cmdagent.exe incredibly high CPU usage

Hello,

I have been using the Comodo Internet Security for less than a month, installed it when I reinstalled my Windows(7 Home Premium). It has worked good, but ever since I installed it I notice that occasionally the cmdagent.exe process starts to take a very large amount of my CPU, with no apparent reason. It goes from 0% to 90%, intensively for short periods of time and only stops when I shut down every single application I use and give it a minute or two idle time.
I have no idea what causes this, as I don’t have a lot of software on my computer, everything is legit, I got absolutely no spyware, viruses, trojans and etc.
It can’t be overheating either, because I am using a Dell laptop and I additionally bought a Belkin cooling pad, that is really really good, so the fault must be in the Internet Security software. There is no other explanation, as this process starts taking up the large portions of CPU randomly, not when I start a certain application/s.

What could be causing this? Perhaps it is some configuration I missed? Everything is set to pretty much default settings, I have no sandboxed programs and no suspicious software.
There is no other process taking that much of my CPU, ever.

Forgot to mention that my HDD isn’t full either, got over 40% available.

You are using an OEM laptop that most likely came with a preinstalled security program from Norton or McAfee.

Start with remembering what security programs you had installed before you ever started using CIS.

Nest step is to make sure that there are no left overs of previously uninstalled security programs around. Not all uninstallers do a proper job. And left over applications, drivers or services can cause all sort of “interesting effects”.

Try using removal tools for those programs to remove them. Here is a list of removal tools for common av programs: ESET Knowledgebase .

Let us know if that helped or not.

Thank you for the reply, but I haven’t used any other security programs on this installation. As I said - I reinstalled Windows recently, and I installed CIS straight away.
There was no antivirus software preinstalled once I finished the installation, which I made using the provided by the Dell along with my laptop CD.
The only security things besides CIS are Windows Firewall and Windows Defender, which I think are disabled and their Comodo counterparts are in use.

Do you know what else may be causing this?

When you said reinstalled Windows did you use a Windows installation DVD and did not restore a factory image that came with your Dell?

Can you see if the spikes coincide with CIS updating the av definitions?

This FAQ may help: Solving high CPU problems.

I used the Windows Installation DVD, that was provided by Dell, along with my laptop.

I have updated everything(av definitions included) to the latest version and I still get spikes, just not as often.

I will look further into that and post here if it helps.

I have the same problem. I noticed that it only happens when I open my browser (chrome). Loading a webpage takes ages, but once the site is fully loaded cmdagent goes back to normal and everything is fine. I found another post on this forum which suggests a solution: https://forums.comodo.com/forum-policy-violation-board/cmdagentexe-and-cfpexe-high-cpu-usage-on-xp-issue-report-t75250.0.html;msg537520#msg537520
I’ve tried this and it seems to work, but I feel it might compromise internet security.
I’m using CIS version 5.10.

Advise anyone?

Hi ravenangel,
The Database set to update in real time scanner settings, updates at system start and then a regular intervals.
This could cause some lag soon after booting the system especially if it has not been used for some time as then the updates have to play catch up.
Having it disabled will not compromise your security and just to be safe manually update it once or twice a day.

CIS does not rely on the AV for security in the first place. It’s the sandbox/D+ combo that does that job. The av is of lesser importance.

However, even when only updating the av database only a couple of times a day there is always the cloud database which is always ahead of the local database on your computer.