Command line scanner

There is a new command line scanner in V4 of the firewall which is wonderful but what is the command line you need to enter so that msn or firefox or whatever scans the downloads with avast it used to be C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe . So what say you comodo what’s yours?

I use this one :

C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cavscan.exe (%1) (with Orbit Downloader and Download Statusbar under Firefox).

What is (%1) and how do you use it with firefox I know how to use it under say msn as there is a field asking for the command line somewhere in the options tab.

Hi,
(first of all, sorry for my bad English please. And notice: I’m not a developer, so…)

%1 is a variable that contains the first argument requested by a program. The first argument requested by Cavsan.exe is the name of the file that must be scanned (if you launch cavscan.exe in a Dos prompt, it will ask you for this argument - as you can see it in the first attached pic). In the case that interests us %1 is, of course, the name of the last downloaded file.
For Download Statusbar configuration, see second attached pic (french version).
An example of scan result after downloading of an eicar test file is illustrated in the third attached pic.

[attachment deleted by admin]

So that (%1) tells CIS to scan the last downloaded file. Or to make it clearer to scan the file being downloaded. (Your English is better then my understanding right now!)

No.

As Camille said, %1 only tells that cavscan should treat the first accessed file.

Here, it is the one being downloaded, but it would not have the same behavior if locally scanning e.g. a folder, as then no one knows what would be the first accessed file.

(Sorry as Camille is, i am also a french speaker)

Right I am not stupid (I hope!) I am still confused it is not due to the fact that they are not native English speakers. It’s the fact that I am confused. So say for msn it’s tools then options then under file transfer if I wanted it to scan every downloaded file do I just put C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cavscan.exe or do I add the %1 as well?

Correct.

For example, if we have configured MSN using “C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cavscan.exe %1”, when you click on an MSN link for X.EXE to download it, X.EXE is substituted for %1 when the scanner is invoked by MSN. The command then becomes " C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cavscan.exe X.EXE".

Hope this iclearer and helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Sad enough (in my opinion), no one knows anymore about basic batch scripting and using environnment variables, altough this issue again shows this knowledge to be very valuable.

Too true Brucine, I stll like writing batch files. They’re relatively simple and are a great way of doing multiple tasks in a single action simply.

I have a t-shirt that says “I don’t exercise, but I do run script files”. :smiley:

Ok ta yes I do understand it now, as for learning to write batch files why would one need to really? Anyway I digress so why did comodo not go down the same route as say Avast and do a C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cavscan.exe yep and maybe that might be a really silly question to others but meh :slight_smile: As that worked with avast or did they set up their scanner differently?

With a name like ashQuick.exe, I would assuming they created a special .exe for this situation so a command-line argument was unnecessary. I ran an AV many years ago (can’t remember which one) that had a special .exe for shell scans like this.

Thanks but is it not true that CIS scans everything on your HD and RAM so should it not scan files downloaded from the net by default? Meaning that the command line scanner is overkill or not?

Exactly, but only if the real time monitoring in CIS AV is enabled.

Sweet panic :slight_smile: