COMODO BackUp 2.0.105890.7 RC4 released!

Hello,

COMODO Backup 2.0.105890.7 RC4 has been released!

What’s new?

• a special service for synchronized mode backups
  • skinned setup
  • backup individual values in custom registry keys backup
  • some language strings were updated

What’s fixed?

• CBU crash when adding multiple synchronization mode backups
  • user settings restore which in rare cases failed

Known Issues:

• the backup using synchronization mode is not working if the user saves the archive on a ftp server or network computer; also the synchronized mode backup will not be performed for user settings and mail accounts
  • in rare cases, the restoration of the content of a usb stick or external usb hard drive may fail
  • for some usb storage devices, when the user is trying to restore its Track 0 and MBR, the default selected disk will be the first hard drive

Bug Reports:

Please use https://forums.comodo.com/comodo_backup/comodo_backup_201058907_rc4_bug_reports-t43625.0.html to report your bugs. Our moderators collect these bugs and submit them to the devs.

BETA NOTICE: This product is intended for special users (BETA Testers) who would like to join the testing process. It may contain major bugs that could cause serious problems and not be suitable for your everyday use yet. Please do not use it in your production machines.

Download Locations:

Setup for Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows 2003 Server 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows XP 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit
URL:
http://download.comodo.com/cbu/download/setups/CB_2.0.105890.7_Setup_xp_vista_server2003_win7_RC4.exe
Size : 9.23 MB (9,688,824 bytes)
MD5 :c48ae2c3d6ae286a4d50f83ea2311505
SHA1 : 93c242d066431e83e77d195c4d749ef802d7a0cd

(:CLP) (:CLP) (:CLP) (:CLP) (:CLP) (:CLP) (:CLP) (:CLP) (:CLP)

Good work team!!! Dev + QA + Design = LOVE! (:KWL)

Nice work guys!!

Melih

Yeah! I knew it would be released this week and I was about to bet on today. I should have, I would have win… err… nothing! :slight_smile:

I will try the sync later today or this week…

HI!

Does RC4 backup all the files into a single .cbu file like the early releases? Is there any way that the backups can be as they were in v1 without the .cbu file, so that Comodo Bakcup 2 is not needed to view the files?

Seems they took a different approach for v2 and last time I asked they said no. I don’t mind the unique file but I wish for a CBU explorer tool, something similar to Norton Ghost.

I still try to figure out if a unique file will work for sync mode though… if a unique file is modified on the source side, what happen? The full CBU file have to be redone? Make no sense… In v1 it was a snap, only the updated file was mirrored a few minutes later.

I will have to wait for next Beta to find out… errr… I mean RC. :wink:

Hi

You are talking about ‘simple copy’.
This will be available in the next release.

Hi

Yes, if a single file on source side is modified, the full CBU file has to be redone.
Though it seems that it updates only the files that changed, v1 performes a checksum on each file to see if any changes were made. This also takes time and resources.

simple copy - yes thats what I mean.

Great news that it will be available in the next release - is that planned to be the next RC release or next major release?

Thanks!

This is planned for the next RC release.

Thank you

Then I’m sorry to say that sync mode may finally be useless in v2. I was asking for it but now that how I see how it works and how not practical it is, I feel bad for that, I feel sorry for all the time you spent adding sync to v2. It could be usefull to backup very static files though…

Let me explain how I’m using v1 now. I have 45Gb of data that are mirrored on a second drive. Some failes are statics, like music and pictures but I also backup some webpages I update a few times a week, a few texts documents too, etc. 10 minutes after I modified a file, v1 was updating the file into the destination directory. It was quick and could not even notice it, no impact on the system.

Can you imagine this with v2? Not really… this would mean a 45Gb backup would start every now and then and since such a backup take 15-25 minutes to complete with HD activity all that time, it really makes no sense.

My hope for v2 was to get a v1 with some small improvement, mostly a second different timer for deletion propagation.

So for MY needs, I think I will have to continu using v1. No real problem there, it’s still working fine afterall and there is no expiration date. ;D

Ok

I see what you mean.
In a future release we will add simple copy backup with synchronization, that will backup only files that are changed. This might be helpfull.

As for ‘CBU file’ backup, we cannot update only the files that are changed without redoing the entire backup, because it will corrupt the file integrity (it might be compressed, encrypted, etc)

Thank you.

Well done :slight_smile: Just a suggestion and a feature that I’d 110% use. It’s having an tick box option to backup before windows is shutdown.

So at the end of the day once I’m finishing up on the pc, I shutdown the pc - Comodo backup intercepts this shutdown and does it’s backup and then shutdowns.

I was always thinking that label ‘RC’ implies feature freezing and bugfixing only. Too many RC’s though.

RC - Release candidate.

You are right!

Melih

Hello,

You are right with this. But users came with several requests of features we didn’t had. So, we continued the BETA state to add them all.

Sorry if this caused any discomfort.

Hi Andrei!

You guys are doing a great job and are really listening to the people who use your products… this does not always happen and is very much appreciated!

Good…that’s way I don’t use this latest RC (because there isn’t any Simple Copy option).

Hi staff, here’s something to consider. Maybe I posted in the wrong section (after all, “Help” refers to the current version of CBU):

https://forums.comodo.com/help/how_to_back_up_with_cbu_2_rc4_in_a_virtual_machine-t43968.0.html

Would you consider this as a bug or is it rather by design (the fact that “My Computer” is empty)?

Thanks!