Comodo Antispam 2.7.0.11 bug reports

Please put all bug reports for version 2.7.0.11 here. The status of version 2.6 bugs is dealt with in the “Status of version 2.6 bugs” post - so please don’t re-post 2.6 bugs here unless you think we have the wrong status, or you have new/added infomation about the bug.

To give us the best chance of resolving the bug, please include the following information with each bug report:

1. What the problems is
  2. Whether you can reliably reproduce the problem and if so exactly how.
  3. Your Operating System & version (eg XP SP3):
  4. Other Security and Utility Software Installed (eg Norton Internet Security 2009):
  5. Email client & version (eg Outlook 2003):
  6. Email client add-ins (eg Mailbuddy):
  7. Email provider & account type (eg Hotmail.com, POP3/SMTP(SSL)):
  8. How you tried to solve it, and what the result was:
  9. Please append memory dumps or screen shots if possible. If zipped, most can be uploaded.
  10. Any other information you think may help
  11. Please edit the title of the post to reflect the bug eg “CAS crashes when importing Outlook contacts”

Many thanks for your help.

[13/11/09: Updated to note that some bugs which I thought might have been fixed are NOT FIXED ]
[03/12/09]: Updated ‘Do not know yet’ section to cover a couple of other bugs]

NOT FIXED
The following version CAS 2.6 bugs remain (ie are NOT FIXED) in CAS Beta 2.7.0.11. (I’ll add to this list as I find others).

• CAS taskbar icon does not appear on reboot [Important]. HERE
  • On installation - lots of ‘mail delivery failures’ (etc) received (That is to say, I know that lots of duplicate emails are still being downloaded on installation, which implies that the bug still exists). [Important]. HERE & HERE
  • On installation CAS downloads ALL emails stored on email server [Important] HERE
  • Deleted quarantine database entries do not disappear until you force a refresh [Minor annoyance]. HERE
  • Documentation/GUI information bugs (but NB I now think the ‘only allow digitally signed emails’ policy should be renamed something like ‘Assisted manual filtering’). [Important]. HERE
  • Emails with blank or own address ‘envelope’ email header fields get through. [Important]. HERE & HERE
  • Some quarantine page processes are very slow [Moderate, can avoid by turning off spam reporting]HERE
  • Database display popped up is frequently blank [Important] HERE
  • After approving a quarantined email, 2 send receives are required before receipt [Medium] HERE
  • Inconsistencies in dealing with own email address [Medium] HERE
  • Constant reminders whe you turn off synchronisation [Medium] HERE
  • Problems with CAS AND SSL accounts (like Gmail) and PC standby mode. [Important] HERE & HERE Additional information in 2.7 bug reports below. HERE

The importance ratings, in square brackets [] are solely my opinion, based on my thoughts about what will make CAS as sucessful as it deserves to be. See the list of these criteria later in this post.

PROBABLY FIXED
In addition to the bugs reported by the developers as fixed HERE, the following bugs also seem to be FIXED.

• Conflict with Routerstats [Medium] [Either latest version of CAS or Routerstats appears to have fixed this, subject to further testing] HERE

IMPROVED BUT NOT FIXED
In addition to the bugs reported by the developers as fixed HERE, the following bugs also seem to be IMPROVED BUT NOT FIXED. (Once again I’ll add to this list as I find others).
[ist]

• CASproc.exe instances seem to lock up. [Important: Still happens, sometimes, but not always, shortly after a progam or OS crash]. HERE Additional information in 2.7 bug report below.HERE
  • Progressive OS resource consumption (Reduced, now 20 handles per send receive in Outlook, 1 per send receive in CAS under normal conditions, however if processor load is high for some other reason, the consumption of handles seems to go back up to previous levels). [Important - this can still build up to 5000 a day if you set Outllook to d frequent automatic send/receives] HERE
  • Outlook instability after installing CAS (Reduced, but not fixed - see 2.7 bug report re crashes below). [Important] HERE

DO NOT KNOW YET WHETHER FIXED

• Imports only one email address per Outlook contact [Important, but cannot check if fixed until 2.7 Outlook import crash bug is fixed.]HERE
  • Text file import bug [Important , but cannot check if fixed until 2.7 Outlook import crash bug is fixed.] HERE
  • Problems with suspend/resume and CAS. [Important, needs extended testing to be sure if resolved]HERE

CANNOT JUDGE WHETHER FIXED BECAUSE I CANNOT REPLICATE

• SMTP information incorrect. [Important, if others have reported] HERE
  • Lost all internet connectivity. [Important, if others have reported]HERE
  • Summary of bugs I cannot replicate. HERE
  • Cannot import from Outlook [Important]. HERE (Maybe same as this 2.7 bug HERE

Bugs not referred to above are currently of uncertain status.

Happy bug hunting!

[i]N.B. The importance ratings in the 2.6 bug reports reflect my personal opinion that the most important general issues to address to ensure CAS is a widely appreciated as it should be are:

• CAS and email client stability/reliability
  • Increasing usability/ cultural acceptability & reducing hassle, both for direct CAS users, and those on the receiving end of CAS challenge emails
  • Avoiding the situation where CAS challenge emails start to be flagged as spam by other spam filters. (This has happened in the past, and a resurgence would be fatal for CAS)
  • Offering a viable alternative to the ‘challenge response’ policy (for those who just won’t or can’t use it) which is still consistent with Comodo’s ‘default-deny’ philosophy. [/i]

CAS crashes when, on the authentication database tab, you choose import and choose to import from Outlook address book and then default Outlook contacts, then press the import button. A BSOD occured within a few minute of the crash - this may or may not be related.

1. What the problems is: See above
  2. Whether you can reliably reproduce the problem and if so exactly how: Always happens - steps as above.
  3. Your Operating System & version (eg XP SP3): XP SP3
  4. Other Security and Utility Software Installed (eg Norton Internet Security 2009): Comodo - CIS, CVE, CIV, CLP, Easy VPN; Other- Filezilla, Walllwatcher, Sony Ericsson PC software, Actual Window Manager, Routerstats, Revo, Process Explorer, Copernic Desktop,
  5. Email client & version (eg Outlook 2003): Outlook 2003
  6. Email client add-ins (eg Mailbuddy): (Addins: Mailbuddy - disabled, ODIR dedupe - disabled, copernic summariser - disabled, Exchange Extensions - disabled, Redemption Helper - disabled)
  7. Email provider (eg Hotmail.com): www.zen.co.uk - POP3/SMTP, www.gmail.com - POP3/SMTP(SSL)
  8. How you tried to solve it, and what the result was: N/A
  9. Please append memory dumps or screen shots if possible. If zipped, most can be uploaded.: Appended

My opinion on importance: Important

[attachment deleted by admin]

[Edited 5/11/09]
[Edit 13/11/09: Item c) SSL errors & related screenshots shifted to SSL bug report - these happen independantly of crashes]

CAS does not survive crashes well. After a Windows or CAS crash, or forced (big red switch) OS restart.
a) If you reload CAS, CAS may cause Outlook to fail when sending/receiving, exammination of running processes suggests that in many case there is a ‘stuck’ CASproc.exe instance, presumably orphaned when CAS crashes. THis is usually cured by a reboot.
b) If you reload CAS or even if you reboot CAS after a crash CAS may become and stay unstable, crashing when you click on the quarantine database, or causing Outlook to crash repeatedly when sending/receiving. I wonder if this is caused by quarantine database, or related text file corruption. (Writing to the data file transactionally would prevent this?)

2. Whether you can reliably reproduce the problem and if so exactly how: Crashes often, but not always, cause the problems described. The precise problems caused probably depdend on what CAS is doing when it or the OS crashes.
  4. Other Security and Utility Software Installed (eg Norton Internet Security 2009): Comodo - CIS, CVE, CIV, CLP, Easy VPN; Other- Filezilla, Walllwatcher, Sony Ericsson PC software, Actual Window Manager, Routerstats, Revo, Process Explorer, Copernic Desktop,
  6. Email client add-ins (eg Mailbuddy): (Addins: Mailbuddy - disabled, ODIR dedupe - disabled, copernic summariser - disabled, Exchange Extensions - disabled, Redemption Helper - disabled)
  7. Email provider (eg Hotmail.com): www.zen.co.uk - POP3/SMTP, www.gmail.com - POP3/SMTP(SSL)
  9. Please append memory dumps or screen shots if possible. If zipped, most can be uploaded.: Appended .dmp files.

