Comodo Backup 2 Wishlist (Rev. 1)

The previous version (1.0) was faster because it performed a simple copy of the files.
BackUp 2.0 is a complete remake.
It stores the files and folders in a single file (.cbu), this means extra work for the application at the expense of speed.

Yes, Pls bring back “Synchronize” as a backup option.

Thank you for fixing the network path problem, by allowing me to type the path in!

Unless i’m missing something I can’t select a network path as my backup source? Could this be added also?

Thank you.

For us limited users under XP, prompt for admin password after starting CBU (saves having to use “run as” all the time).

:slight_smile:

my wish list

The ability to select “shut down the computer during a back-up operation”
The ability to select a file/files to restore from a back-up
The ability to pause a back up during it’s operation
The ability to set number of back-ups/keep for X days before the oldest to automatically deleted.
Schedule back-ups have an icon in the Notification area while running and to close after back-up is completed
CD bootable disc to restore image in case of emergency (or is this part of the “time machine” programme being developed?

clemo

The installer is opened a port for a connection, which nor was requested, nor the installer told me it’ll establish a connection…

“A new version of 2.78MB is available for download. Do you want to download CBU 2.0.98047.4 now?”
version vs. MB? I guess you exchange the Product name with Size.

A choice of alternative to .cbu. 7zip, for example, would be nice.

What advantages does a proprietary backup format have over common archive formats? (not a rhetorical question)

O0

WHAT? Is it gone? That’s what I like about this app. A few months ago I asked if there was to be a v2 any day and I was aswered yes. NICE! I thought that they would fix current version and add some new feature. Not a complete new application.

I mostly wanted the possibility that the Synchronize also delete file on target if we delete a source file or directory.

So, I will have to live with v1 like it is now?

Thanks

There are many advantages for having our own file format (.cbu):

• storing disks, partitions, registry entries, files, folders in the same backup file format
  • password-encryption with different encryption algorithms
  • if the backup file is password-encrypted and saved with another extension (.xyz), it cannot be distinguished from random data and no-one can force you to say the password
  • the backup file can be splitted as the backup is being performed

Fair enough.

My main concerns are:

• Not being able to restore backups without CB2 installed (Though I suppose the same goes for some other Backup applications too)

• How future-proof the format will be.

One more question: Is this compatible with windows server 2003?

Keep up the excellent work!

I can understand these concerns, although I guess it’s not a big deal to temporarily use CBU 2 in case you chose another backup solution but still have your backups in the .cbu format. Whatever happens with the development of CBU you can always use today’s version of the program. But again, I can understand your concern and I’m generally pro open formats!

Now that I know sync will be back, I’d like to submit a suggestion. I use the sync mode with a delay that work pretty well.

What I’d like to that deletion of files/folders also propagate and use a different delay.

Let’s say I use a 5 minutes delay before the source is duplicated to destination.
In the case I delete a folder, the target deletion would only happen after 2 hours. A safety mesure like I suggested after John reply.

Possibility to specify time in hours and/or minutes instead of seconds.

My computer is always on, if that matter.

Thank you.

I have mentioned this before but I would like to be able to add a time/date stamp to my backup.
I would also like the option to do a simple copy backup.

John

I would like for CBU to recognize Virtual Drives as a valid destination for the backup file.

Something along the lines of being compatible with software like Gladinet Cloud Desktop.

very surprise by ver 2
comodo backup ver 1 copy file with revision on another directory with mail notification
ver 2 not ? just create cbu?

for me it’s a problem because comodo backup 1 use this fonction to copy data on a NAS and the NAS is copied on DLT. it’s very interressant, fast and secure

ver 2 stable public do this ? or not ?

thanks

escuse my vey bad english (French) :wink:

Mail notification will be available in the next release.

Version 2 is still in testing phase…

First I would like to thanks for Comodo bckp 1.
My wish list:
Very good options: copy/move with or without deleting source, synchronization mode.
There should be 2 option for archivize files, as: the same files as sourse - not split into one file/ and to e.g. zip/rar file
There should be possibility of modify tasks - the same as at previous version.
For me ver 2 is poorer comparing to ver 1.

Hi!

Volume Shadow Copy Service option to allow backing up open files would be a great inclusion into Comodo Backup 2 …

VSS could be disabled for sync …

Hi

At the moment, Comodo Backup 2 can backup opened files.

What do you mean by ‘VSS’?

Thank you

VSS is short for Volume Shadow Copy Service (used to backup open files). See How Volume Shadow Copy Service Works: Data Recovery | Microsoft Learn

I didn’t think Comodo Backup 2 could backup opened files, so thats why its in the wishlist! Are there any plans to implement this?

We don’t use at all VSS.
At the moment there are no plans for this.
Comodo Backup 2.0 uses other method to backup files that are opened.