CFP v3/276 must close after attempting to submit Pending File

Hello All,

This bug happened twice and each time CFP said that I found a bug and and provided me a place to describe what I was doing when the bug reared it’s ugly head. I will post the details here to make sure this bug is resolved but to do this, I must recount the details of a previous problem that I believe is related because both seem to focus around the same file: the mysterious “Dgx.exe” where “x” equals a number such as “Dg1.exe” or Dg2.exe, etc)

As a last ditch-effort I had to recently uninstall and reinstall of CFP because Defense+ was registering that it was blocking explorer (block file) from deleting certain executables in the recycle bin. Here is the original topic on posted on this error with screen shots of the windows error I was receiving as well as CFP logs:

https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/defense_block-t17489.0.html

I reinstalled CFP, went through the setup and defined my trusted apps. As a test, I sent a Battlefield Vietnam Patch I had downloaded a while back to the recycle bin; this was an executable that I could neither delete nor restore when I sent it to the recycle bin under my previous installation of CFP. When I tried to delete it, I would get “Cannot Delete Dg1.exe: Access Denied”. Basically, I could not do anything to this app and prior to my reinstallation of CFP, I could only regain control over it in safemode.

Fast forward to my new installation of CFP. I once again put the BF Vietnam patch into the recycle bin to see if I would encounter the same problem. I did it a few times last night without incident; it was only this morning I received the bug error twice and each time CFP was forced to close.

I’ve attached a screenshot of the pending file similar to the one I was dealing with at the time the bug appeared. My questions would be:

• Is there anything I can do in regards to this bug or just sit tight until a new version of CFP is released?
  • Should I not submit those pending files that are “Dgx.exe” until a new version of CFP is released?
  • Is it normal for my system to rename executables “Dgx.exe” when I send them to the recycle bin?
  • Is this a possible sign of a virus/malware?

Back on 12/19, I did discover a virus infecting about 5 files but they were all deleted. I ran numerous scans thereafter with three different AV solutions (I used Stinger, and Bitdefender on demand scanners in addition to my SpySweeper with AV) and I even checked for rootkits but all came up clean.

Anyway, I hope this helps and do let me know if I can contribute to the process of resolving this bug.

Best,
Max

(V)

[attachment deleted by admin]

[list]Greetings!

It would be nice if you could include this too:

1. CPU (32 bit or 64 bit)
  2. Operating System information (including Service Pack Version)
  3. Actively-running security and utility applications

Actually, you shouldn’t submit them at all. They’re just the files in your recycle bin.

Files keep their name when they’re sent to recycle bin (I checked D:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1417001333-329068152-839522115-1003), but it seems like CFP will rename it (it named my file dd7.exe).

Nope,don’t worry about that.

Cheers,
Ragwing

It would be nice if you could include this too:
  1. CPU (32 bit or 64 bit)
  2. Operating System information (including Service Pack Version)
  3. Actively-running security and utility applications

Sorry about that! :-[ Here ya go:

1. Pentium Dual Core 32 bit
  2. XP Pro, v2002, SP2
  3. Security Apps running are: SpySweeper w/AV. I also have SpyBot SD but don’t load the teatimer so I basically use it on-demand. As for utilities, I run UPHcleaner always at startup and CFP takes note of this in the pending files as modified, but I just ignore it. Incidently, I do have this listed a trusted app.

Other things running that might be of interest are quickbooks updater and Bonjour Service by Apple which I believe is connected to Adobe Illustrator. Also, I play Battlefield 2 which is mostly done online via servers. An app associated with this is PunkBuster which runs in the background to stop cheaters. This also appears in my pending files as modified after I’ve played the game, but don’t know if it matters. Both PB and BF2 are trusted apps.

Actually, you shouldn't submit them at all. They're just the files in your recycle bin.

Good deal. This may be a product of my own IT ignorance but the pending files review does get time consuming and overwhelming. It’s hard to tell in many cases which files really need my attention and which I can just ignore. It would be nice if I could adjust CFP to limit the files it flags for review (probably another topic already started on this somewhere).

Let me know if you need more info or if there are any tests you want me run on my own.

Best,
Max

(V)