Comodo compared with Symantec and McAfee

I know people probably made similar comparisons, but I am just doing this.

For one, I have been complaining about how slow programs and webpages startup once CIS is insatalled, irregardless of the version. I only manage to notice how much difference there was when I tried both Norton 360 v3, then the McAfee suite. It was seriously significantly faster.

I have always been a fan of COMODO products, but this persistent problem is seriously prompting me to look elsewhere.

BTW, I have been complaining since CIS beta.

slow opening programs & webpages ???
i’ve never used mcafee or norton, but i’ve switched CIS with PCtools firewall & OA free (for about 1-2 days). didn’t notice any problem ??? i think i open a shared application a little bit slower with CIS, but not entire programs in my PC ???

maybe there was conflict with other programs on your comp? ???

I do not have this problem. Sounds like something is conflicting on your PC.

I can’t believe, i have no slowdowns or delays, and system resources are minimal.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7043/regioncapture.png

Turn on the virtual memory appear in task manager…that is little bit higher…

As I said, I have had this problem with more than 4 PCs I’ve loaded CIS on. They all have the same issue. If you normally don’t pay attention to these, you probably take it as nothing unusual.

However, because on my PC 10+ hours a day, I notice every little slow down. 1-2 sec may not be much for regular users, but when you stare at the PC for so long per day, it becomes apparent.

BTW, I’m not the first one to question this either.

What operating system are you using? What processor and how much RAM? We have 2 Vista Ultimate SP1 desktops, 1 Vista Business SP1 laptop, and one old XP SP3 laptop that has only a 1 GHz processor with 512 MB of RAM. Programs open instantaneously on the 3 Vista machines. If you are running Vista, in Control Panel \ System \ Advanced System Settings \ System Properties \ Performance Options \ Visual Effects leaving the “Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing” checked will cause a delay in how quickly the program opens. If you uncheck this, program will open instantaneously.

Browser opening and page loading is very fast on all these Vista machines also. I have been using CIS since it first came out in Beta and have not experienced any of what you are describing. Programs and browsers open a little bit slower on the old XP laptop, but that is to be expected, since the hardware is minimal and out-of-date. I would be interested to know exactly what your computer configuration is.

Can you please let us know your full PC configuration, operating system and all the other applications you have installed?

Also which CIS products and configurations have you been using?

There can be some overhead but not really big that can cause significant delays. Especially compared to the other products.

Thx,
Egemen

1. The PC I am using for work:

Core2 Quad 2.4GHz
8GB RAM
250GB + 250GB HDD + 500 External HDD
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 & Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (build 7048)

1. the PC I’m monitoring:

Core2 Duo 2.8GHz
2GB RAM
80GB HDD
Windows Vista Home Premium x32

Core2 Duo 2.2GHz
2GB RAM
160GB HDD
Windows Vista Home Premium x32

Core2 Duo 3GHz
4GB RAM
80GB + 80GB HDD
Windows Vista Ultimate x32

Do know that the delay I refer to is 1-2 sec on the webpages. But for the programs, it can range from 2-8 seconds.

I run not other active anti-malware apps on any of the PC.

These are well-equipped, fast modern machines that should not have any lag, especially with programs opening. Have you disabled the “Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing” Visual Effects feature so see what difference that makes for programs opening? CIS is extremely light on resource usage and should not be the cause of this problem. Have you tried uninstalling CIS to make sure that is the source of your problem? I believe that Norton and McAffee both use more resources than CIS. I ran the McAffee security suite about a year ago for a short while, because my ISP provided it free to their customers. I found it to be a resource hog and not very user friendly at that time. I don’t know about now. Our two desktops are 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4 MB of RAM and 500 GB hard drives, so they are quite comparible to several of your machines. Hopefully Egeman can give you some specific insight into this issue.

made little difference with the features on or off.

McAfee was a resource hog. I am not too keen on putting it on any system still.

I just realized something I really hated about Norton, and I used to be one of their staunch supporters, They leave a whole mess behind when you uninstall.

True… their uninstaller suck… =) Luckily they offers an “extra” uninstaller to completley remove it! ;D :smiley:
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

You could also run a registry and system clean (comodos own is very good: https://forums.comodo.com/comodo_system_cleaner_fileregistryprivacy_cleaner/comodo_system_cleaner_116494133_has_been_released-t36238.0.html ) and check your start-up programs by running msconfig and remove any unessential startup stuff (google unknown files to see so they are safe for removal, something belonging to your grafic card or such should probably be left on) ( How to use MSCONFIG: NetSquirrel.com ) and do a check what services you start with the computer see what they do, if you don’t need them remove…(http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm ) guid for vista and things you can disable to make it faster, still be careful playing here, “safe” is a good option… =) Google any unknown/wierd services to judge if they should start or not… =)

unfortunately I cannot run CSC under Windows 7, where the Norton 360 was. The last time I did, it wiped out a good chunk of my (then) Windows 7 Beta Build 7000. I could not login in the whole thing simply crashed to ashes.

hehe, I see… funny stuff that can happen when you run CSC sometimes… =P

Hi Monkey_Boy,
That’s true about Symantec, but here is a question: you link gives some Removal.exe ???
for what product? There specific ones for different products … For #360 in particular there are two of them
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Cheers

I took the link from: PC Hell: How to Uninstall Norton

According to them it should remove the following norton products:
* Norton AntiSpam 2004 - 2005
* Norton Antivirus 2003 - 2007.2
* Norton Ghost 2003, 9.0, and 10.0
* Norton GoBack 3.1 - 4.2
* Norton Internet Security 2003 - 2007.2
* Norton Password Manager
* Norton Personal Firewall 2003 - 2006
* Norton SystemWorks 2003 - 2007
* Norton Confidential Online 2007
* Norton Internet Security 2007 Add-on Pack
* Norton Save and Restore 1.0 - 2.0
* Norton 360

I just guessed it would work, being from nortons homepage and all, it was years since I ran norton last time… But seems like separate uninstallers are needed for different versions.

As there are many uninstallers offered… guess your link is the best one… this time! :wink: :slight_smile:

probably… “this time!” :smiley:

Interestingly they have other products like Symantec Endpoint and Corporate Antivirus … and so on. But there are no Removal Tools for those yet.

Symantec must develop Removal Tool first and new Software after that, I think :smiley:
“Corporate Endpoint Removal” would be the name
I’m having goose bumps just hearing “Symantec”
Cheers!

yo! stop bashing other ppl’s product >:(
nah, i was just being bossy ;D

is the problem solved yet? 88)
well, i noticed a “slighly” shared application delay issue with CIS compared with PCtool firewall & Online armor.
i had False positive issue back then with CIS,had to switched to other FW, that’s when i notice the difference. hardly notice the delay though.
so now i’m having CIS on my work PC & still have PCtool firewall on my home comp (i’m just too lazy to switch back).

so if your problem isn’t solved yet, why limit the choice to symantec & Mcafee? why not trying anything else?

You know they do that against CIS as well :slight_smile: :wink: So its just fair to give back some critic from time to time! =)

I think they have improved the uninstaller latley… :slight_smile: but that removal tool is what they should ship with norton and not any half removing uninstaller! :o