CIS "improved" v.5 update = Disaster

Here we go again. Updating the CIS program created more problems than any virus I’ve ever had.

The latest: None of my program apps work now. Not Adobe photodeluxe, not my photo viewer, not my media players, not my registry cleaners, not even my System Restore. Only CIS and IE8 works that I know of.

Only the photoshop and printscreen showed up in sandbox. Both listed as Partially limited but not functioning.

Tried exiting CIS…no change. Unintalled CIS and programs work again.

Ive unintalled and restarted computer some 15 times.

Ridiculous.

Why didn’t you just remove that applications from the sandbox?

One reason is, I can’t even figure out how. I’ve searched through the various tabs, etc, I saw nothing about that, only how to run an app in the sandbox.

The REAL problem is my programs dont work properly now.

I pressed the Active Process list to find that my media player and registry cleaner program ARE in fact running, but nothing of the program itself shows on the screen. (If you follow what I’m trying to say)

I just double clicked my Audicity mp3 editor and my Glary Utilities. Like all other apps, there is an arrow with the timing circle for awhile then its gone…checked Active Process list and yes, they’re running but nothing of the program shows on the screen.

If you trust the files that are in the sandbox, in the main summary window, click the number of the unrecognized files. This will open another window listing these files. Add a checkmark next to the name, and click Move To and select Trusted Files.

You’ll probably need to exit the applications (probably through the task manager if their GUI’s aren’t showing up) if they’re already running in the sandbox, then restart the applications.

HeffeD:
There is a 0 next to “unrecognized files” and a 2 next to “application running in sandbox”
Clicking the 2 shows my Gadwin printscreen and Adobe photodeluxe programs, but there is no further action I can take other than right-clicking, then terminating or submitting. I clicked submit, and it says, “Submitted already” which I already did with ver.4.

None of this helps the fact that my other programs along with the 2 above, are unable to be used.

I have since navigated through the CIS program and found and disabled the sandbox feature. This solved the problem. My programs are now “showing themselves” and I’m able to proceed normally.

That is a major glitch in the sandbox feature in CIS that needs addressing.

Hmmm… Only unrecognized files (or those specified by the user) should be running in the sandbox.

How did you answer when the alert popped up that the applications were being sandboxed?

There was no alert. I only learned the programs were sandboxed when I viewed the summary page of CIS and the number 2 next to “app running in sandbox”, indicating obviously 2 programs were sandboxed. It did this entirely on its own.

It will automatically sandbox unknown programs. You would however get a small notification screen in the right corner right over the systray. May be you missed it.

Nope, didn’t miss it. Since I was changing versions, I was fully expecting notifications screens to “relearn” which programs I run as trusted and “allow” etc. Nothing appeared. I was waiting for it.

Again, with the desktop on screen, I dbl-click the shortcut of any program I have on my desktop for example. The “timing circle [formerly hourglass] and arrow” appear for a few seconds, then disappears. The program I started did not appear to start and there were no popup notifications from CIS. The desktop is still on screen. I did this with several programs. I then started CIS by dbl-clicking system tray icon. Thats when I learned of 2 programs being sandboxed. I then clicked on “active process list” to find that the other programs I had started, were if fact running, even though nothing ever showed up on screen.
Sliding the bar from enable to disable for the sandbox security level seems to have solved the problem as for as I know. All the programs I’ve started so far have acted normally, with most of them having various notificaions screens popping up as it relearns which programs to trust. Obviously nothing relating to the sandbox popped up since it was disabled.

Relearn is not what I would be expecting after an upgrade installation. Not having to go through the learning and setting up cycle is the unique selling point of the upgrade installation.

Again, with the desktop on screen, I dbl-click the shortcut of any program I have on my desktop for example. The "timing circle [formerly hourglass] and arrow" appear for a few seconds, then disappears. The program I started did not appear to start and there were no popup notifications from CIS. The desktop is still on screen. I did this with several programs. I then started CIS by dbl-clicking system tray icon. Thats when I learned of 2 programs being sandboxed. I then clicked on "active process list" to find that the other programs I had started, were if fact running, even though nothing ever showed up on screen. Sliding the bar from enable to disable for the sandbox security level seems to have solved the problem as for as I know. All the programs I've started so far have acted normally, with most of them having various notificaions screens popping up as it relearns which programs to trust. Obviously nothing relating to the sandbox popped up since it was disabled.
Were those programs sandboxed when you used v4?

It looks like you found a compatibility problem because the application are not starting. What happens when you remove the affected programs from the Unrecognised Files list and start them again?

What programs are affected?

If I remember correctly, v4 asked me if I wanted to run the program in the sandbox, which I would respond no, compared to v5 doing it automatically.

They all started once I disabled sandbox

I never had any programs in the unrecognised files list, its empty.

The strange behaviors have started again.

I restarted my computer just now and my programs will not start again. They are running, as shown in the active process list. Double click shortcut from desktop and timing circle then nothing started.

Discovered something new though, if I pin the desktop shortcut to any program to the taskbar, then press the icon, the program starts. That triggers somehow, the abililty for the other programs to start the normal dbl-click way. Everything seems back to normal.

I didn’t change setting in sandbox, so maybe disabling it didn’t solve the problem after all.

But I do know that this problem occured after installing and running CIS v.5.

Need some help, heroes.

There may be a clue in the fact the programs can be started from the taskbar but not from the desktop shortcuts. Can you see if the Desktop is in Blocked Files or Protected files and folders?

Can you also show us a screenshot of the Defense + logs? They are under View Defense + Events.

OK, just to be clear, I could, and now can, start programs again from desktop but this is only after starting a random program pinned to taskbar. Also, before, when programs wouldn’t start from desktop, they wouldn’t start from the start menu button as well.

Desktop is not listed anywhere. Blocked Files and Always Sandbox list is empty.

There were 4 events when I turned on laptop out of hibernation for the first time today. (abbr.)
Windows \system32\ MRT.exe access mem CIS\cmdagent.exe (3x) and cfp.exe (1x)

But no events after I restarted computer and the returned strange behavior occurred.

I am curious if the problem still persists if you would try a clean installation of v5.

If you are willing to do so start with exporting your active configuration in More → Manage My Configurations. Having done that you can import it after installing v5. You can also save your bases.cav to save you the hassle from having to download the latest av database after installing.

With the above done enable Windows Firewall, uninstall CIS, reboot and run this clean up tool.

Now install CIS. During the installation it will do a cloud look up of running programs to facilitate a smoother first boot. Don’t reboot when it is done and put the back up bases.cav in the scanners folder. You can also import your old configuration if you like and activate it. Then reboot.

Let us know how things go.