COMODO BackUp 4.0.7 Released!

Thank you for the feedback.
We will fix the issue in next release.

What file system(s) do you have on the disk?

Thanks

Hi Emanuel,

My disk is formatted as NTFS. I was going to try the Maximum Compression setting tonight, but the 120GB had been using the Medium setting.

Cheers,
Bob

I use CBU and Acronis too. If one day CBU has resque disc an start up recovery i'll use only CBU.

Backup Tools only make sense with Boot-CD/USB. Otherwise they are nearly worthless.

So every company for backup tools should consider this and schedule it with highest priority.

Btw look at Paragon, all versions up to 2011 are worthless if you own new boards because they miss to detect harddisks for those.

System Recovery and Data Backup are 2 different but important areas.

Boot CD/USB comes handy for “system recovery”.

Hi Melih,

I agree System Recovery & Data Back-Up are 2 different areas, but IMHO to have the ability within a program to create a ‘Disk, Partition, MBR’ Recovery File ( which in theory should not be kept on the same Drive as the Operating System) , this is done in case of not being able to boot the PC/Laptop into ‘Windows’ or in the event of a Hard Drive Failure? Then for the ‘non technically minded’ to just attach an external drive that contains the ‘Disk, Partition, MBR’ Back-Up insert the Boot-Disk and get their System back to a working state, and then just run CBU to restore Back-Ups of their Documents, Music, Videos and any ‘Custom’ Back-Ups would be a great addition to CBU and ‘knock-the-socks’ off the competition? :-TU

Bob

Boot CD/USB comes handy for "system recovery".

Yes, I only think in “system-recovery-mode” because backups can be done
by simply doubling a partition/folder to a external device for example.

Average user has no real use of it, except he needs automatic/scheduled backups.

…For which CBU provides half the tools for (what good is a system image without the means to restore it?)

System recovery is more important in the non-redundant-server/single-computer home environment and the finer points between the two won’t mean much when Jane Q. User’s computer won’t boot and there’s no CD to recover.

Tried with ‘Maximum’ compression settings - ran over-night as 4 Hours 53 minutes to complete - and it’s now down to 43 GB from a partition size of 292GB – Thanks Louish :-TU

There are only 2 things I can think of:

1. Ability to create filters using file attributes (for example, “exclude hidden/system files”, “exclude *.avi files with size >700Mb”)
  2. Ability to select/deselect components to be installed (for those, who prefer more simple backup utility without real-time synchronization and image mounting features and doesn’t want to install additional windows services or device drivers).

Oh, and maybe drag-and-drop in ccloud web interface (if this is not there yet)

Thanks for this realy great software

Is it intel optimized? it would be nice if it is? how many cores does it use? a cpu manager would be nice in case the user wants to save some core or add core for the backup

Thank you for the feedback.
We will take it into consideration for next releases.

It uses all the cores during backup/restore.
If you want to change this, you can set processor affinity in task manager by right clicking on the CBU.exe process

Thanks

okey. any ide how I can adjust it before it begins otherwise it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a sort of cpu manager that allows the user to adjust how much of the cpu power is allowed; not everyone is aware of affinity.

Do you also take advantage of gpu?

No, it doesn’t take advantage of the gpu and you can’t configure it to use less cpus before starting it. This is because such option is rarely used.
If you need it not to overuse the cpu you can use the process priority setting in backup step 3.

Thanks

the more unique the CB the better. Would you be able to implement Direct Compute 5 so that the gpu can help? most of the intel’s cpu have gpu that can help the cpu through Direct Compute.

Ask intel for help.

It would be good if CB could better utilize all the power that modern systems have it would also get the job done fast

Backup is pretty much IO limited, not processor limited - unless you’re doing a really high compression and or encryption… And in other imaging tools, the compression is usually decent no matter what level you set, though obviously CB is different per this thread, so . . .

Everytime when i do a default system backup the backup size increases
for eg:-
1st backup 15GB it becomes 8-9GB
2nd Backup of 15-16GB of same drive becomes 12-13GB
3rd Backup of say 16GB of same drive becomes 16GB
4th Backup of say 17GB of same drive becomes 18GB
Now i wonder why it increases so much
and if i delete the backup and do a new backup of same drive then it again gets back to 10GB

so the question now is does CB keeps on adding files instead of removing files which does not exist anymore and adding only new and changed files ?
thanks