CIS and BoClean updating

Hi,

I’m running CIS and BoClean on my PC.
I got a msg that the latest CIS should have the BoClean in it. So no need for the BoClean stand alone app.

I’m trying to figure out what should be the best process to update my PC without loosing any configurations (firewall , AV or defense setting).
What I plan to do:

1. Download the latest CIS from your web site.
  2. Save the current CIS proactive settings on my HDD.
  3. Disconnect PC from my internal LAN & WEB
  4. Uninstall BoClean and CIS
  5. Restart
  6. Install the latest CIS ( from #1)
  7. Select the proactive configuration
  8. Import the CIS proactive settings from #2

Is this correct? Should I do additional steps? Or it is a shorter option here?

Thanks in advance,
C.

Welcome to the Forum, Cris_Na

1. Yes
  2. No 3.9 uses a new format which is incompatible with older versions.
  3. No need to. Your router firewall will protect you for the [short] time you have your software firewall disabled/uninstalled.
  4. Yes to both.
  5. Yes
  6. Yes.
  7. Yes
  8. No, as responded to.

Thanks John for your quick replay.

If I understand you correctly the old settings can not be imported into the new version.
In this case how can I “transfer” the old settings to the new CIS?
I hate to do all the firewall/defense settings again…:slight_smile:

Cris

You can’t but the easiest way around that is to do as follows. After comodo asks you to restart, don’t. Untick the restart and click finish. Double click on the comodo icon on the desktop, go to the D+ tab, advanced on the left, then D+ setting. Put the slider in training mode. Hit ok and restart. Once restarted you can put it back into safe mode.

The old settings can’t be imported into 3.9? ??? I did a clean install to 3.9 and imported my 3.8 settings right afterwards and have had no problems.

The only thing I can find in the change log is “IMPROVED! Configuration Management window is changed”. Nothing about the format changing/being incompatible.

???

when I imported from 3.8 it ■■■■■■■ up my updating for the AV. It said signatures were up to date when they weren’t.

Haven’t had any updating problems so far. knock on wood

I also found this post by Eric. Funny thing is, I have noticed better times when updating my policy.

Forgive me. My understanding of the Rules file is the file format has changed to make for a more efficient format and quicker access (no long waits if there are many rules). Importing will cancel this out. Also, the AV database location is now hard coded into CIS. Importing may seriously affect this since the location is include in the older configuration file.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.

That’s how understand the new configuration format as well; this was said by one of Comodo’s staff members. But there never was an in depth explanation though which I find kind of unsatisfying.(:NRD)

The update path for the AV is carved in stone in the binary and I am pretty certain the path in the registry will be discarded.

Hi,

Ok, I understand that the export it is not working properly.
It is a workaround for migrating from 3.8 to 3.9 with preserving the settings/configurations?

C.

The export works but you don’t get to enjoy the advantages of CIS being quicker when adding or changing rules. That’s all.

I hope this cleared things up some more for you.

Like I said in my previous post, even with importing the 3.8 config, I still notice an increase in performance with the D+ policy. Would starting from scratch be better? Probably. But I would hate to give up my fine-tuned policies. :stuck_out_tongue:

I noticed a difference on my older hardware (see my signature). On what hardware are you running?

Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.73 GHz
2GB RAM

Definitely a more potent machine.