CIS V10 - No longer useable

In April I uninstalled CIS V8 (from my WinXP SP3) and installed CIS V10/6209. Took some time to get rid of V8, but at the end it was working.
After having waited some time I decided last week to upgrade to V10/6223 with the offline-installer, … wrong decision !

After the first reboot (before the AV-update) as far I remember no problem, but from the next reboot problems started :

• after the “Windows is starting up” and the “Loading your personal settings” I got an 100% empty desktop
  • pushing the reset-button being the only way out, and this a random number of times to get once again the complete desktop
  • tried everything (install check, uninstall + old removal tool + reinstall several times a.s.o)
    no way to have the desktop every time.

Finally uninstall + old removal tool + reinstall V10/6209, an guess what … 6209 has same problem now.

Having never rebooted/reset my machine that many times (over 30 times) on a single day in my life :-, I gave up and removed CIS completely from my machine.
And I consider that a pity ! But actually I don’t trust it anymore and don’t want to start again an all-day taking reboot-session

Referring to earlier topics, above is also a demonstration why

• a decent COMODO registry cleanup tool should be available
  • all installers should be available as offline-installers (complete and not just the limited one as for now)

Last week 10.0.1.6246 was released to fix windows XP issues. Why would you use an older version is beyond me.

Very interesting reply and probably difficult to imagine that at the moment I did start with 6223, that one was the latest, no 6246 available.

But where is the answer to : initially the 6209 was working, after the difficulties with the 6223, the same was happening with the 6209.
I’m sure that isn’t beyond …

Simple, because older versions work! There doesn’t seem to be any advantage to upgrading to v10 unless you want all of the extra Web safety stuff.

Older versions are less secure. Please stop using unless you’re experiencing a real issue or limitation.

Back on topic :

In April I uninstalled CIS V8 (from my WinXP SP3) and installed CIS V10/6209. Took some time to get rid of V8, but at the end it was working.
After having waited some time I decided last week to upgrade to V10/6223 with the offline-installer, … wrong decision !

After the first reboot (before the AV-update) as far I remember no problem, but from the next reboot problems started :

• after the “Windows is starting up” and the “Loading your personal settings” I got an 100% empty desktop
  • pushing the reset-button being the only way out, and this a random number of times to get once again the complete desktop
  • tried everything (install check, uninstall + old removal tool + reinstall several times a.s.o)
    no way to have the desktop every time.

Finally uninstall + old removal tool + reinstall V10/6209, an guess what … 6209 has same problem now.

Having never rebooted/reset my machine that many times (over 30 times) on a single day in my life :-, I gave up and removed CIS completely from my machine.
And I consider that a pity ! But actually I don’t trust it anymore and don’t want to start again an all-day taking reboot-session

Referring to earlier topics, above is also a demonstration why

• a decent COMODO registry cleanup tool should be available
  • all installers should be available as offline-installers (complete and not just the limited one as for now)

Have you recently tried the newest version of 10.0.1.6246? You’re just re stating your opening post so I’m guessing you haven’t tried installing the newest release.

The fact 6209 initially was ok, but was demonstrating the same problem after 6223, worries me, especially because the problems start after the initial antivirus-updates, i.e. the first reboot is ok. Might be related to that AV-update (signatures) ?

Before uninstalling Avast + ZoneAlarm and install 6246, I want to have an explanation of the changing 6209 behaviour.
I really don’t want to spend another day rebooting my machine

6246 states Higher Windows XP compatibility, but there is no information what this might be related to

I don’t know it could be any reason though it is interesting that it did happen again when reverting to a previous version. As for 6246 fixing XP issue it is referring to multiple reported issues combined in this topic. If you do decide to install the 6246 build, make sure you fully remove any other 3rd party security software and use if available their removal tools to limit incompatibility issues with the install of CIS.

So I gave 6246, initially with great problems : got into an endless reboot-loop, no way to get into Windows again.

Managed to launch Safe-mode, but CIS can’t be uninstalled in Safe mode, so had to tweak to be able to get into Windows again.
There the uninstall crashed and a re-install gave an error.

Finally I decided to tweak the registry by removing every entry referring to Comodo (-path)
I found a lot of entries even back to V7 !

After that I did 2 reboots (to be safe) and then installed 6246 again.

Guess what … now everything is working

Demonstrating again that Comodo should have a decent Registry Cleanup tool (for all versions combined). In another topic someone said there is no need for it …
The many people getting into trouble and needing to tweak the registry show the need for it.
This topic being an example