1. What the problems is
    Outlook 2007 is my default email handler, but no email accounts are recognised during the initial configuration or during subesequent attempts
  2. Whether you can reliably reproduce the problem and if so exactly how.
    3 attempts, three fails
  3. Your Operating System & version (eg XP SP3):
    XP SP3
  4. Other Security and Utility Software Installed (eg Norton Internet Security 2009):
    CIS 3.12, CTM 2.11
  5. Email client & version (eg Outlook 2003):
    Outlook 2007
  6. Email client add-ins (eg Mailbuddy):
    NIL
  7. Email provider (eg Hotmail.com):
    Local ISP - standard POP3
    See point 2
  9. Please append memory dumps or screen shots if possible. If zipped, most can be uploaded.
    N/A

Mouse’s opinion on importance: Important

1. What the problems is: When an account is flagged to use the shared list:
    (i) newly authenticated email addresses are added to the account specific list, not the shared list
    (ii) also mails from addresses authenticated to the acccount specific list but not the shared list are passed through
    (iii) the account specific list is not greyed out so its difficult to tell which list is active
    (iv) authentication confirmation emails are not received by newly authenticated addresses. How this feature might work was discussed here HERE.
  2. Whether you can reliably reproduce the problem and if so exactly how: Send emails from an email address not monitored by CAS, and EITHER (i, iii, iv) not white listed on shared or account specific authentication lists, OR (ii) white listed on account specific authentication list only. Participate in the challenge/response process, checking what has happens at each stage.
  9. Please append memory dumps or screen shots if possible. If zipped, most can be uploaded.: N/A

XPSP3; MS Outlook, POP3 standard; CIS;

problem: sometimes when I try to delete spams from quarantine DB, I get errors report from windows, and icon from task bar disapears, after some period I concluded that (maybe) problem cause spam emails with attachments, possible with viruses.

Mouse’s opinion on importance: Important, but unable to replicate

1. What the problems is: You cannot:
    (i) edit the introductory “Hi xxxx” and concluding “Have a nice day” phrases in the ASA
    (ii) delete the Comodo marketing paragraph from the ASA.
    (iii) remove marketing messages from other CAS generated emails
  2. Whether you can reliably reproduce the problem and if so exactly how: N/A
  9. Please append memory dumps or screen shots if possible. If zipped, most can be uploaded.: N/A
  10. Any other relevant information: There is a broader discussion of this issue HERE

1. What the problems is: When the quarantine database contains many emails (20+), if you ask to allow domain, or sender (an action that may affect several quarantined emails), CAS (CAS32.exe) crashes, with a windows application error.
  2. Whether you can reliably reproduce the problem and if so exactly how: Happened 3 times first one using ‘allow domain’ button, second two when using ‘allow sender’ button.
  8. How you tried to solve it, and what the result was: Reduce number of items in quarantine database. The same functions then worked OK.
  9. Please append memory dumps or screen shots if possible. If zipped, most can be uploaded.: Appended screen shot of windows error. No .dmp file was permanently recorded.
  10. Any other relevant information: Seems possibly related to issue reported by Zombie.

1. What the problems is: When EasyVPN is installed, on Windows startup, CAS (CAS32.exe) starts in the context of the Easy VPN service (crdphservice.exe), not Explorer. It is started by the NT Authority/System account not a user account. Consequently it is unable to see its configuration files and runs the configuration wizard. Also when this happens on installation of CAS, as a consequence of being started by the wrong account, it cannot ‘see’ Outlook and so cannot import whitelists or email accounts.
  2. Whether you can reliably reproduce the problem and if so exactly how: Reproduced on multiple occasions, does not happen when EasyVPN not installed.
  8. How you tried to solve it, and what the result was: If you close and restart CAS it restarts in the correct context and can thereafter function until you reboot.
  9. Please append memory dumps or screen shots if possible. If zipped, most can be uploaded.: Appended process explorer analysis of CAS32 process.
  10. Any other relevant information:
    a) If Easy VPN is already installed when you install CAS, then, on the first reboot after CAS installation,you get a windows application error from Filezilla (if you also have Filezilla installed). I append a screenshot.
    b) May explain some other bug reports relating to access to Outlook for import purposes, for example that submitted by panic.
    c) I have also noticed that, even when EasyVPN is not running, CAS sometimes loads in the wrong context - for example the system idle process, or Trusteer Rapport Management service. Under these circumstances no icon appears in the taskbar. This may explain some instances of the task bar bug. See appended files.

