, which is close to the topic.
I am not using it actually. I don’t see any improvements in Application launching, when that feature is active. Disadvantages: slower booting and using Task Scheduler, which is one of many (> 60) disabled services here. There is no difference whatsoever concerning those 1st starts and none of any subsequent starts are faster. So why would I use it?
But it happened that in another forum some users reported having troubles when scanning Prefetch folder with their anti-malware. The scanner would freeze now and then.
In order to test that, I recreated Prefetched. That was done during the time when CIS was uninstalled. And the same was tested when CIS 3.5 was back. The point mentioning that experiment is - I was specifically testing many Applications’ Launches with and without that on-demand scanner running plus switching On and Off “onAccess” of my main Antivirus. There was no noticeable difference at all. I would definitely notice 8 seconds (!) delay just firing up one Application after another

So what darkmax is reporting is really interesting, taking in account so many hardware configurations he showed.

The only obvious difference I may see is that I am not using CAV as a part if CIS.
But as I understand other guys here expressing doubts about that as a culprit as well (???)

My regards

of course! i’ve never been wrong >:-D

have you compared CIS firewall vs other fw regarding “shared folder/application” execution?
i have that “slight” delay issue. even though i already create an allow in/out rule for 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.255 88)

where’s the OP btw ???

Sorry for the delayed reply. I had to clean install the latest Win7 (build 7057).

Before that happened, I had to removed Norton as it was at the end of my trial period. My complain with that particular product seems to be more than the trash it leaves behind. In fact, it hides all the “controls” away from the user, leaving only idiot-prrof stuffs on the surface. That bugs me a lot… I’m just old school.

Had to use the Norton Removal Utility. It worked well.

After which I had reinstalled CIS, and unfortunately, yes, I still noticed the slight delay in opening programs and webpages.