CIS and Solid State Drives

Recently I have purchased a new Solid State Drive to replace the current HDD on my laptop computer. I’m wondering whether CIS is optimized for Solid State Drives and won’t waste unnecessary disk cycles. Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with SSD? All input is greatly appreciated.

Optimized for SSDs? No I very much doubt it considering the frequent logging, inability to move logging to another drive (not moving full logs to other drive but moving the actual logging to another drive), the fact that VTRoot is located on the C: Drive and you can’t move it (or use memory based storage for it)

(Why would it be useful to move it, well if you have the ability to move the things that require the most continuous writing then you can move them to an HDD rather than an SSD and that way spare the SSD from some writes, although by doing so those tasks that does the write may be slower since HDDs are slower than SSDs)

But to be fair, modern SSDs can generally sustain a very very high number of write cycles before they die, theorized to be at least 2 petabyte if my memory serves me right, which it rarely does (meaning don’t listen to me because I’m probably wrong)

TL;DR: No it’s not really optimized for SSDs however it won’t really be that big of an issue for modern SSDs.

Off-topic: Just out of curiosity, what SSD did you get? Personally I have a Samsung 830 Desktop (256GB) as a backup drive (Where I store images of my system drive) and a Samsung 850 Pro (256GB) for my System drive, been the Samsung 830 as my System Drive previously and have currently written a total of ~14166GB to it and it’s still running fine.

Edit: If you are worried about writes to the drive then there are far worse offenders than Comodo even built into Windows, for example System Restore points, Paging File and Hibernation File. (Personally I disable these to save some space on my System Drive, rather than the Write Cycles. I personally have no need for a Hibernation file and while Paging File is needed for proper BSOD memory dumps I just don’t see the need for it otherwise given I have 16GB RAM and it’s running fine with it off. System Restore I’ve turned off because historically it has messed up more than it has solved for me and I have Macrium Reflect set up and use it frequently which means System Restore is essentially not needed for me.)

Edit 2: I would suggest reading up a lot before you start disabling certain features in Windows, generally I wouldn’t recommend it unless you’re 100% certain of what you are doing. Also read up on write cycles and modern SSDs. When I say that I don’t mean just reading one article, but rather reading a wide array of opinions and arguments to get the widest possible perspective and then base your decisions off of that.

I bought a SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SATA III, it was a fair price for my budget and basically fits my needs for a more optimized system to increase productivity. It says it will last 1.75 million hours but I’m not completely sure though.

I want to be sure that CIS won’t be too detrimental to the overall lifespan of the disk. I think it won’t but I guess time will tell.

Here is the Amazon store page for more info on the SSD: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-2-5-Inch-Height-SDSSDHII-240G-G25/dp/B00M8ABEIM

I’d say that these x y hours usually are bull**** but the truth is that modern SSDs can really take a beating in terms of write cycles before they fail, in comparison to older SSDs. Regarding the effect of CIS on SSDs, I’d say it’s probably no big deal when you compare it to all other things writing on the system, it’s most likely a “drop in the ocean” as they say, but who knows, maybe it is affecting SSDs more than one would think.

Thanks for your input I’ll install CIS on my SSD when it arrives, and I’ll disable file source tracking. I’m hoping that the next major release of CIS improves things for SSD users.

SSDs have been available for quite a while, I doubt the next major release will have much if any difference when it comes to the wear on SSDs. Pretty much the only thing of importance they would be able to change is the ability to define different locations for different kinds of databases and storages (like VTRoot, logs, trusted files database etc) and since much of that has been in the wishlist since long ago, I’d doubt anything will change with the next major release.

“Disclaimer”: I’ve had a bottle of delicious sparkling wild strawberry wine, meaning I’m kinda drunk at the moment so don’t take my comment as 100% fact or anything like that, thanks. :slight_smile: (For example I just re-read what I just typed and can’t remember typing any of it… yeah…)