This topic has been moved to Comodo AntiSpam - CAS.

1. What the problems is: Quarantine database, or the display of the quarantine database, becomes confused, often after carrying out an action like ‘Allow’. The Qdb items you select, and those displayed in the email viewer window are not the same.
  2. Whether you can reliably reproduce the problem and if so exactly how: Has happened now on many occasions, but unable yet to give steps to replicate.
  4. Other Security and Utility Software Installed (eg Norton Internet Security 2009): Comodo - CIS, CVE, CIV, CLP, Easy VPN; Other- Filezilla, Wallwatcher, Sony Ericsson PC software, Actual Window Manager, Routerstats, Revo, Process Explorer, Copernic Desktop,
  8. How you tried to solve it, and what the result was: Sometimes if you select another account’s QDB, then return to the original the problem clears, sometimes not.
  9. Please append memory dumps or screen shots if possible. If zipped, most can be uploaded.: Appended screenshot
  10. Any other relevant information: QDB attachment column may sometimes be partially shaded - not sure if this is related.

1. What the problems is: Authentication database display refreshes several times on every send/receive (once per account), making it difficult to perform actions on authentication databases, and consuming unnecessary resources. It should only refresh if its contents change.
  2. Whether you can reliably reproduce the problem and if so exactly how: Always happens
  4. Other Security and Utility Software Installed (eg Norton Internet Security 2009): Comodo - CIS, CVE, CIV, CLP, Easy VPN; Other- Filezilla, Wallwatcher, Sony Ericsson PC software, Actual Window Manager, Routerstats, Revo, Process Explorer, Copernic Desktop,
  8. How you tried to solve it, and what the result was: Turning off automated send/receives in Outlook while you work on the ADB resolves the problem. But this should not be necessary.

My opinion on importance: Minor annoyance, can avoid by turning off send receive while you edit.

This bug report contains added information about the stuck CASproc bug HERE This bug as noted above is improved in this version but not eliminated. It still happens, sometimes, but not always, shortly after a progam or OS crash.

1. What the problems is: Please see original bug report.
  2. Whether you can reliably reproduce the problem and if so exactly how: No happens fairly randomly. a) Assocated with crashes. b) Assocated with SSL accounts. EXamples given under any other information (10.) below.
  8. How you tried to solve it, and what the result was: Turning off automated send/receives in Outlook while you work on the ADB resolves the problem. But this should not be necessary.
  9. Please append memory dumps or screen shots if possible. If zipped, most can be uploaded.: Appended
    a) Example of crash sequence that caused stuck CASproc.exe. CAS loaded in wrong context (system idle process), & so I could not open the configuration user interface. I killed CAS using process explorer, then shutdown Outlook. Then started CAS, then Outlook. Casproc.exe hung on first Outlook send/receive.
    b) Evidence that SSL account processing causes stuck CASproc. (i) removed all SSL accounts from Outlook to a separate email client Incredimail. Since then all hung Casprocs not caused by crashes have occured in Incredimail. These hangs occur with Gmail, which appears to download mail normally apart from the occasional SSL certficate and data errors (these may or may not be linked to the hangs). (ii) Imported hotmail SSL account details into CAS (POP3 and SMTP authentication absolutely required) from Incredimail. This account does not function normally, indeed does not function at all, probably due to SMTP authentication problems (see bug report on authentication difficulties). On first send receive errors generated “Data receiving error while connecting to SSL server” and “Data sending error on connecting to SSL server”. On second send/receive Casproc gets stuck when Windows GUI stops responding, requiring a OS re-boot to resolve.

