CIS vs NIS challenge : What is the real challenge ?

Hey Red,

Nice to see you back around the boards again. :smiley:

Maybe it’s as simple as Comodo responding to a Symantec blog post that was, IMHO, a bit on the silly side of the street.

There would undoubtedly be an additional marketing aspect to it, but if Symantec hadn’t fired the first shot, there would have been no cause for a response and no avenue for the additional marketing leverage.

IMHO, worrying about the “effect” does not obviate the need to examine the “cause”.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Might I ask where is this blog post by Symantec?

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2009/07/04/symantec-its-dangerous-to-rely-on-free-antivirus/

To correct myself, the blog post was based on a quote from David Hall, Asia-Pacific PR Director for Symantec.

Whether this is an “official” Symantec post isn’t made clear in the article, but he is quoted as making this statement and the article quotes his internal position at Symantec, so it can be assumed that the article was originally vetted and passed by Symantec.

Cheers,

and this proves that its systematic within Symantec:

“Freeware vendors have created a false perception that free, basic security is enough to protect you from today’s online threats,” says Janice Chaffin, president of Symantec’s consumer business unit. “The reality is, free is not enough. It’s like wearing a light windbreaker in a snowstorm.”

(both links are in my first post in my original challenge)

Melih

I think the idealists improve this world. I never thought about the Internet because I relate to this industry just as the end user - I only use the technology of communication, rather than create it. Melih is trying to remove the possibility of infections from spreading through the internet. It is ideal for the end user, because I too believe that the internet is very important to us - we can communicate with each other and, work together, not separated by borders, and so many other things. Of course financing development must come from somewhere and I know only one company in the field of security, interests which do not intersect with my - own guess what :). Remaining profitable permanent establishment of the threats and the pursuit of their healing - they will die if there is no threat, and they know it, and it goes on and on. Comodo as it tries to deliver the vaccine into the system of information exchange. The motto coined, “Install СIS - stop infecting internet” ;D

PS: Personally, I used the СIS from the third version just because of ideology, and after the fifth version I do not know if I can than replace that functionality.

Can U elaborate on this, please ? Here or in the separate blog entry. Very interesting what you think on this subject :-La

With the innovation of Printing…Guttenberg press around 1450…i believe human raced benefited from the ability of “sharing” and “retaining” knowledge. Until press was invented, generations had amnesia… with Guttenberg press, we were able to retain and share this knowledge…hence we saw an industrial revolution following that…

What is Internet if not this Guttenberg press on stereoids! So because of Internet’s ability to connect, share, retain knowledge at much higher levels than available before, I am confident that this will lead to another “industrial revolution” of some sort in the near future.

So I take it upon myself to make sure Internet is secured and not become a feeding ground for malicious intent.

thanks

Melih

Thanks

Don’t mean to upset the apple cart, and not sure if this is the best place to post this link but I think it seems like a fair review of the two products. (I am a happy CIS user honest) ;D

http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/201039/6199/Review-Comodo-Internet-Security-vs-Norton-Internet-Security-2011

CIS stopped any infection! which is a great result!

So this proves Norton IS NOT better than a free product!

Melih

“Sharing knowledge” still seems to be a long trip.

The man creating industrial printing circa 1450 was not called Guttenberg but Gutenberg, and only mechanized what the Chinese did before him at least 300 years before.

Stating that industrial printing, of course a major step, starts sharing human knowledge is an insult not only to the Rosette stone and the Qumran manuscripts, but also to the oral transmission of knowledge still known in the last century in American Indians tribes, and even today with similar mechanisms all over the world, e.g. in Amazonian populations, of which “modern” ethnopharmacologists still try to learn mysteries of local vegetal and animal “drugs” largely incomprehensible for the "modern science " at the day speaking.

I think a more correct way of explaining it would be to say that the printing press (industrial printing) was responsible for a faster, more widespread sharing of knowledge, that enabled information to reach farther, more quickly than it had before, fueling a greater acceleration in innovation.
This is not to say that oral traditions or things like the Rosetta Stone had no effect, but rather that their effect was more localized and the information was spread more slowly.

How is this a victory for Comodo? Nis clearly won, removing ALL COMPONENTS of the virus. The only thing that remained is the registry key. On the other hand Comodo left the malware container behind. Also it flagged process explorer as suspicious.

I sort of agree with you, in so far as I would also like to see Comodo’s removal capabilities lifted.

However, saying that components left on the file system constitutes a hazard is like saying a parked car is a danger to pedestrians. The leftover components are a sequence of 1’s and 0’s. Their potential for damage is only realized if they are loaded into memory and executed.

Until they are executed, they are, like the parked car, chock full of potential but a long way from actualization.

Cheers,