CIS Should Monitor Other AV's Installed Alongside And Act Accordingly [W2]

1. What actually happened or you saw:
Currently when you install a second AV alongside CIS there are no warnings. It just allows you to have both running. Also, even if you install another AV alongside CIS, if you disable the AV it will warn you as if there is no AV running at all.

2. What you wanted to happen or see:
I would like to see CIS automatically ascertain whether another known AV is installed alongside CIS. It could then alert the user that having more than one real-time protection installed is not recommended, and allow the user to choose which to disable.

Also, if the user chooses to keep the other AV, but not uninstall the AV component of CIS because they want to keep it for on-demand scans, CIS should therefore not give an X in the tray icon as if something is wrong. It should also not show AT RISK in the main GUI window. If there is another known AV running alongside CIS it should act accordingly, and not alert the user as if there is no AV running. The Windows Action Center should also be configured accordingly so that there are no false warnings from it as well.

3. Why you think it is desirable:
I think this is desirable because many people use the Firewall with another Primary AV. This option would allow even more Comodo users to keep Comodo AV as a secondary scanner with the ability to make full system scans, or run right-click scans.

4. Any other information:
None

Thank you for submitting this Wish Request. However, I think what may be even more beneficial would be if CIS had the ability to automatically detect if another AV is installed alongside it, and automatically disable any disabled AV warnings in that case. I don’t see a reason that wouldn’t be possible, and no wish for that has yet been submitted.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Chiron,

Thank you for submitting this Wish Request. However, I think what may be even more beneficial would be if CIS had the ability to automatically detect if another AV is installed alongside it, and automatically disable any disabled AV warnings in that case. I don't see a reason that wouldn't be possible, and no wish for that has yet been submitted.

More than turning Off the AV warnings but if 2 antivirus programs will be installed of them will need the Real Time Scan turned Off.

In most instances the Windows Action Center should pick up the AV Name and Status but sometimes on rare occasions new or language may cause a problem with the Action Center decoding the information. So the CIS Installer could look to the Windows Action Center for that information. But allow for manual input when needed.

During the install CIS could ask the user IF they want the Comodo AV to be the secondary AV since it detects the other AV. Does the user want to turn Off the Real Time Scan for CAV OR do they want to turn Off the Real Time Scan of their current AV ?

I am disappointed in the Windows Action Center.
Everything Defaults to hidden Icons and I had to manually add both CIS and Avira to the taskbar.
Over the years I have had either the AV or the Firewall not load so I like the reassurance when I see the icons for both the Firewall and the AV.
The tiny flag of the Windows Action Center does not catch my attention as easily nor tell me what is wrong unless I click on it.
The icons are a little bit more obvious, but IF something CRITICAL occurs alternating Blue and Red lights around that icon should certainly catch most users attention.

I use “should” instead of “would” because most of us do get distracted.

Edit: To Summarize

1. CIS Needs to better recognize when other AV are installed and adjust or turn off Warnings accordingly

2. I want to keep CAV installed but run it as a secondary av with the right click scan capability

3. Had suggested that CIS could grab the information name, update status from the Windows Action Center for Windows7 and Security Center for XP. Not sure what it is called in the other Windows Operating Systems.

Note: Found the Action Center gives incorrect Warnings. At least twice it showed that Avira was Off but it was On, it only needed to be updated. Although the easy way, another way might need to be considered.

Thank you for explaining. I modified the first post (although I have temporarily saved a quoted copy of the original), and altered the title. Have I correctly captured your wish?

Thanks.

IF the developers can include these changes within the Full Install of CIS it would easier for the user, BUT a 3rd option would make the user aware of the multiple antivirus scenario.

I still want to use CAVS as a secondary AV and have the ability to right click scan !

What the developers are able to do we will find out in the future ?

I just hope they can utilize the Windows Action Center for ensuring no False alerts for CAVS being turned Off and picking up on other installed Antivirus software names and status (updates needed, etc).

Thank You again,
UncleDoug

Thanks. I just added that part about the Windows Action Center. Does everything seem correct?

Yes Thanks

Thank you. I just added a poll. Does everything look correct?

PM reminder sent.

Chiron,

I edited my message after the wish to ensure that they understand the wish.

You can move the this wish to the board to be voted on.

Thank You again,
UncleDoug

Thank you for submitting this Wish Request. I have now moved this to the WAITING AREA.

Please be sure to vote for your own wish, and for any other wishes you also support. It is also worthwhile to vote against wishes you think would be a waste of resources, as implementing those may slow down the wishes you would really like to see added.

Thanks again.

+1 to your wish, but since more and more av products tend to have incompatibility problem, I think cis is perfect as all in one security product.

I’m sorry, but at this time this Wish Request has received too many negative votes. I must therefore move this to Rejected. I hope you understand.

Thank you.