1. What the problems is: Tick in box (on advanced/passcode authentication) tab that selects user edited ASA (challenge message) disappears when you log-off and log on again. However CAS still sends the user edited version.
  2. Whether you can reliably reproduce the problem and if so exactly how: Happens every time you log off and log-on.
  3. Your Operating System & version: XP SP3
  4. Other Security and Utility Software Installed: Comodo - CIS, CVE, CIV, CLP, Easy VPN; Other- Filezilla, Wallwatcher, Sony Ericsson PC software, Actual Window Manager, Routerstats, Revo, Process Explorer, Copernic Desktop
  5. Email client & version: Outlook 2003
  6. Email client add-ins: Mailbuddy - disabled, ODIR dedupe - disabled, copernic summariser - disabled, Exchange Extensions - disabled, Redemption Helper - disabled
  7. Email provider: www.zen.co.uk - POP3/SMTP, www.gmail.com - POP3/SMTP(SSL)
  8. How you tried to solve it, and what the result was: Not solvable.
  9. Please append memory dumps or screen shots if possible. N/A
  10. Any other relevant information: N/A

My opinion on importance: Minor annoyance - no functional impact

1. What the problems is: CAS sometimes loads in contexts other than explorer.exe. When this happens a) the tray icon does not appear b) it may not be possible to open the CAS configuration GUI. c) the other problems listed under the EasyVPN bug report may appear. THe EasyVPN problem may be a specific case of this general problem. This may be one of the reasons for the ‘no tray icon’ bug.
  2. Whether you can reliably reproduce the problem and if so exactly how: Not easy to reproduce (except in case of EasyVPN). Seems to be more likely to occur after installation of new software, Windows Update, or after a crash caused by other software. (Basically anything that lengthens the boot process). Recently occurred after installation of CIS Version 3.13.119746.572, and after installation of a update to windows using Windows Update, but has also occurred on numerous previous occasions.
  4. Other Security and Utility Software Installed: Comodo - CIS, CVE, CIV, CLP; Other- Filezilla, Wallwatcher, Sony Ericsson PC software, Actual Window Manager, Routerstats, Revo, Process Explorer, Copernic Desktop,
  6. Email client add-ins: Mailbuddy - disabled, ODIR dedupe - disabled, copernic summariser - disabled, Exchange Extensions - disabled, Redemption Helper - disabled
  8. How you tried to solve it, and what the result was: On most recent occasion: Closed Outlook, Killed CAS, Restarted CAS, Rebooted, Problem still there, Logged off and on then rebooted yet again and problem went.
  9. Please append memory dumps or screen shots if possible. Appended
  10. Any other relevant information: Might this be caused by the need to load CAS early in the boot process to ensure all emails are caught? At early stages in the boot process, explorer.exe may not be loaded, particularly if the boot is abnormal for any reason. Perhaps CAS should have a service and a GUI part, the service having, say, a declared dependency on MAPI?
    [Update 22-01-10: Have noted from bootlogs and process explorer that a) When CAS loads in another context it is usually a mail enabled application b) When CAS loads in the system idle process context, it actually loaded in the context of a different application (again normally mail enabled) which then closed c) When this problem is occurring CAS seems to load at least twice, once in the wrong context, once in the right one. It’s which of these happens first that probably the determines whether CAS works normally. Hypothesis: CAS in some way hooks in to all mail enabled applications, so that they cannot send/receive without CAS. But these applications try to open CAS themselves rather than asking explorer to open CAS for them, so CAS ends up limited by the restrictions and starting context of the applications. I append some log files and screen shots which may help to clarify NB IdriveElsClient is mail enabled - cross reference the invoking process number from process explorer with the bootlog to understand what is happening.

1. What the problems is: This post provides extra information for the bug reports HERE & HERE. Summary: CAS issues data, certificate and server not found errors, in addition to Outlook send receive errors when CAS tries to connect to SSL servers. These are in addition to Outlook errors, occur quite frequently, require a confirmation, and are therefore a substantial irritation. I have now established that these do NOT only occur in conjuction with standby mode.
  2. Whether you can reliably reproduce the problem and if so exactly how: Diasbling network connection, and placing machine in standby mode gives ‘server not found’ error. DSL modem re-synch or low S/N ratio, & perhaps busy Gmail servers seem to give rise to data and certificate errors.
  4. Other Security and Utility Software Installed: Comodo - CIS, CVE, CIV, CLP, Easy VPN; Other- Filezilla, Wallwatcher, Sony Ericsson PC software, Actual Window Manager, Routerstats, Revo, Process Explorer, Copernic Desktop,
  9. Please append memory dumps or screen shots if possible. Please see appended.

