CFP v 2.4.18.184 ---> Network Control

I just installed CFP, I have a log entry that I cannot explain, it is my machine reported to be connecting to my Gateway, I have allowed the access, (the access was blocked by default) but I do not understand what is actually happening and why.

Date/Time :2007-02-16 09:44:27
Severity :Low
Reporter :Network Monitor
Description:Information (Access Granted, ICMP = PORT UNREACHABLE)
Protocol:ICMP Outgoing
Source: 192.168.1.2
Destination: 192.168.1.1
Reason: Network Control Rule ID = 5

Can someone explain the circumstances of this activity to me.

Thanks

Matt

Hey Matt,

The line in red is the critical thing here. Can you please post a transcript of what your rule 5 is? Or a screenshot?

Ewen :slight_smile:

Hi Panic:

Thanks for the reply. My rule 5 is the default Rule 5 which is:

Rule #5

Action = Block (create an alert if this rule is fired)
Protocol = IP
Direction = In/Out
Source IP = Any
Destination IP = Any
IP Details = Any

====================================================

While you are at it, can you also tell me something about the following entry please:

Date/Time :2007-02-17 20:06:24
Severity :Medium
Description: Inbound Policy Violation (Access Denied, IP = 192.168.1.3, Port = nbdgram(138))
Protocol: UDP Incoming
Source: 192.168.1.3:nbdgram(138)
Destination: 192.168.1.255:nbdgram(138)

192.168.1.3 is one of the 3 PCs on my Wireless network while 192.168.1.255 is the Broadcast address of my router, the same entries are ALSO found for Port 137.

What activity is taking place and should I allow it or not ?

Thanks

Matt

Ah ha! “One of 3 PCs”! If you have CFP installed on a PC that is part of a LAN, you need to create a zone that encompasses the IP addresses of all the PCs on your LAN (including your router) and then set that zone as trusted.

1. Open CFP
  2. Click SECURITY - TASKS - ADD/REMOVE/MODIFY A ZONE
  3. Clck the ADD button
  4. Give your zone a meaningful name and enter the start and end addresses of the LAN.
  5. Click SECURITY - TASKS - WIZARDS - DEFINE A TRUSTED NETWORK
  6. When prompted, select the zone name we defined in step 4
  7. This wizard will create two additinal network monitor rules and position them as rule 0 and 1

These steps need to be done on each PC on your LAN that has CFP installed.

The traffic you’re seeing on ports 137 and 138 is normal LAN setup traffic and is how PCs identify the other nodes on the LAN. This is normal and will be automatically allowed once you have defined trusted zones on all the CFP equipped PCs.

Hope this helps,

Thanks, it is very useful.

I saw a recommendation for the following rule to be added.

Action=Allow
Protocol=UDP
Direction=In
SourceIP=Broadcast address of router (192.168.1.255)
Destination=PC ( I assume the range of LAN IPs)
IP Details=Any

My questions are:

1- If I define a Trusted Zone, then do I need the above rule or not ?

2- What is the harm in allowing the traffic “In/Out” instead of just “In”, as defined in the above rule ?

Thanks again

Matt

Hey Matt,

1. Not if you define the zone as going from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255.

2. If you use a zone, it will automatically allow IN/OUT traffic to and from the zone.

Cheers,

Hi Ewen:

Thanks for your advice, I configured everything as you suggested, all seems well except that everyday I see numerous entries in my log, identical to this one:

Severity :Medium
Description: Outbound Policy Violation (Access Denied, Protocol = IGMP)
Protocol:IGMP Outgoing
Source: 192.168.1.2
Destination: 224.0.0.22

192.168.1.2 is my machine which is one of the three Win XP Pro SP2 machines connected to internet via a wireless router. I do not have any application that runs in the background that could possibly be tying to connect anywhere to download any video clip that could generate the above noted log entries everyday all the time. These entries occur even if the other 2 machines on my network are off.

Could you kindly help me understand this entry.

Thanks again

Matt

Hey Matt,

For info only :

From Wikipedia The Internet Group Management Protocol is a communications protocol used to manage the membership of Internet Protocol multicast groups. IGMP is used by IP hosts and adjacent multicast routers to establish multicast group memberships. It is an integral part of the IP multicast specification, like ICMP for unicast connections. IGMP can be used for online video and gaming, and allows more efficient use of resources when supporting these uses. IGMP does allow some attacks, and firewalls commonly allow the user to disable it if it will not be needed.

There is something on your PC attempting to send out an IGMP packet to the destination IP 224.0.0.22 (Any idea what this IP is? Something at your ISP perhaps?). Although IGMP is usually associated with online gaming and video, it can be used for other online activities.

Are there any indications in the logs as to what application is attempting to send?

Are all of your applications working, even if these IGMP packets are being blocked?

Please note that an entry in the log doesn’t necessarily indicate an error. It is an indicator of activity, attempted activity or failed activity. Just because it’s in the logs, doesn’t mean it’s bad.

Hope this helps,