My opinion on importance: Important - happens to frequently to be viewed as a minor problem, is very visual and so undermines confidence n CAS

This is additional information for bug report Here. The dump files from the previous crash appended to the bug report Here describe the same problem.

1. What the problems is: Outlook crash which refers to CEMLSP.dll in Windows event log.
  2. Whether you can reliably reproduce the problem and if so exactly how: Happens pretty randomly
  4. Other Security and Utility Software Installed: Comodo - CIS, CVE, CIV, CLP, Easy VPN; Other- Filezilla, Wallwatcher, Sony Ericsson PC software, Actual Window Manager, Routerstats, Revo, Process Explorer, Copernic Desktop, CSE
  9. Please append memory dumps or screen shots if possible.
  10. Any other relevant information: Happens more frequently when CAS used with CSE, and when system suspends/resumes in power saving mode. Unlikely to be SSL related - SSL account not included in send receive group in Outlook when this occurred.

Text from Windows event log follows:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Microsoft Office 11
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 11/12/2009
Time: 12:08:10
User: N/A
Computer: DELL
Description:
Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.8312.0, stamp 4a403990, faulting module cemlsp.dll, version 1.1.0.41, stamp 4abf3a73, debug? 0, fault address 0x0002411a.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Microsoft Support.
Data:
0000: 41 00 70 00 70 00 6c 00 A.p.p.l.
0008: 69 00 63 00 61 00 74 00 i.c.a.t.
0010: 69 00 6f 00 6e 00 20 00 i.o.n. .
0018: 46 00 61 00 69 00 6c 00 F.a.i.l.
0020: 75 00 72 00 65 00 20 00 u.r.e. .
0028: 20 00 6f 00 75 00 74 00 .o.u.t.
0030: 6c 00 6f 00 6f 00 6b 00 l.o.o.k.
0038: 2e 00 65 00 78 00 65 00 …e.x.e.
0040: 20 00 31 00 31 00 2e 00 .1.1…
0048: 30 00 2e 00 38 00 33 00 0…8.3.
0050: 31 00 32 00 2e 00 30 00 1.2…0.
0058: 20 00 34 00 61 00 34 00 .4.a.4.
0060: 30 00 33 00 39 00 39 00 0.3.9.9.
0068: 30 00 20 00 69 00 6e 00 0. .i.n.
0070: 20 00 63 00 65 00 6d 00 .c.e.m.
0078: 6c 00 73 00 70 00 2e 00 l.s.p…
0080: 64 00 6c 00 6c 00 20 00 d.l.l. .
0088: 31 00 2e 00 31 00 2e 00 1…1…
0090: 30 00 2e 00 34 00 31 00 0…4.1.
0098: 20 00 34 00 61 00 62 00 .4.a.b.
00a0: 66 00 33 00 61 00 37 00 f.3.a.7.
00a8: 33 00 20 00 66 00 44 00 3. .f.D.
00b0: 65 00 62 00 75 00 67 00 e.b.u.g.
00b8: 20 00 30 00 20 00 61 00 .0. .a.
00c0: 74 00 20 00 6f 00 66 00 t. .o.f.
00c8: 66 00 73 00 65 00 74 00 f.s.e.t.
00d0: 20 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 .0.0.0.
00d8: 32 00 34 00 31 00 31 00 2.4.1.1.
00e0: 61 00 0d 00 0a 00 a…

Comodo Antispam crashed with application error shortly after I requested a domain approval that affected several entries in the quarantine database. I tried to log off and on again to make sure the error was fully cleared. During the log-off process there was a Winlogon system error, followed by a BSOD.

1. What the problems is: see above
  2. Whether you can reliably reproduce the problem and if so exactly how: BSOD has occurred only once in the past after a CAS application error but under different circumstances. CAS application error has occured multiple times after an action in the QDb that affects more than one entry, esp. when QDb is quite full, but the error is not relaibly repeatable.
  4. Other Security and Utility Software Installed: Comodo - CIS, CVE, CIV, CLP, Easy VPN; Other- Filezilla, Wallwatcher, Sony Ericsson PC software, Actual Window Manager, Routerstats, Revo, Process Explorer, Copernic Desktop, CSE
  9. Please append memory dumps or screen shots if possible. Appended. No memory or minidump created for BSOD.
  10. Any other relevant information: Related to this report: Here but may not be the same bug as effects were more serious this time.

CAS Error from windows event file
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 10/12/2009
Time: 15:43:36
Description:
Fault bucket 06520973.

Data:
0000: 42 75 63 6b 65 74 3a 20 Bucket:
0008: 30 36 35 32 30 39 37 33 06520973
0010: 0d 0a …

Winlogon error from Windows event file
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: (100)
Event ID: 1004
Date: 10/12/2009
Time: 15:42:18
Description:
Faulting application winlogon.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 77 69 6e ure win
0018: 6c 6f 67 6f 6e 2e 65 78 logon.ex
0020: 65 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e e 0.0.0.
0028: 30 20 69 6e 20 75 6e 6b 0 in unk
0030: 6e 6f 77 6e 20 30 2e 30 nown 0.0
0038: 2e 30 2e 30 20 61 74 20 .0.0 at
0040: 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 30 offset 0
0048: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 0000000

Text read from Blue screen (BSOD)

STOP: C000021a Fatal System Error 0xc0000005 (0x000000000) (0x00000000)

Comodo Antispam 2.7 does not seem always to remember the approval of a domain. For some email accounts and not others CAS seems to let through approved emails, but does not register the approval of the domain on the authentication database. The next email that comes through after an attempted domain removal is sent a challenge response message. Update (16/12): Applies to domain blocking as well - am continuing to investigate. Update (16/12): Likely that this problem was caused by authentication database corruption. Exporting affected account’s ADB to a .bwl file, then re-importing the .bwl file appears to have fixed the problem, for now at least. Question is why do the ADB’s get corrupt?

2. Whether you can reliably reproduce the problem and if so exactly how: Happens reliably when the ADB is corrupt.
  5. Email client & version: Outlook 2003 (also Incredimail, not involved in this bug)
  9. Please append memory dumps or screen shots if possible. Appended
  10. Any other relevant information: Screen shots show from address information about 2 affected emails with the same domain, but different user and display names. The full header of one of the emails is pasted into the report below. For each email, domain approval was attempted but no entry was found on the authentication database (shown in screenshot), even after the emails had been passed through to the client.The QDb display on receipt of the next email after the domain was approved is also shown in a screenshot - status is ‘awaiting challenge response’, not ‘approved’ as it should be. ADB file presumed to be corrupt appended (Exporting and importing this file using .bwl format solved the problem).

EMAIL HEADER
Return-path: <bounceadvfn-mike=buddandsykes.co.uk[at]listserv.advfn.com>
Envelope-to: mike[at]buddandsykes.co.uk
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:11:22 +0000
Received: from bastion02.mail.zen.net.uk ([212.23.6.48])
by zencphosting13.zen.co.uk with esmtp (Exim 4.69)
(envelope-from <bounceadvfn-mike=buddandsykes.co.uk[at]listserv.advfn.com>)
id 1NK8pl-0007MN-V8
for mike[at]buddandsykes.co.uk; Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:11:21 +0000
Received: from listservc.advfn.com ([212.113.23.140])
by bastion02.mail.zen.net.uk with esmtp (Exim 4.63)
(envelope-from <bounceadvfn-mike=buddandsykes.co.uk[at]listserv.advfn.com>)
id 1NK8pd-0008Pt-Og
for mike[at]buddandsykes.co.uk; Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:11:21 +0000
Received: from listserv1 (10.0.9.2) by listservc.advfn.com id h4oe500cnj0e for <mike[at]buddandsykes.co.uk>; Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:06:05 +0000 (envelope-from <bounceadvfn-mike=buddandsykes.co.uk[at]listserv.advfn.com>)
To: mike[at]buddandsykes.co.uk
x-job: 1
X-Sender: <galvan[at]advfn.co.uk>
X-Mailer: ADVFN Mailer 1.0
X-Priority: Normal
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:10:20 +0000
Subject: Should you buy RBS shares right =?ISO-8859-1?B?bm93Pw==?=
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=“==_=_MMSE_ADVFN20050517”
X-ZenAWL-Match: false
X-Zen-Test-Spam-Score: -125
X-Zen-Test-Spam-Bar: (------------)